Who's closer to their next premiership: Carlton or Freo?

Is Carlton or Freo closer to their next flag?

• Carlton

Votes: 102 33.7%
  • Freo

Votes: 169 55.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 32 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cartlon have better young KPPs, Fremantle have better young mids. The latter is probably easier to find than the former so I don't mind Carlton's position on that basis. But I'm not convinced the Blues will find them.

Cartlon have better young KPPs, Fremantle have better young mids. The latter is probably easier to find than the former so I don't mind Carlton's position on that basis. But I'm not convinced the Blues will find them.

KPPs or forwards? Because Pearce, Logue, Ryan, Cox and Young are far better defenders than Carltons group. They obviously have us beaten for young forwards......easily

With Freo’s squad I feel a semi is best case scenario.

The capitulation I saw during round 12 against a bunch of kids living out of motels all but confirmed it for me. Despite their real competition for spots and competitive energy they lack the mental toughness required.

Fremantle are mentally weak but Carlton are mentally strong?

Now I understand why teachers say “show me your work”

Sir, show me work. I wanna see how you got this stupid.

KPPs or forwards? Because Pearce, Logue, Ryan, Cox and Young are far better defenders than Carltons group. They obviously have us beaten for young forwards......easily

Pearce is perenially injured (and 25), Louge in a simillar boat, Young isn't a KPP. Ryan isn't really either though he's had to play that role (and is very good at it). Cox is solid. I'd take Weitering ahead of any of them. It's a good group if everone comes good form and fitness wise, possibly a big if. As an overall package I'd definitely take Carlton's KPPs over yours.

Other than the undersized Ryan who isnt really "young" the rest are nothing special. You only need 2 anyway.

Your young mid depth is definitely looking better atm but depends if you like quantity or quality.

Walsh would be your best mid other than Fyfe by the length.

Next year or after that ?
are you saying the core we have won’t make it to the promiseland, regardless of how many pieces we add in the coming years ?
Well of course it may change if you add some more players, but with the players you may add this year I still only have you guys finish around the lower half of the top 8, that could all change of course.

Pearce is perenially injured (and 25), Louge in a simillar boat, Young isn't a KPP. Ryan isn't really either though he's had to play that role (and is very good at it). Cox is solid. I'd take Weitering ahead of any of them. It's a good group if everone comes good form and fitness wise, possibly a big if. As an overall package I'd definitely take Carlton's KPPs over yours.
You clearly don't watch much freo nor value intercept marking and kicking. Besides Weitering, who else do Carlton have?

Also, 25 is old?

Other than the undersized Ryan who isnt really "young" the rest are nothing special. You only need 2 anyway.

Your young mid depth is definitely looking better atm but depends if you like quantity or quality.

Walsh would be your best mid other than Fyfe by the length.
What's young? Last time I checked, Logue, Cox and Ryan have plenty of football left in them, a good 5-7 years.

Pearce is literally proven to be one of the best defenders in the comp.

Hayden Young showed plenty in his 5 games pre injury and you can see he's got elite attributes.

Fact you said "undersized" Ryan proves you're out of your depth here, you don't know what you're talking about.

Walsh is a damn good player, but is he better than Serong and Cerra by a long way? Nope, not at all.

What's young? Last time I checked, Logue, Cox and Ryan have plenty of football left in them, a good 5-7 years.

Pearce is literally proven to be one of the best defenders in the comp.

Hayden Young showed plenty in his 5 games pre injury and you can see he's got elite attributes.

Fact you said "undersized" Ryan proves you're out of your depth here, you don't know what you're talking about.

Walsh is a damn good player, but is he better than Serong and Cerra by a long way? Nope, not at all.
What are you on about?

Ryan is small for a KPD. How is he not undersized?

You can dispute how much better Walsh is than your young mids, but theres no question that he IS better. The question is by how much.

Because he's not a KPD?

You can dispute how much better Walsh is than your young mids, but theres no question that he IS better. The question is by how much.

Probably not significant enough to make up the gap between Freo's other young mids and your other young mids.

Given a bunch of Carlton fans have been talking about packages for defenders how about the package of mids? Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong and the like vs Cripps, Curnow, Murphy, Walsh, Dow, Stocker and the like?

Because he's not a KPD?

Probably not significant enough to make up the gap between Freo's other young mids and your other young mids.

Given a bunch of Carlton fans have been talking about packages for defenders how about the package of mids? Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong and the like vs Cripps, Curnow, Murphy, Walsh, Dow, Stocker and the like?
Your fellow Freo guy was the one who mentioned Ryan as proof Freo have better KPDs...

Your lot are all over the shop. Stick to the same page or you'll never win one, let alone 16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your fellow Freo guy was the one who mentioned Ryan as proof Freo have better KPDs...

He said better defenders. Not sure when defenses became 6 KPDs rather than a mix of KPDs, intercept defenders, rebounding defenders, and defenders to lockdown other players.

And for what it's worth Ryan as a intercepting and rebounding defender is one of the best in the game right now. Hence the All Australian.

He said better defenders. Not sure when defenses became 6 KPDs rather than a mix of KPDs, intercept defenders, rebounding defenders, and defenders to lockdown other players.

And for what it's worth Ryan as a intercepting and rebounding defender is one of the best in the game right now. Hence the All Australian.
Again Purple_Turtle , please read. Not that hard.

The discussion was who has better young KPPs and who has better young mids.

Happy to concede mids but just noting Walsh is still no.1 of any of the team.

Our KPPs are much better, both forwards and defenders.

This is no shame, the game is won from the midfield anyway.

Again Purple_Turtle , please read. Not that hard.

The discussion was who has better young KPPs and who has better young mids.

Happy to concede mids but just noting Walsh is still no.1 of any of the team.

Our KPPs are much better, both forwards and defenders.

This is no shame, the game is won from the midfield anyway.

When someone says defenders and references two players that clearly are not KPDs (Ryan and Young) than the discussion has clearly moved on from KPDs. If you just want to argue KPDs than your focus is off. Good defenses also need to lock down damaging forwards like Cameron and Papley, and have players who can dispose of the ball well to break presses and go back into attack.

And beyond that do you really need to be so vitriolic? Don't think the constant jabs about other peoples reading comprehension is winning you many fans, particularly when you've missed how the conversation has been changing.

What are you on about?

Just think of Serong as a player who will prove to be a "Jordan", whilst Walsh will be his "Pippen".

No i think that’s a fair assessment. Injuries to cripps and weitering and we are done
yeah losing Cripps and Weitering that's your best mid and tall defender out would hurt the blues.
Next year or after that ?
are you saying the core we have won’t make it to the promiseland, regardless of how many pieces we add in the coming years ?
well we don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. Sure as hell I don't know what will Carlton do in the trade period and draft.

They might get a free agent or 2. Hell, they could use their 1st rounder to get one of the best young minds in this year's draft.

Just think of Serong as a player who will prove to be a "Jordan", whilst Walsh will be his "Pippen".
Underselling walsh a bit but to be fair serong looks the goods but to be a jordan you need to be a buddy/Judd/GAJ maybe even petracca a serious point of difference can’t see it in serong probably in the level of pendles/hayes

Underselling walsh a bit but to be fair serong looks the goods but to be a jordan you need to be a buddy/Judd/GAJ maybe even petracca a serious point of difference can’t see it in serong probably in the level of pendles/hayes

Ummmm...Fyfe?!

What are you on about?

Oh boy, apparnetly I have to explain this.

Ryan isn't a KPD. Filling a role because of injuries doesn't permanent change your position.

Does Walsh impact games like Cerra and Serong? Not sure, though Walsh is more consistent at the moment.

Will Walsh be better than them in the future? Honestly not sure, but I'm confident in saying Cerra and Serong will hurt teams more than Walsh

Back