List Mgmt. The 2020 Trade and Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Having a bit of a stab at how I'd go about improving our list with trade and draft, without speculating on specific players for trade and trying to be realistic about possible trade values.

I'm probably more optimistic than most about our list, tempered by the fact Goody is still going to be coaching them. So my view is the three main goals from the trade period is to delist/trade 8-10 list cloggers, add a good young outside mid either through draft or trade, and add 2 forwards who can be starting 18 and add more than Melksham/Vanders.

Our picks atm (I think, detailed research not my strongest area. Also not adjusted for academy picks etc) - 23, 47, 62, 63

Players that should definitely go out the door and a range of what we could get if we were to get picks instead of players:
Preuss - 2nd/early 3rd rounder
Oscar - Possibly 3rd rounder if there's a hopelessly optimistic list manager who needs a key defender. Maybe 4th round more likely.
ANB - Token pick I'd say. 4th rounder at best.

I'd try and ship Melksham for a third rounder and would be happy for T-Mac to go for either a second rounder or a forward/young outside mid who will definitely be best 22. Those deals may not happen though since neither have great trade value after their latest seasons. Assuming they don't, that leaves us with pick 23 and probably 4 picks between about 40-70.

At pick 23 (likely to be early 30s in reality) - go to the draft and get the best outside mid with good skills available. At some point you have to back yourself to draft these guys, it's very rare for them to be available for trade at a realistic price.

I've warmed to the idea of Isaac Smith for a year or two, partly because the prospect of getting Polec instead is simply awful. Doubt Hawks will demand too much from us, maybe our 47 either straight or for a downgrade.

Would like the pick we get for Preuss to be turned into a Higgins, or a similarly semi-proven small or medium forward. Depending how good the pick for Preuss is we may even get something back from that, doubt the Tigers drive too hard a bargain on Higgins.

Jack Gunston would be great for our forward line. Would happily give up something of value for him. Haven't heard for a few weeks what the likelihood of him being prised out of Hawthorn is. Would they want T-Mac and a pick?

That leaves a couple of picks in the 60s or early 70s. I'd be keen for us to speculate a bit on a tall forward prospect, perhaps a proven forward from VFL/WAFL/SANFL (any suggestions from those in the know on these things?). Or else a young kid who falls down the order, there's usually one of those. It's a bit of a free swing at this range in the draft. Use the other pick/s in this range on more young outside mid prospects with good skills. Every chance 2 or 3 out of those 3 picks never amount to anything but I think with our list profile going to the draft offers a better prospect of long term improvement than getting fringe player B. Potato from North for pick 75.

I've warmed to the idea of Isaac Smith for a year or two, partly because the prospect of getting Polec instead is simply awful. Doubt Hawks will demand too much from us, maybe our 47 either straight or for a downgrade.
Smith is an unrestricted free agent, won’t have to trade anything for him.

Trading Nev would be heart breaking and i can't see it happening. But with my coaches hat on if we get something good for him it's a good list management move and for the player the new challenge and enviroment might revitilise him after a down year, He'd still be a melbourne person, but it might actually be good for both parties

Trading Nev would be heart breaking and i can't see it happening. But with my coaches hat on if we get something good for him it's a good list management move and for the player the new challenge and enviroment might revitilise him after a down year, He'd still be a melbourne person, but it might actually be good for both parties
Sounds like he wants to stay but at the end of the day if he feels he has a few more years to offer, and Collingwood have that on the table at the end of the day it's his life and he would have to look at it.

Agree but :( all the same...it's kind of like of own version of Clarko trading Lewis and Mitchell etc.

Yay, Phillips! Top 4 team right here! Get excited!

Would be one of the better/smarter trades we've actually made.

Am I the only one who is getting a sneaking suspicion that we're going after a bigger fish than whats been mentioned? A lot of players going out for 2nd/3rd rounders, turning those picks into early picks. 1st rounder plus future first + player could land an A grader. It's probably just a pipe dream but there's the capacity for it. I think weird lol

Splashing for the sake of splashing is reserved for dumb dick clubs, so expect us to splash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd miss Hannan if we traded him. His best years for us were 2017 and 2018. I like him more than Pickett and blame all of his deficiencies and poor games on Goodwin.

Looks like he'd be an absolute demon in the sack too (no pun intended).
Dunno about that. He’s a bit of a show pony - called Cassowary for his attention to his appearance - and the first thing he does after a goal is try and pretend he’s not obsessively watching the replay.

Good footballer though, I’m just not 100% on board with your sexual prowess estimation.

I wouldn't hold it against Nev to take a 2 year deal elsewhere, but I would be disappointed to see him go nonetheless. Has been a wonderful footballer, first, and person, second, for our footy Club.
This. I will feel bad to see him in a different jumper but if he decides he has an opportunity elsewhere that is best for him, I will continue to love him dearly.

Tom, not Ed

Degenerative knee issue - my post was in relation to someone saying maybe Tom Langdon for Jetta trade.

No it wasnt, your post was in relation to schmutt saying Phillips would be a good pick up like Ed Langdon has been for us.

Your jedi mind tricks may get you out of your bad posts on the Collingwood board, but not here.

No it wasnt, your post was in relation to schmutt saying Phillips would be a good pick up like Ed Langdon has been for us.

Your jedi mind tricks may get you out of your bad posts on the Collingwood board, but not here.
I think they did a jedi mind trick on themselves. Langdon I understand but there was no mention of Jetta in that original post.

Sounds like he wants to stay but at the end of the day if he feels he has a few more years to offer, and Collingwood have that on the table at the end of the day it's his life and he would have to look at it.
His body is cooked. A smarter defensive footy brain in being effective far beyond his height one won't find, but as he's short and lost his pace he can't defend faster small forwards.

There is a reason he got a religious moniker we got warned off. But in our list we have a younger player who can hopefully one day build to that standard.

I love the guy and he deserves every honour we have, but all that's left is the romance. I would trade him for nothing if it meant he got a good contract elsewhere. The man deserves it, and deserves a massive guard of honour to return to the club on his playing retirement.

I’ve just caught up on last 5-6 pages. The notion of some opposition particularly some Carlton supporters that trading Oliver for 2 first rounders and cap space in somehow beneficial to Melbourne is ridiculous. I mean we have one of the best mids in the comp and we trade for two 18 year olds that could be duds. And we aren’t screaming out for cap space either. Also Mahoney and Goodwin are fighting for their jobs. Hardly going to let Oliver walk. You’d have to guarantee we got an elite player back in. But I’d be keeping Oliver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back