Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

well Melbourne have no need for Wines so he won’t be getting you Oliver. Doubt Wines would want to leave Port after a top season and I doubt Port would also give him up for a draft pick as they would be considering themselves a premiership chance.
We'll see how it all plays out. Thankfully your opinion and whether you "doubt" it, won't impact the actual world. so we'll just see how it plays out hey? I'm not confident of anything, just interested to see what happens.

Heard theres still talks Wines wants out of Port Adelaide like last season (he reached out privately to Carlton last year but a deal couldn't be done as we were focussing on Papley - has been confirmed by Sam Edmund, among others). Talk is it might happen again this year. Aren't he and Viney also best mates?

And yeah, it may be pennies on the dollar (although i'd say thats hyperbole, Wines and a first rounder is quality comepnsation for Oliver). But that's what happens when you have players wanting to leave your club. You don't get top value if thye want to leave. Really up to Melbourne to build a better culture and a better performing team and these issues wont arise.
Then why Doesn't Carlton go for Ollie Wines instead of Oliver? It'll cost you far less

Hell no. Oliver is better than Wines and we can get Brown with the draft picks we already have.
Fair enough - but re: the bolded, I should've been clearer that it would be Carlton giving NM the picks for Brown and not Melbourne. So in such a scenario you'd lose Oliver, gain Wines and Brown, and keep all draft picks.

Then why Doesn't Carlton go for Ollie Wines instead of Oliver? It'll cost you far less
They probably are, and assuming nothing transpires here it is where they will turn their attention. It's smart to keep your options open. But as mentioned, Oliver being the younger option would be the more attractive and a higher priority.

Last edited:

We'll see how it all plays out. Thankfully your opinion and whether you "doubt" it, won't impact the actual world. so we'll just see how it plays out hey? I'm not confident of anything, just interested to see what happens.
I’m going off what Ken Hinkley has said in Wines. Port are in win mode now, they aren’t trading Wines for a draft pick.

Fair enough - but re: the bolded, I should've been clearer that it would be Carlton giving NM the picks for Brown and not Melbourne. So in such a scenario you'd lose Oliver, gain Wines and Brown, and keep all draft picks.
I get that, but Melbourne don’t want draft picks, we’ll trade our picks for Brown and keep Oliver

I’m going off what Ken Hinkley has said in Wines. Port are in win mode now, they aren’t trading Wines for a draft pick.
Oh absolutely, but what a coach wants and what a player wants aren't always necessarily aligned. Wines, like Oliver, is contracted. With his current contract not set to expire until the end of 2022. However if "compelling compensation" is offered now (to borrow Dodoro's turn of phrase) - it may be in Port's best interest to cut an asset, allow Rozzee and Butters more space and lessen the risk of him leaving for a second roudn compensation pick when his contract is up and he's a free agent. Assuming that is, that Wines desperately wants to leave. Which could not be the case.

Heard theres still talks Wines wants out of Port Adelaide like last season (he reached out privately to Carlton last year but a deal couldn't be done as we were focussing on Papley - has been confirmed by Sam Edmund, among others). Talk is it might happen again this year. Aren't he and Viney also best mates?

Jeepers, Wines another poor bugger that is secretly desperate to get to Carlton? You guys better find a way to start closing these deals

I think a trade will not be able to get done and Clarry stays at Melbourne for at least one more year, but things must have detoriated pretty badly between him and a couple of people at the club (reportedly Viney) for it to actually come to this.

Come to what?

Oh absolutely, but what a coach wants and what a player wants aren't always necessarily aligned. Wines, like Oliver, is contracted. With his current contract not set to expire until the end of 2022. However if "compelling compensation" is offered now (to borrow Dodoro's turn of phrase) - it may be in Port's best interest to cut an asset, allow Rozzee and Butters more space and lessen the risk of him leaving for a second roudn compensation pick when his contract is up and he's a free agent. Assuming that is, that Wines desperately wants to leave. Which could not be the case.
Fortunately for Port Wines has 2 years on his contract and won’t have to worry about losing him through free agency until 2022. It’s a bit like Gibbs to Adelaide when he had 2 years on his contract.

It would stagger me if Wines who is from Echuca not Melbourne, would leave Port now after they have risen to the top of the ladder and were a bit over a goal away from a Grand Final, for rumoured clubs Essendon and Carlton or you suggested Melbourne, 3 clubs that didn’t play finals. He was once captain and current vice captain, if he ever wanted to leave Port this would be the most unlikely of years, but you never know, stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Before being facetious, maybe check the facts, Wines management did contact Carlton requesting a trade it was all over the media at the time.

Hmmm, you guys have a ****** terrible record at landing guys who want to get to your club! Maybe there's nothing to worry about even if Clarry wanted the trade... not that anybody has actually publicly said that he does... well, in fact about half a dozen have scoffed at it... but let's just say that he did, then it appears that Carlton would just bollocks it up anyway. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question for Dees supporters. Would you be happy to swap Oliver for Wines AND B.Brown?

I ask this only because I think the only potential way Carlton could satisfy a trade (without giving up an essential player) would be to help Melbourne obtain their own targets.
No

I am not sure why anyone would think we would want Wines as a trade for Oliver.

If anything our team is too inside midcentric, so why would would swap our best inside midfielder for another inside midfielder who is half as good?

Well, there's so many quality players falling all over themselves to play for the Blues, but you don't manage to sign any of them. Wines, Papley, Shiel, Oliver, and several others...

Something's not adding up. At least Papley did nominate you.

Well, there's so many quality players falling all over themselves to play for the Blues, but you don't manage to sign any of them. Wines, Papley, Shiel, Oliver, and several others...

Something's not adding up. At least Papley did nominate you.

It's not the best place to discuss this, but Shiel is the only semi-relevant example there given he actually left his then-current club, but he chose Essendon so suggesting we failed to get a deal done with GWS is a very long bow.

Wines stayed, Papley stayed, Oliver we have nothing concrete from yet.

It's not the best place to discuss this, but Shiel is the only semi-relevant example there given he actually left his then-current club, but he chose Essendon so suggesting we failed to get a deal done with GWS is a very long bow.

Wines stayed, Papley stayed, Oliver we have nothing concrete from yet.

You're missing the point. According to your ITKs they were all absolutely foaming at the mouth to play in the navy blue. There's only really two ways to see this: 1) Carlton are terrible at getting the deal across the line; or, 2) Those players didn't have such a hardon to play for Carlton after all. I'm suggesting the latter, and I think that applies to Clayton Oliver as well.

Serious question for Dees supporters. Would you be happy to swap Oliver for Wines AND B.Brown?
A player we don't need in Wines and a 30year old+ forward who is literally being thrown out the door at his current club, for one of the best young midfielders in the AFL.

That would be a steal. For that price you can have May, Pickett, Lever, Viney and our theme song as well.

Before being facetious, maybe check the facts, Wines management did contact Carlton requesting a trade it was all over the media at the time.
But the media right now is wrong when they report that Oliver is definitely not leaving?

You're missing the point. According to your ITKs they were all absolutely foaming at the mouth to play in the navy blue. There's only really two ways to see this: 1) Carlton are terrible at getting the deal across the line; or, 2) Those players didn't have such a hardon to play for Carlton after all. I'm suggesting the latter, and I think that applies to Clayton Oliver as well.

Or 3) Given all those players were contracted, and only one moved to another club, the issue is being blown way out of proportion by fans on BigFooty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back