Review Winners and Losers of the 2020 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we did reasonably well.

Brown's compensation obviously wasn't ideal.

But we also received a top 30 pick for a 33 year old.

And key, we didn't weaken our draft hand and still brought in 3 young players in Stephenson, Young and Atu.

Take 2,11,30,39 to the draft.

Brown will be pretty quickly replaced in the long term if McDonald or Thilthorpe slot into his position in the next month.

Place us firmly in the bottom 4-6 for trade week.

Chasing our tails trying to fill another hole, at the expense of a required KPP going into his prime....thereby throwing away what we were chasing last season. Pointless.

Once again we made dog paddle look like an olympic event.

1 step fwd 1 step back. Leaving our rebuild 100% draft lottery dependent.

I'm not sure about trades but you certainly win best avatar.

Can't we all just agree that ...

We won huge on one particular trade and barely lost on anything else. Didn't do a hell of a lot else so can't come in here saying we went close to winning trade period. But Phillips (especially) and Hartigan instantly improve our list after a pretty big post-season turnover. Happy.

Dogs did some insane work.

St.Kilda as well.

It's funny seeing Essendon supporters mad about not gaining Dunkley. Saad is the only big loss from the Bombers. Taking out Daniher and Fantasia because they never play and Essendon have ended up with Caldwell, Hind and Wright and picks 6, 7 and 8. if Dodoro wasn't hell bent on 'winning' trade period every season I think everybody would be looking at their inclusions and draft position very favourably. I'd argue they're better off with those 3 draft selections than losing 2 just to bring in Dunkley.

Bulldogs/Collingwood aside, Hawks improved their list for nothing and I thought Melbourne did well - Brown will give them a legitimate target next year and the cost was their back up ruckman which means little as they have Luek Jackson to get games into anyway. Brown will give Weideman the 2nd defender and he could come on next year with another pre-season under his belt.

Adelaide also did pretty well when you consider Hately is a first round draft pick 2 years ago and they'll get him for free in the PSD. View it as a swap of Brad Crouch for Hately + a 2nd rounder, that's a good deal.

Normally we win trade period and are pathetic once the season starts so time to turn the tables 😂

Seriously though yeah I’m upset we didn’t gain Dunkley and Saad leaves a massive hole which weakens us further but as much as I loved Joe and Raz we haven’t seen them for the best part of 2-3 years.
No doubt bottom 4 is a definite and most likely bottom two but 6,7,8 plus Caldwell and two academy kids is a good start unless we botch it badly. Still think we might split or move one or two of those picks so a lot to play out still

Swans definitely lost out on Aliir, leaving our defensive stocks rather thin. We did get Hickey though who feels a real need and also got a lot more points for Campbell and Gulden bids, so a mixed bag for the Swans.

Not sure about the Dees. To effectively trade Pruess for Brown was great work but the exchange in picks in Brisbane is an odd one, particularly as Im not confident about us making the eight next year.

Kangas did well in the end, Dogs and Saints nailed their strategies and and Saad will be like Cinderellas slipper for Carlton.

And I dont mind Fantasia heading to Port, he will do well in their forward line and may even surprise some Port fans.

Swans definitely lost out on Aliir, leaving our defensive stocks rather thin. We did get Hickey though who feels a real need and also got a lot more points for Campbell and Gulden bids, so a mixed bag for the Swans.

We essentially traded a 26yr old best 22 KPD, for a 30 year old ruckman and moved some points from next year to this year

Definitely more negatives than positives imo

Happy to have another ruck, but pretty disillusioned we needed to move Aliir on to get one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 5 in terms of improving for 2021:

Saints - Brought in Crouch as FA and J Higgins for fair value
Port - Fantasia and Aliir for reasonable value
Carlton - Williams as FA, Saad for reasonable value (some will argue a bit overs, some a bit unders) and Fogarty for not much
Dogs - Treloar for a steal, Hannan & Martin cheap pick ups to bolster areas of need
Brisbane - Daniher as FA, Cockatoo for cheap
Cats - Cameron, I Smith & J Higgins improves them next year even if it did cost them draft picks, Cockatoo & Fogarty

Worst 3 in terms of becoming weaker for 2021 specifically:

Collingwood - Lost Treloar, Stephenson, Phillips & Atu with no players coming in
Essendon - Lost Daniher, Saad & Fantasia with Caldwell and Hind coming in (but they did reasonably well with a focus on the future)
GWS - Lost Cameron, Williams, Caldwell, Corr, Hately & Langdon with only Hogan & Preuss coming in.

A bit meh this year, Dogs probably the big winners but it is hard not to win when you are getting a top rated key forward for peanuts anyway. Treloar plus keeping Dunkley makes that midfield even more monstrous and Martin was a good pick up to help English.

Brisbane went for a couple of gambles, if Daniher and Cockatoo get fit they are huge winners.

Geelong did well for the short term but at the expense of the longer term. Cocky and Fogarty meh but we effectively miss this draft.

Rest in the middle, see how it goes.

Then daylight.

Then nightlight.

Then a galaxy spanning journey.

Then Collingwood. Long time since I can remember a club losing so massively in the trade period and after watching Ned Guy talk on TV I would be terrified if I was a Pies supporter. He seems more out of his depth than Mark Neeld was.

Personally I'm disappointed with the Bombers this trade period. Had a great chance to get the exact player they needed, knew what it would cost and didn't pull the trigger. Thought the point of being stubborn and getting what they wanted for Saad and not giving a first for Caldwell would mean they sucked it up and paid overs for Dunkley. Even try pick 8 and future first for Dunkley and future 2nd or something. Or swap pick 8 and something for Collingwood pick 16 and future first.

Solid B for us.
Dunkley would have been the icing, but not to be.

Lose the talent of Daniher, but gain the youth and durability (and ruck flexibility) of Wright. Plus pick 7 in, 4th rounder out.
Lose the pace of Fantasia, but gain Caldwell.
Lose a quality defender in Saad. Gain 8. Will be a rob peter, pay paul situation. Worth noting Saad was a rookie draftee...so we should look to find a couple of replacements late in the drafts.

Draft night a big one for us.
Do we try trade up, field offers to trade down
Both?

Extremely happy with North's result. A grade talent bought in for a packet of chips, and still have two first round picks.

Rebuild proceeding nicely.

Geelong went into trade week thinking they’d get Cameron for nothing and ended up coughing up their first 3 picks. How is that a win?

2020 draft is a cluster-f*** after pick 5, no exposed form, some junior players shifting to next years draft.

Geelong lose three draft picks in the teens this year but gain two picks in the twenties in next years much deeper draft and they get Cameron who is a 60 goal a year player.

Geelong via Wells know exactly what they are doing, they are one of the trade winners this year.

2020 draft is a cluster-f*** after pick 5, no exposed form, some junior players shifting to next years draft.

Geelong lose three draft picks in the teens this year but gain two picks in the twenties in next years much deeper draft and they get Cameron who is a 60 goal a year player.

Geelong via Wells know exactly what they are doing, they are one of the trade winners this year.

Could be right, but they fully expected to get Cameron via free agency and would have used those picks either in the draft to bring in youth, or trade them for other assets.

They could have been the huge winner of trade week, but GWS matching scuppered it.

Could be right, but they fully expected to get Cameron via free agency and would have used those picks either in the draft to bring in youth, or trade them for other assets.

They could have been the huge winner of trade week, but GWS matching scuppered it.

Restricted free agents fundamentally are not free agents.

Little difference between Cameron and Saad even though the former was RFA and the latter standard uncontracted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back