List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

If Geelong wins the Grand Final next Saturday, would they be less likely to trade out young players in search of instant experience? Or, would they stick to the plan in the hope of going back to back to back...
I don't reckon it matters what happens, they'll load up either way. Can't really blame them either as a lot of these blokes could drop off a cliff any time now.

If Geelong wins the Grand Final next Saturday, would they be less likely to trade out young players in search of instant experience? Or, would they stick to the plan in the hope of going back to back to back...
Cats list management is to be always go for a flag.

They will load up again next year as well.

Higgins will most likely go their for pick 33.

Cameron will most go there as a free agent.

They might trade out some borderline players.

Not really. We traded 6 to port and then they trade it to Brisbane who trade it back to us. We never had 5.
Yes really, there is no other way Lachie gets to Brisbane otherwise.*

If we just held 6 and never traded it, then Brisbane could never do the trade that saw them swap 5 for 6 and would have been forced just to give us 5 instead of 6.

* Don't remember who held what but they may have been able to swap for pick 7 or 8 etc in theory.

We would have if we traded Lachie but didn't trade for Lobb or Hogan.
Come on you know there is no way we would have traded Neale for only 1 first round pick if the opportunity to get Hogan hadn't existed. In isolation we would have either rejected it outright and forced him to seek a trade the following season, or held out for more. This was RTB's preference wasn't it? (Although as has been said in public now they all owned the deal).

Last edited:
Surely we are going to pick up shannon neale right? Cant let another south freo boy end up on the east coast
Surely you go for the Claremont boy first. Kalin Lane? Actually, that should just be a blanket rule - when in doubt go Tigers. haha

I seem to remember reading somewhere there's an Academy kid eligible 2021 who's a ruck as well. Can't remember his name.

Jordan Clark would be no. 1 target for mine. I reckon a lot of the other posturing relates to managers sounding out clubs to negotiate a good deal. I don’t doubt Freo are having a crack at Mihocek and the process is putting a serious squeeze on the Magpies cap, but in all likelihood he will re-sign. North Melbourne are likely doing the same with Schultz (even though any salary cap matters for Freo are heavily overstated as is Crumpets way).

We won’t have many list spots. As it is we will likely need to move at least one contracted player to the rookie list. Bewley who I think was ok and deserves a 1 year contract likely to be squeezed out or Potentially end up on the rookie list.

With Jordan Clark the offer I would put out there would be our first pick but with something good back.

My offer would be our first pick (currently 10 before compo) for Geelong’s true first round pick (16 or 18 before compo) in addition to future 2nd.

It’s looking more likely that Daniher will either be end of first round (reported contract around $600-$650 for 5 years). It’s also looking increasingly likely that Crouch will also be end of first round. Both having games incentive contracts, which isn’t considered as part of the AFL compo formula. Therefore Cameron and Williams the most likely top 10 compo picks. There is a decent chance the clubs for each of Daniher, Crouch and Cameron will match and force a trade. Our first pick will end up 11-13 (so I’ll go with 12). Let’s also assume Geelong get beaten by Brisbane (their true first pick will then be 18.

Trade 18, Clark, possibly a late 2020 fourth> 12, future 2nd.

Geelong have enough 2020 picks. Leave as that and see what comes as the trade period gets to a conclusion. Forget all these depth spuds.

After the trade period we can look at our remaining out of contract players like Bewley and Banfield. Perhaps Narkle as a DFA could then be added as we see more value from him than the aforementioned.

So in short a pretty quiet trade period despite all these names thrown around as needing to trade in.

I agree if we could get Clarke (for a first pick swap and maybe Blakely) and Narkle as a DFA, that’s all we need (apart from maybe a decent young ruckman) to go all the way and happy to let Bewley/Banfield go.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok.

Lions had pick 5.

We don’t trade 6 with Port and Lions sends pick 5 plus chance to us for Neale.
Yes really, there is no other way Lachie gets to Brisbane otherwise.*

If we just held 6 and never traded it, then Brisbane could never do the trade that saw them swap 5 for 6 and would have been forced just to give us 5 instead of 6.

* Don't remember who held what but they may have been able to swap for pick 7 or 8 etc in theory.

I'm being a bit pedantic, but there's lots of ripples if you remove a trade. If we don't trade 6 to port then they will still want to draft Rozee. If we're keeping pick 6 Ports best chance of getting Rozee is to get Brisbane's pick 5. They paid picks 11, 23, 30, 35, 49 and Mayes. If they're that keen on him they could easily offer Brisbane 11 and a future first, who then pass that on to us. That's just one hypothetical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain to me why Jordan Clark is a good target for us? I'm not doubting anyone, I just want to know what field position he would play at Freo and what kind of size he is, what he brings that deserves our #10 pick etc. I have only seen glimpses of him, and what I saw wasn't very noteworthy. Cheers.

I would play him on a wing (in front of Bewley) great over his head, very quick and good long kick with Blake Acres (who’s obviously got his famils running genes) on the other wing. For those that do t know Blake Acres uncle Barry Acres was a national champion 800m runner who stills holds the WA 800m record nearly 40 years later.

If we forget about the Neale & Port trades, we still had #6, #11, #19, #23 before the Lobb and Hogan trades.

Right now, it doesn't feel like we got a lot out of those picks.

What’s intriguing with Clark is his thoughts in regards to his team making the GF & the ultimately what he thinks if they win it.

It’s been reported that he’s frustrated at not getting a game & if they win it you do wonder what sort of thought process he has in regards to hanging around. Do those blokes who are part of a premiership team have the same hunger to do it again? Particularly with an ageing group & a few retirements.

If he’s pissed off with the current situation, then that could be enough to tip him over the edge & request a move to a club where he is in the same boat as the rest of the squad.

I think he probably stays, with Geelong convincing him that Abletts going next year (along with others shortly) & there’s a spot there for him from next year on, but a Cats win might just be what we need to get him.

If we forget about the Neale & Port trades, we still had #6, #11, #19, #23 before the Lobb and Hogan trades.

Right now, it doesn't feel like we got a lot out of those picks.
Not sure I follow you. We went into that trade period with just pick 6. We traded our 2nd round pick the year before for Wilson, our 3rd for Matera, and our 4th as part of the Crozier deal.

We got picks 11 and 23 when we traded pick 6 to port, and we got pick 19 as part of the Neale trade.

Edit: Think I get it now. With picks 6, 11, 19, and 23 I think all we got for it was Hogan, Lobb, Sturt, and Valente. Agreed it isn't a good return for those picks

If I am correct we did indeed just before the Jesse Hogan deal have Picks 6,11,19,23,49,55

Take that as you will but there was no way the club would have let Neale leave and not bring any players in for membership and revenue reasons. Particular two key position players we have been dying for, for years. In hindsight hitting the draft may have (would have) worked better but I’m pretty contempt with how it has panned out anyway.

It’s a lesson that we need to just stick to the draft and buy players who have high upside for low value in the future.

That’s my two cents

The fact it was a "mega-trade" brokered by the player agents makes me feel we were almost pushed into it, us backing out would have stuffed up like a half dozen other trades and we know how persuasive those pesky agents can be.

The fact it was a "mega-trade" brokered by the player agents makes me feel we were almost pushed into it, us backing out would have stuffed up like a half dozen other trades and we know how persuasive those pesky agents can be.
Nah mate, no chance we did the trades to please other clubs. At the time, we were all happy and jumping for joy. Now......incredibly dissapointing.

Just to add on the hypotheticals.

We had no footy manager and Steve Rosich/ Bell stepped in.

I’m comfortable at this point it wasn’t a distaster as all our picks are still on the list with 5/6 playing regular best 22.

King is the only one of the picks That have shown enough to warrant it not being a good trade.

2018 Dockers players:
Hogan
Lobb
Sturt
Valente
Bewley
Shultz

Those “potential” 2018 picks were:

6 - king
11 - Caldwell
19 - Stocker
23 - Mcklennen
49 - Scott (F/Son) [50 Kennerly ]
55 - Answorth

Just to add on the hypotheticals.

We had no footy manager and Steve Rosich/ Bell stepped in.

I’m comfortable at this point it wasn’t a distaster as all our picks are still on the list with 5/6 playing regular best 22.

King is the only one of the picks That have shown enough to warrant it not being a good trade.

2018 Dockers players:
Hogan
Lobb
Sturt
Valente
Bewley
Shultz

Those “potential” 2018 picks were:

6 - king
11 - Caldwell
19 - Stocker
23 - Mcklennen
49 - Scott (F/Son) [50 Kennerly ]
55 - Answorth
Some good players around those picks even if we didn't pick those exact players too

Butters would be available at 11, Bobby Hill or Valente at 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back