Autopsy Freo owned by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I have only watched the game live and then only 3 quarters of it, so my opinion will probably change but disappointed me the most was the lack of impact from Aish and Lobb.

Its one thing for young players to drift into and out of a game (and the season), for an undersized defender who has been immense all year to finally come up against one big body too many, for the game to catch up with an aging star.

But guys like Lobb and Aish are established players brought into the club at great opportunity cost. These guys are expected to wear their big boys pants all the time. Its time to show up, get your hands dirty, and show us who you really are.

TL;DR for eff's sake Lobb and Aish just watch David Mundy play and go with him.

I have only watched the game live and then only 3 quarters of it, so my opinion will probably change but disappointed me the most was the lack of impact from Aish and Lobb.

Its one thing for young players to drift into and out of a game (and the season), for an undersized defender who has been immense all year to finally come up against one big body too many, for the game to catch up with an aging star.

But guys like Lobb and Aish are established players brought into the club at great opportunity cost. These guys are expected to wear their big boys pants all the time. Its time to show up, get your hands dirty, and show us who you really are.

Not sure you can put Aish and Lobb in the same bracket considering the massive difference in cost between them.

The giants are a flighty type of team when there hot there hot and literally unstoppable. When they cruise and go through the motions they get belted and very easily.

We did flog them in canberra last year so it proves there very inconsistent and unfortunately for us they chose yesterday to turn it on and we never a chance.

No doubt they went after Fyfe physically and it worked. I reckon seeing Fyfe get ragdolled sent the youngsters into their shell.

Forward line is too small and dont provide enough pressure to keep the ball inside forward 50 to justify the forward line selection atm especially leaving Hogan out. We are a tall short and also to provide an outlet coming out of back half unless its tabs or fyfe we have no one else there to take a contested grab.

I said after hawks game we were making progess but still not scoring enough for my liking should be aiming for 12 goals a game even with shorter quarters. We scored 296 in 7 games at optus for an average of 42 a game. The only time we hit 60 was collingwood game and we kicked straight 10.1 with 11 scoring shots. Thats not enough.

JLo and side need to lift that up by about 4-5 goals next year and we could be a top 6 team. Until we score more fluidly we will struggle to go the next level

Agreed, they've both been rubbish for weeks.

The past couple of months finally caught up with Ryan & I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if he can’t back up for the Richmond game, he looked sore at the end & for his fitness they might need to rest him & just play Dixon back there. Not ideal, but he looked cooked.

It was an inevitability, Ryan has done an amazing job punching above his weight but it's not sustainable. Our back line only needs to be off by 5% to get rolled by guys like Cameron when they decide to show up. The main issue though is we need all our senior players to step up to help out the kids, not just Mundy. Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, etc. are having a great season, but if guys like Lobb, Walters, Hill, Blakely etc. disappear, I don't see how we ever win a game like that let alone against GWS.

Unless there's some underlying problem (and even then, only if its fixable), he looks cooked. I'd give him the rest of the year to turn it around, but its difficult to see on current form how there's a spot on the list for him in 2021.
He gets next year.

A uninterrupted preseason would do him the world of good.

We've had a pretty good month of football and even looked competitive in many parts of the game yesterday.

Is it a coincidence we had our worst defensive game just after Prior was let go? Not sure if he was still coaching for this game but he has been excellent at holding the glue down back for our undersized defence. I'm sure JL is a master defensive coach but any sudden changes can cause issues on field. I actually thought we'd be conceding 15 goals a game every game when all of Pearce, Hamling and Logue went down. The fact we've done so well is a credit to the boys.

Our midfield is mostly a young brigade and they were completely shut down by a stronger, more experienced outfit. We'll improve in time.

Our forward line is a shambles and I was secretly hoping Hale would be given his marching orders - Sumich is a divisive figure but he made the absolute most out of our compromised forward line (consisting of an old Pavlich, Mayne, Ballantyne and a very green Walters). Our forward line looks utterly bereft, how many times did players swivel on the spot and make a bizarre choice. They look nervous and terrified to even have the ball in the forward 50.

Fyfe, Walters and Lobb are all low on output - Tabs is our only consistent man and as we saw with Pavlich a one-man band is not enough. GWS were extremely confident in their forward half.

We have Hogan and Sturt as 2 forwards in waiting but the club needs to revolutionize the way they treat that ground - because if we ever get to another GF we'll probably kick our first goal in the 4th this time.

So far Longmuir has been trying to turn us into a Collingwood or Eagles by lifting our disposal efficiency by kicking it 15-20 metres out of the backline keeping possession until we get it around the wing and then maybe going long. The last couple of weeks Ryan, WIlson, etc just seem to be running out of the square kicking it as long as they can to a pack and then yesterday when we were killed at the contest it just kept coming back into the forward line.

Our forward line looks utterly bereft, how many times did players swivel on the spot and make a bizarre choice. They look nervous and terrified to even have the ball in the forward 50.
Crowden comes to mind. Grabbed the ball in the pocket and looked like he was about to have an instinctive snap with his L, but instead stopped balked turned back around and went to centre from the deep pocket with his non-preferred R and instead grubbed the kick about 15 metres for a turnover. Just made no sense at all.

Crowden comes to mind. Grabbed the ball in the pocket and looked like he was about to have an instinctive snap with his L, but instead stopped balked turned back around and went to centre from the deep pocket with his non-preferred R and instead grubbed the kick about 15 metres for a turnover. Just made no sense at all.
Yeah, that was just a dumb play. We were going off at the game as that happened. Probably a sign of a midfielder playing forward rather than a guy who has played forward pocket all his life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having finally watched the game, I don’t think a thread title has been so apt.

GWS penciled this one in as a line in the sand game. Their planning was great, tie up Fyfe (literally tie up Fyfe), attack our young players & expose our small defence.

It showed with 2 teams with 2 different agendas & a lot to learn for us. If your not up & about for every game, you’ll get your pants pulled down & far too many players went missing for long periods of time. You can’t expect it just to happen each game & our intensity was off from the start, then it was too late.

Aish, Crowden, Blakely, Lobb & Bewley (& Henry, but that is to be expected) went missing for large chunks of the game & you just can’t have that. I think playing our young mids in the middle has been great for their development, but it has definitely been to the detriment of Fyfe & particularly Walters.

A balance has to be found there, the longer Fyfe plays forward, the easier it has become to defend him. There needs to be more surprise in his move forward & he was kicking more goals pushing forward from the midfield. Walters just needs to pull his finger out & work harder.

The past couple of months finally caught up with Ryan & I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if he can’t back up for the Richmond game, he looked sore at the end & for his fitness they might need to rest him & just play Dixon back there. Not ideal, but he looked cooked.

As JLo said, lots to work on after that one, but it was good to see us fight it out.

You often hit the nail on the head

But that name of yours,it’s like it’s straight from Donald Trumps playbook

You often hit the nail on the head

But that name of yours,it’s like it’s straight from Donald Trumps playbook
I’m going to go on record & say that I didn’t really plan on commenting very much, so the name was a bit flippant. Once posting often, I thought ok, I’ll change the name, but then found it couldn’t be done!!🤪
Oh well.

Something I've noted lately is Shuey speaking to the umpire for literally half the game while Fyfe just goes about his business. I'd be ropable in regards to that hold in the first.

We've had a pretty good month of football and even looked competitive in many parts of the game yesterday.

Is it a coincidence we had our worst defensive game just after Prior was let go? Not sure if he was still coaching for this game but he has been excellent at holding the glue down back for our undersized defence. I'm sure JL is a master defensive coach but any sudden changes can cause issues on field. I actually thought we'd be conceding 15 goals a game every game when all of Pearce, Hamling and Logue went down. The fact we've done so well is a credit to the boys.

Our midfield is mostly a young brigade and they were completely shut down by a stronger, more experienced outfit. We'll improve in time.

Our forward line is a shambles and I was secretly hoping Hale would be given his marching orders - Sumich is a divisive figure but he made the absolute most out of our compromised forward line (consisting of an old Pavlich, Mayne, Ballantyne and a very green Walters). Our forward line looks utterly bereft, how many times did players swivel on the spot and make a bizarre choice. They look nervous and terrified to even have the ball in the forward 50.

Fyfe, Walters and Lobb are all low on output - Tabs is our only consistent man and as we saw with Pavlich a one-man band is not enough. GWS were extremely confident in their forward half.

We have Hogan and Sturt as 2 forwards in waiting but the club needs to revolutionize the way they treat that ground - because if we ever get to another GF we'll probably kick our first goal in the 4th this time.
You'd think the sudden exit from the club of coaches (and players) they've gone on a journey with probably would've shaken and/or deflated a few of the younger players. I'd say Longmuir would be well on top of the defence strategy side of things, being most likely his baby.

Pre-match, I suggested the Giants were ripe for the picking because they were out of sorts, I also added that if they magically "clicked", your boys will struggle to stay with them.

As it happened, they found that magic elixir and were quite comprehensive in victory, I certainly wasn't expecting that result, I'm sure you folks weren't either. I can't put a smile on my face either, my mob were woeful today too. :(

Liam Henry kicked that nice goal, looks like he has the skill set to be a damaging player, will all come down application & hunger. I hope he really applies himself and becomes a four-quarter player.

Mundy, how old is he now..... 407 ?? Still running around like a teenager !!

These last few rounds will be great opportunities for some of the lesser lights on your list to be given a game to help with their development plus show what they have in their kitbag.

Time to look for the positives.

Not sure you can put Aish and Lobb in the same bracket considering the massive difference in cost between them.
Aish cost less, sure, but it was still a 2nd rounder. And we're covering a salary.

At the moment he must be costing us quite a few dollars per kick.

Aish cost less, sure, but it was still a 2nd rounder. And we're covering a salary.

At the moment he must be costing us quite a few dollars per kick.
Aish was a downgrade from 2nd to 3rd + a 4th. Not sure his salary but lets guess around 500k.

Lobb was a downgrade from 11 to 14 plus 19. Reportedly on around 700k.

Absolute chalk and cheese, especially when you consider Lobb has only had one stand out game and Aish was very good for 4-5.

Aish is so far from being a problem that it is a joke you would liken him to Lobb who should be one of our best half dozen players but is hanging on by virtue of there being no fit replacements.

Aish was a downgrade from 2nd to 3rd + a 4th. Not sure his salary but lets guess around 500k.

Lobb was a downgrade from 11 to 14 plus 19. Reportedly on around 700k.

Absolute chalk and cheese, especially when you consider Lobb has only had one stand out game and Aish was very good for 4-5.

Aish is so far from being a problem that it is a joke you would liken him to Lobb who should be one of our best half dozen players but is hanging on by virtue of there being no fit replacements.
Totally Lobb was a more expensive acquisition than Aish. At the time we got Lobb, I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines of Lobb being better than Tabs but not so much better as to justify the price. Well Tabs has gone past Lobb now as a forward, and Lobb isn't doing as much in the ruck as he did at GWS (he had always been a better ruck than forward I reckon). Lobb should be feeling a lot of pressure.

But just because you are a salary dump doesnt mean you get a free pass. Aish is an established mid career player who is playing very average anonymous football. Its OK to have some nice deliveries inside F50 when things are going well but a game like last week is when you need experienced guys to stand up. Right now I would prefer to have a rookie on 100k and save the balance of Aish's wage for Cerra or Serong's next contract.

Hopefully things will improve in Queensland.

Totally Lobb was a more expensive acquisition than Aish. At the time we got Lobb, I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines of Lobb being better than Tabs but not so much better as to justify the price. Well Tabs has gone past Lobb now as a forward, and Lobb isn't doing as much in the ruck as he did at GWS (he had always been a better ruck than forward I reckon). Lobb should be feeling a lot of pressure.

But just because you are a salary dump doesnt mean you get a free pass. Aish is an established mid career player who is playing very average anonymous football. Its OK to have some nice deliveries inside F50 when things are going well but a game like last week is when you need experienced guys to stand up. Right now I would prefer to have a rookie on 100k and save the balance of Aish's wage for Cerra or Serong's next contract.

Hopefully things will improve in Queensland.
We'd have 15 blokes chewing up salary I'd rather spend on Serong or Cerra performing well worse than Aish. I'm also hesistant to put too much blame on him when Fyfe and Walters are doing next to nothing recently. I think he should play better, sure, but singling him out is just bizarre. Wouldn't be near to our highest earner and cost roughly what it cost to get Tucker into the club. Tucker was no better overall than Aish is either.

Not sure what you said but I definitely said that Lobb was no better than Tabs (back then) as a forward and is clearly a level or two below now. Agree otherwise. He only plays well when marking everything down the line (round 1) and is basically mediocre elsewhere. I think is fine as the 2nd ruck and to draw a KPD, but is not 700k or first round pick worthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back