Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong for me, people forget how dominant they were.

They had 10 AAs in 2007, they cost themselves in 2008 by having a near perfect H&A but one bad GF day. The distractions of Ablett and Bomber probably cost them again in 2010.

Current Richmond and early noughties Brisbane looked beatable to me, just depends if they fired on the day which they did. Whereas Geelong always had an air invincibility, the 2007/08 side were the greatest team I thought.

Hawthorn I never rated because I never enjoyed watching them play, they were clinical and boring and had the rub of the green during their three-peat.

Although I don't theres any match for Dusty as a finals performer amongst the other Geelong/Brisbane/Hawthorn sides.

Brisbane - Inflated salary cap

+

• The league engineering the unprecedented 10-year deal that tore Alastair Lynch away from Fitzroy.

• Queensland/NT Zone: Buckley, Voss, Akermanis, Ashcroft, White.

• Merger benefits, such as nabbing a Hall Of Fame defender in Chris Johnson for nothing and drafting Jonathan Brown for peanuts because his dad played 51 games for Fitzroy.

• Their use of halftime IV-drips is banned, but only after they roll over the top of us in the 2001 Qualifying Final we were comfortably winning.

they still had to go out there and win them, but bloody hell. with a similar suite of free kicks the 01-04 Port team would be unlucky to lose a game.

All 4 of those teams we at one stage challenged against in their dominant era.

Brisbane lost a Prelim, won a GF against them.
Lost Prelims by a kick to both eventual premiers Hawthorn and Richmond.
Lost a GF to Geelong

In terms of quality of sides:
Brisbane and Geelong easily top 2.

Richmond and Hawthorn a rung below.

I don't know who is best but I do note that we have more minor premierships than all of them.

We've had our chances to be as successful as those teams but have continually failed.

John Cahill knew how to convert opportunities into premierships. We seem to have lost that ability since he got shafted.

So the 4 dynasties this century

Brisbane
Geelong
Hawthorn
Richmond

Which is better?
Easily Richmond, as others have said.
It’s actually genuine (as far as we know).
No priority picks, drugs, concessions, father sons etc.

John Cahill knew how to convert opportunities into premierships. We seem to have lost that ability since he got shafted.

2001 is the great sliding doors moment.

Apart from the obvious opportunity of killing Brisbane’s era in the cradle by winning that year’s Qualifying Final up there (17 points up when Peter goals with 7 mins gone in Q3), blowing it against Hawthorn in the Semi the week after (9 points up when Dew goals with 18 mins gone in Q4) was an all-time derailment.

Fast-forward 12 months, and going into that final against Collingwood with a 0-3 September record instead of the bare minimum of a repechage win against the Hawks and the monkey on the back was already a gorilla.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drink and drive you're a bloody idiot.

Remember when Jay Schulz cost them that particular sponsorship? Feels like a billion years ago.

Remember when Jay Schulz cost them that particular sponsorship? Feels like a billion years ago.
Their heads are exploding.
Imagine if Port players did this.

Back when we benefited from their ineptitude Richmond in different ways.

Schulz.
Rodan.
White.
Chaplin.
Thomas.
Choco.

The only one I feel for was poor Adam Thomson, actually wanted him to succeed.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

It's worth mentioning that 2 of Brisbane's flags came against bog average Collingwood teams who were only there because we kept choking.

We beat them in all of their premiership years. We'll never really know of course but the sliding doors moments are stark.

I reckon we go on and win it all in '01 if Brisbane don't have IVs shoved in their arms and we hold on in the QF. Our momentum in the second half of that season was huge but it all came crashing down in that second half of the QF.

Not sure about '02, we barely beat them in R22 and that was at home. And then they soundly beat us in the PF up at the GABBA. I think they would've had our measure in the GF.

As for '03, that could've gone either way.

Drink and drive you're a bloody idiot.

Good lord, I hate the player culture of AFL.
It’s like they think they are NBA level stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back