Autopsy Rd 17 Blues lose to the bottom side after awful first half

Who played well in Round 17 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You do have to question what goes on in the heads of these players.... it's like she'll be alright as we've gotten out of messes like this a lot in the last 12 months, instead of "whoa, what can we do differently to fix this!". After leaking 3 goals straight it's time to batten down the hatches a little you'd think.

Another rule I'd instigate for the short term is any player in the forward 50 arc should have a shot (unless someone is blatantly clear within 10 metres out with no oppositions within 30 metres), too often we've screwed the pooch by trying a dinky pass in the f50 instead of just kicking it for goal.

Our midfield got absolutely dominated by a mature but not great Crows midfield. 10 of the top 12 ball winners in the match, they smashed us in the contest in the first half and we couldn’t regain control of the ball.

For the coach, if he’s gonna try and play rope a dope he also needs to stop the opposition from scoring while he’s doing it. Setting up a lazy zone in the widest part of the ground and letting the opposition walk the ball through isn’t gonna win many games.

I liked the games from McKay, Gibbons, Setterfield, Jones, Walsh but I hope the coach goes back to the fast starting team with the high forward press next week and then makes some changes to slow things down when the opposition gets their run on.

Has nothing to do with mentality, it is coaching and structure

Could players be frustrated with aspects of the gameplan? Absolutely

But you can't have mental weakness one weak and then mental strength the following after winning, coming from behind after being 7 goals down

In fact that suggests the side believes that it can beat anyone on a given day

This starts with Teague

Ridiculous.

I get why people love the Gibbs chair off. But at the end of the day we are supposed to be a professional football club that is judged by wins and losses.

We seem far more interested in the feel good stories. From the Gibbs situation to the Eddie Betts return.
With the Gibbs commentary, the videos of all the old boys in the middle chatting, the articles, the Sunday arvo time slot..

It honestly felt like, and was treated as an exhibition match between 2 clubs that have a bunch of mates on either side. Bizarre considering we still mathematically had a finals shot.

The chair thing was nice I guess, game is over, no point sulking and what not. But yeah, was weird vibes.

Simpson and Murphy should not be there next year! Too many times this season has the siren sounded a

This is why Murphy needs to go. His tactics are rubbing off on our younger players and instead of going in hard and earning free kicks, they are seem to be playing for free kicks!
Simmo is playing splendidly. I do not agree about Simmo

I'm concerned at the fact that we never see Teague on the phone, or even better, going down to the boundary line, at any point during the any number of times we've had 5 goal+ run ons kicked against us. I've been loathe to criticise Teague all year, but he could very well be central to this problem

With the Gibbs commentary, the videos of all the old boys in the middle chatting, the articles, the Sunday arvo time slot..

It honestly felt like, and was treated as an exhibition match between 2 clubs that have a bunch of mates on either side. Bizarre considering we still mathematically had a finals shot.

The chair thing was nice I guess, game is over, no point sulking and what not. But yeah, was weird vibes.

It's just our culture. We have no heart and don't play for the jumper.

We are a participation club.

I don't think the players honestly care enough to sook after the game. Happy to collect a paycheck and punch out for the season.

I don't think the players honestly care enough to sook after the game. Happy to collect a paycheck and punch out for the season.
Patrick Cripps' goal celebration tells you a lot. And he's the captain...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but players in general don't care as much as they used to, that's the reality of it. They are all mates with the other teams, they have lives outside of footy, they request trades to rivals and prioritise themselves, that's just the reality of this generation.

Richmond tell jokes at 3QT and never seem to take life too seriously, they win a lot.

I think the playing for the jumper and sulking after a loss mentality is gone in 2020.

Honestly get a clue.

The guys are spent. They have put in all year and have nothing left in the tank and haven't for a while.

Adelaide had a lot more to play for.

Also, don't forget the guys have been holed up, living out of a suitcase for nearly 3 months. The crows boys have been at home, pretty much doing as per normal. There is no surprise they have come home with a wet sail, while most of the teams have fallen off a cliff. They will be s**t again next year, if/when things return to normalish.

Patrick Cripps' goal celebration tells you a lot. And he's the captain...

I think the highlight for me was at the end of the 2nd quarter (might have been end of the first?) Cripps was sooking for a free kick.

Club is 40 points down? You are worried about 1 free?

That is our captain.

Not to mention Doc putting his hand up when he 100% wasn't fit. Match committee don't have the balls to tell him he can't play and he selfishly put his hand up to play. Selfish might be a harsh call but what else is it?

We have a culture and list that are far more interested in the names of players over the club success. Countless examples of it.

Honestly get a clue.

The guys are spent. They have put in all year and have nothing left in the tank and haven't for a while.

Also, don't forget the guys have been holed up, living out of a suitcase for nearly 3 months. The crows boys have been at home, pretty much doing as per normal. There is no surprise they have come home with a wet sail, while most of the teams have fallen off a cliff. They will be sh*t again next year, if/when things return to normalish.

If they are spent they shouldn't be playing.

List management not to manage players through the short turn arounds was actually a joke.

But if you put your hand up once you cross that white line you turn up to play. Effort isn't optional.

Unless you play for Carlton lol.

Biggest indicator to me as to "what went wrong" was our attitude post-game. We didn't look like a team who had just thrown their finals chances, we looked like a team who never really expected to make finals and felt that we'd done enough this year.

The question is where that attitude came from.

Was it from the players themselves? A young group who are finding their way in a challenging year and are just relieved to not be in the bottom 3 again.

Or was it from higher up? A trickling down from the coaches that, no matter the result, "we're proud of what we've achieved this year", which took the wind out of our sails.

There's a pretty good chance that other results don't go the way we needed them to go, and winning this game and next may not have got us into the 8 anyway. It's still pretty ******* ordinary that we dropped the ball ourselves rather than giving it everything.

Maybe our players are just tired. Cripps absolutely is. Levi is. Betts is. Docherty is (and presumably shouldn't have played given he had a question mark over that calf during the week).

And the reality is - even if we'd busted our gut to get into the 8, with those players well below their best we'd have probably been demolished in week 1 of finals against either WC or Geelong (pending results next week).

Massive props to guys like Walsh, Murph, Ed, Newnes, Gibbons, Simmo, Weiters, Jones and Plowman - who have continued to put in strong efforts week in week out. Some of them would have like to have had more impact, but they never dropped their heads.

Going to be interesting to see how we approach the final round. Brissy have a top 2 spot sewn up, so not much for them to play for. We're out of the race, so not much for us to play for. Both sides have a strong case to rest senior players - either for a finals campaign or to eliminate the risk of injury before pre-season. If we come out and cough up a 5-goal start to an undermanned Brisbane side, I don't think I'll be able to force myself to watch us try and come back.

Unless we PLAY THE KIDS. Cottrell back in, Honey back in, Owies back in, O'Brien to have another run, Kennedy and Polson to play for their futures.

Rest Doc, rest Cripps, rest Murph, rest Ed. If Simmo or Betts are going on next year, rest them - if they're retiring then we should call it ahead of the game and give them a final run. Drop Gov.

Let the next gen take the reins for one dead rubber and challenge them to step up. Shake up the positions a little too.

Plowman, Jones, Polson
Cottrell, Weitering, Williamson
SPS, Setters, O'Brien
TDK, Walsh, Fisher
Cunners, McKay, Newnes
Owies, Casboult, Honey
I/C: Kennedy, Gibbons, Simmo*, Betts*
*only if retiring, otherwise look to Ramsay, Philp or Phillips.

Honestly get a clue.

Also, don't forget the guys have been holed up, living out of a suitcase for nearly 3 months. The crows boys have been at home, pretty much doing as per normal. There is no surprise they have come home with a wet sail, while most of the teams have fallen off a cliff. They will be sh*t again next year, if/when things return to normalish.
We had a finals spot to play for
Adelaide were playing to miss a spoon
Who had more to play for again?
I don't think you should be telling other posters to get a clue mate

Has nothing to do with mentality, it is coaching and structure

Could players be frustrated with aspects of the gameplan? Absolutely

But you can't have mental weakness one weak and then mental strength the following after winning, coming from behind after being 7 goals down

In fact that suggests the side believes that it can beat anyone on a given day

This starts with Teague

Absolutely you can if you are affected by mental fatigue.

The recent part of the fixture has been our worst. We have played:

Sunday - 4 day break - Thursday - 5 day break - Tuesday - 5 day break - Sunday. The crows on the other hand have played:

Bye - total of 9 days break - Tuesday - 7 day break - Tuesday - 5 day break - Sunday.

Whilst both teams were coming off a 5 day break, the lead up to that was very different. It just added up to us being as flat as a s**t-carter's hat mentally.

We saw the signs last week of mental fatigue in the first half. Luckily our physical fitness got us out of jail. Again yesterday, our physical fitness saw us run out the game better and win the second half by nearly 5 goals.

Jimmae (how do I tag him?) wrote a post at half time in the Swans game about CNS fatigue which I think he must have deleted later as I can't find it. It's no surprise that guys like Gibbons and Cuners looked sharper than most others, having not played all the games.

But you must admit the umpires failed to protect him. He got held more times than the Vic Market covid protesters by the police. Lost count how many times they threw the ball also.
Then, hurt them. Sling them into the deck when they're holding. Force the umpires to pay attention.

"You're not protecting me, so if you don't I will."

People would be surprised how effective a little calculated overreaction done at the right moment can shift how things are viewed. Taggers live off knowing when the umpires are looking, and both how and when to skirt the rules every single game; it's how a player of average at best talent can compete with the titans of the sport. How you get them is one of two ways; you straight up beat them, either by breaking the tag or by moving them around to a role they cannot go with you in, or you make it known to them that you know how this game is played just as well as they do.

Cripps needs to use his strength against the players who are doing this to him. He needs to genuinely demonstrate to them that he's willing to plant them in the dirt so hard their head's still spinning next week. He needs to let them know that there are limits to what he'll accept from a tagger, and the second they step outside those points is the second he's going to hurt them.

Simmo is playing splendidly. I do not agree about Simmo
Sorry, that was an earlier post I didn't finish.... I was going to say, that there has been too many times with year where the siren has sounded on a loss and Simmo has had a smile on his face.
We need to become ruthless and stop accepting mediocrity!

Then, hurt them. Sling them into the deck when they're holding. Force the umpires to pay attention.

"You're not protecting me, so if you don't I will."

People would be surprised how effective a little calculated overreaction done at the right moment can shift how things are viewed. Taggers live off knowing when the umpires are looking, and both how and when to skirt the rules every single game; it's how a player of average at best talent can compete with the titans of the sport. How you get them is one of two ways; you straight up beat them, either by breaking the tag or by moving them around to a role they cannot go with you in, or you make it known to them that you know how this game is played just as well as they do.

Cripps needs to use his strength against the players who are doing this to him. He needs to genuinely demonstrate to them that he's willing to plant them in the dirt so hard their head's still spinning next week. He needs to let them know that there are limits to what he'll accept from a tagger, and the second they step outside those points is the second he's going to hurt them.

We just don't do this at all at Carlton. We are way too soft.
How many players has Levi put a knee into in a marking contest this year?
We don't hurt with tackles.
We need to find some ruthlessness.

This is an example of the problem with our current club.
Cripps kicks a great individual goal and there is still a sniff of an opportunity to pinch the game. At this moment, I expect the captain to run back to the center, with little fun fare and make a statement to his teammates that the job is not done yet. Let's get on with it!!!!
instead, he celebrates with the crowd like he kicked the winning goal and trots around winking and carrying on like a rooster in a hen house. I'm not sure were his head space or body is at, but what I do know, is that he is not showing the leadership qualities I expect or would like from a captain building a winning culture.
We need to get more professional and he needs to get his head back on the job of leading 'the team'.
Just disappointing.

Back