Who's closer to their next premiership: Carlton or Freo?

Is Carlton or Freo closer to their next flag?

• Carlton

Votes: 102 33.7%
  • Freo

Votes: 169 55.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 32 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t disagree, development of the youngsters will be key. Something Carlton hasn’t been great at recently.
Think Carlton have more quality in the talls both back & forward though.
How Charlie comes back will have a massive bearing on Carlton’s structure and overall potential for improvement.
Think he is the key.

We could do a similar comparison for the talls as was done for the mids. I think you'd be surprised and disappointed in equal measure.

Let's take the backs - we've got the best defensive record of all of the teams outside the eight, and that's despite missing our top three talls down there.

Of course I bring my bias to this, but I'd take A Pearce, Hamling, Logue and Ryan over Weitering, Doc and Jones any day of the week. Brennan Cox has had a great second half to the season, but most likely doesn't make our 22 if others are fit.

I think you might take the biscuits up front, we've got Tabs who has just been named in the AA squad but we just done know if this is a one season flash in the pan, Hogan who has kicked 40+ in multiple seasons but looks lost at the moment and Lobb who...well I don't really know what to say other than the difference in quality between his marking and his goal kicking is vast...reminds me of Casboult. I think both sets of fans are keeping everything crossed for next season. Freo that Hogan gets his mojo back and the Blues that McKay can take the next step (he does look quality).

I like Carlton's list. Probably still a good inside mid or two short, but they have most of the pieces in place. The spine is good, and still young.

I'd be surprised if they arent in the bottom half of the 8 next year.
Inside mids not really our issue. Overkill when coaching group throw a set up like Cripps, Kennedy, Ed Curnow and Setterfield so often together in there and rarely have a nimble footed outside mid to spread quickly from the inside grunt work of these types. They need to develop from within with younger mids drafted but for some reason did not chose to develop the breakaway pace type mids we need to develop more during this season. Mind boggling for most part as I watched on in 2020.

We could do a similar comparison for the talls as was done for the mids. I think you'd be surprised and disappointed in equal measure.

Let's take the backs - we've got the best defensive record of all of the teams outside the eight, and that's despite missing our top three talls down there.

Of course I bring my bias to this, but I'd take A Pearce, Hamling, Logue and Ryan over Weitering, Doc and Jones any day of the week. Brennan Cox has had a great second half to the season, but most likely doesn't make our 22 if others are fit.

I think you might take the biscuits up front, we've got Tabs who has just been named in the AA squad but we just done know if this is a one season flash in the pan, Hogan who has kicked 40+ in multiple seasons but looks lost at the moment and Lobb who...well I don't really know what to say other than the difference in quality between his marking and his goal kicking is vast...reminds me of Casboult. I think both sets of fans are keeping everything crossed for next season. Freo that Hogan gets his mojo back and the Blues that McKay can take the next step (he does look quality).
Yep, rate Freos backs and don't disagree with your assessment of them.
We lack another quality tall in defence, the ever injured Marchbank is rated internally and has just signed another contract extension. Here's hoping.
I'm also hoping they play McGovern back next year and give him a run as that marking intercept defender akin to his brother. He hasn't cut it as a forward but neither had Jones when he went back. With Charlie hopefully coming back and those two "wishes" it would see us well placed for talls defensively / offensively I believe.

Freo has a much better midfield.
But our kpps are sorted back and front.
Freos backs are really solid the front half is not as star packed. Tabs this year was really good. If jesse hogan recaptures his form then freo have us covered easily. Will depend on what we can add this year to our list.
Not much in it. I guess freo are expecting to play finals next year and if we don’t we have failed in the rebuild.

Freos backs are really solid the front half is not as star packed. Tabs this year was really good. If jesse hogan recaptures his form then freo have us covered easily. Will depend on what we can add this year to our list.
Not much in it. I guess freo are expecting to play finals next year and if we don’t we have failed in the rebuild.

I think the Blues, Dockers, Giants and Demons fans will all go into next season hoping/expecting finals. Some will be disappointed because it's hard to see who drops out of the eight. Maybe the Pies due to no forward line, but they have a lot of quality down back and through the middle. With the Suns continuing to rise, I think next season will be hugely competitive from 5th down to 12th/13th. Like this season, it could come down to who can keep most of their Best 22 on the pitch.

I think the Blues, Dockers, Giants and Demons fans will all go into next season hoping/expecting finals. Some will be disappointed because it's hard to see who drops out of the eight. Maybe the Pies due to no forward line, but they have a lot of quality down back and through the middle. With the Suns continuing to rise, I think next season will be hugely competitive from 5th down to 12th/13th. Like this season, it could come down to who can keep most of their Best 22 on the pitch.
Yup looking like a very evenly matched comp next year and except for the bottom 4
Crows north sydney hawks

I'd replace Sydney with the Bombers - they are heading down the same path as North - whilst Sydney are improving
As bad as they have been this year I don’t think they are that bad. Sure as a carlton supporter i would love to lay my boots in but i think they will be competitive next year as long as they don’t lose merett or hurley.
if they sort out the front end stuff they have the talent to stay competitive and do a rebuild around the talent they have port style.

Two or three quality players can make a huge difference.2016 we were crap but 3 years later finished second to everyone's surprise.
No reason Freo or especially Carlton can't do the same and although we didn't convert last year, once you are up there you are in th egame.

Depends on how you see it....

I look at freos best 22 and theres a good 7-9 plauers aged 27-30. This includes guys like Fyfe, Walters, Hamling, Lob, Matera, Conca and Stephen Hill. So freo needs a good 3-4 year of finals before we go down and rebuild again.

Freos forward line isnt great, but there is versatility and flexibility on that forward line. This isnt mentioning Hogan.

Lobb can play FF or 2nd ruck.

Brennan Cox is a Rotating CHF or CHB. Can play as a 3rd tall on a forward flank.

Matt Taberner had a Solid Season. Kicked 26 goals and 12 Behinds. Can Play as a FF and Be double teamed and free up another forward. Can play as a CHF as a floating 2nd tall. Can Play as a 3rd tall on a forward flank getting his 15-20 disposals a game and link up with other forwards. Taberner to me had that John butcher type feel about him in His early years: a 197 cm 90kg tall forward that had potiential. Very good at Marking but is horrible at set shots. He has slowly improved on his set shots in recent years.

Walters is spending 50% of the game on the wing and the other 50% on a foward flank. had a disappointing season this season. Last season was Brilliant. Kicked 40 goals and 17 behinds from 22 game and rightfully got the AA selection. I can see him Kick 30 goals from 22 games or 25 goals from 17 games next season.

Crowden and Schulz are depth players and both rotate off the bench, on a forward flank and forward pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History in the salary cap era would suggest that pretty much every team is closer to the next premiership than Carlton. We have been a rabble for approaching 25 years now.

Depends on how you see it....

I look at freos best 22 and theres a good 7-9 plauers aged 27-30. This includes guys like Fyfe, Walters, Hamling, Lob, Matera, Conca and Stephen Hill. So freo needs a good 3-4 year of finals before we go down and rebuild again.

Freos forward line isnt great, but there is versatility and flexibility on that forward line. This isnt mentioning Hogan.

Lobb can play FF or 2nd ruck.

Brennan Cox is a Rotating CHF or CHB. Can play as a 3rd tall on a forward flank.

Matt Taberner had a Solid Season. Kicked 26 goals and 12 Behinds. Can Play as a FF and Be double teamed and free up another forward. Can play as a CHF as a floating 2nd tall. Can Play as a 3rd tall on a forward flank getting his 15-20 disposals a game and link up with other forwards. Taberner to me had that John butcher type feel about him in His early years: a 197 cm 90kg tall forward that had potiential. Very good at Marking but is horrible at set shots. He has slowly improved on his set shots in recent years.

Walters is spending 50% of the game on the wing and the other 50% on a foward flank. had a disappointing season this season. Last season was Brilliant. Kicked 40 goals and 17 behinds from 22 game and rightfully got the AA selection. I can see him Kick 30 goals from 22 games or 25 goals from 17 games next season.

Crowden and Schulz are depth players and both rotate off the bench, on a forward flank and forward pocket.
No I was saying if we don’t play finals it’s a fail. Freo are right on track. Your fw line needs work. Lobb isn’t the best kick. Tabs been good but is injury prone. Conca hill and matera are fringe players at best so plenty of work to be done. The core you have is very good. I rate cox in your backline he looks to be a very smart footballer. Even if logue doesn’t make it you are covered.

Fremantle.

Best team outside the 8 towards the end of this season.

(Just get that tnuc Lobb out the team).

No I was saying if we don’t play finals it’s a fail. Freo are right on track. Your fw line needs work. Lobb isn’t the best kick. Tabs been good but is injury prone. Conca hill and matera are fringe players at best so plenty of work to be done. The core you have is very good. I rate cox in your backline he looks to be a very smart footballer. Even if logue doesn’t make it you are covered.
Very harsh to say if Carlton dont make finals is a failure.

Carlton, Like Freo have been competitive. Both have posted 7-10 records and both have had their fair share of close games. I dont think neither side has been belted by 60 points this year. (Come to think of it..... those 15-16 minute quarters have played a part on why not too many sides have not been belted often like last season.)

Those 5th to 8th spots in finals will be heavily contested next season.

Brennan Cox Played most of the games in the back line due to Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling and Griffen Logue out injured. Hence we had to use Cox and Duman.

Freo's problem has always been keeping a team on the park. If they can address that problem along with their KPF issues then they will start to challenge.

Freo's KPF issues for most part are our injury issues.

Hogan played a grand total of 5 games this year, and only the front half of last year. We're a much better team with him in it, which means we need to see the backend of his issues with his mental health and his navicular.

This is the first time since 2016 we got more than 9 games out of Taberner in a season, and he's got on AA Squad and was the 5th highest goalscorer for the year.

Getting Tabs and Hogan on the park together consistently would actually let them build the connection we need to get the best out of both of them (Lobb as well given we want a three tall structure up forward.)

Very harsh to say if Carlton dont make finals is a failure.

Carlton, Like Freo have been competitive. Both have posted 7-10 records and both have had their fair share of close games. I dont think neither side has been belted by 60 points this year. (Come to think of it..... those 15-16 minute quarters have played a part on why not too many sides have not been belted often like last season.)

Those 5th to 8th spots in finals will be heavily contested next season.

Brennan Cox Played most of the games in the back line due to Alex Pearce, Joel Hamling and Griffen Logue out injured. Hence we had to use Cox and Duman.
Carlton has been s**t since 2012 we made the semis in 2011 but that was as good as that list was going to be. malthouse actually expedited our rebuild by destroying our fw line. Sos starting building the list at the end of 2015 while he has been a good trader in getting us good value his recruiting has been average barring the 2015 where he netted us mckay weitering curnow and cunningham.
It’s year 6 of the total rebuild next year anything less than finals is a total fail. Not one carlton supporter will tell you any different.

Be interested to see what the books make of both teams in the early premiership markets , I’d say the Blues would be a couple of points better or maybe more if they get 2-3 B22 players in the trade/draft period where all indications are Freo are going to be quiet as far as big plays go but who knows could be a bit of a smokescreen

Past disappointments won’t have much relevance to what happens in the future though as much as people like to run with them for a laugh

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

A full healthy list with Hogan mentally awake, I'd put Freo ahead. I like what Serong, Brayshaw and Fyfe offer compared to Carlton. We'd all like Cripps as our own, and Walsh should become a star, but Freo midfield overall better atm.
Two to three key injuries, Carlton looks better able to cover.

A lot will depend on trades and drafts this off season. But as it stands, I hate to say this, but I'd rather have Freos list than Carltons right now.

If your a blues supporter you s pray it’s your team as next year is last chance for carlton to convince Cripps the rest of his career is best served in Victoria.

Otherwise he ll be jumping ship and joining Fremantle as free agent and carlton will be back to be included in that other group of hawks, Adelaide, north and Essendon in whos closer to a flag

Well when you analyse Fremantle's depth in the forward line

Key Forwards: Taberner, Lobb, Dixon
General Forwards: Hogan, Walters, Schultz, Crowden, Frederick, Sturt, Matera, Switkowski

We're lacking depth at the key forward position still, Taberner is the only true key forward on the list, Lobb plays ruck too, Dixon and Cox can play it but Cox is a better defender and Dixon is being used down back too.

Back