Review Winners and Losers of the 2020 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy Blues supporter. Overpaid slightly for Saad but we landed the 3 players we targeted at the start whilst retaining all our draft picks for next season and still have Salary Cap room for Cripps and a gun FA next year

Williams Saad & Fogarty really add to our list and fill some genuine needs. Will make a big difference. Now our younger players need to step up and better development and a dedicated reserves will really help

Importantly not one player was traded or asked for a trade. Says a lot about the club and where it’s heading

Hopefully can add a KPP & Back up Ruck through DFA or Mature Rookie

Finals is now the expectation for 2021

Go Blues 😎

Not getting Dunkley is a shame as he is the type of player you’d hope to draft and our drafting record isn’t amazing.

However, I understand why we’d be so hesitant to offer a future first as it is extremely likely to be pick 1-4 and we’d probably rather a chance at top talent in a so called super draft.

Adding to the complexity, picks in this draft were never going to satisfy the Dogs due to JUH.

As a result, it’s quite clear that a trade that satisfied both parties was going to be unlikely.

The Dons have a great draft hand and now we need to bring some young talent into the club.

Overall I’d agree that the Dogs and Saints did very well with Collingwood the clear ‘loser’.

Sure, which is why it was dumb to go after him in the first place. It is hard to think of a more difficult player to get considering the circumstances. Almost any other midfielder from any club would have been easier to get.

Happy with the saints haul, Crouch is exactly what we need and Higgins is an upgrade on Lonie & Kent, McKernan obviously only there as a back-ups back up but I've seen worse players.
Gotta admit I'm also a bit puzzled about the dogs, all year you hear (read) their supporters moan about s**t delivery into their forward line and then they spend $3mil on a guy who ranks 11th in clangers and 6th for turnovers in the league. I thought they would've been better off just giving that midfield time to Dunkley.
Martin may be old, but he's an experienced ruckman and everyone last year said what a waste it was for us trading for Ryder and that turned out great, so it could work.

The mids will fit it just frees Bont up to play more forward similar to how dusty and danger are playing atm. Extra four mins a quarter too and we were lucky with libba this year but his knee is no good. Fantastic player but it wouldn't be good list management expecting 22 games out of him next year.

Starting mids: Martin/English, Bont/Dunkley, macrae/libba, Smith/Treloar

Hunter and Lipinski?

Hunter and Lipinski?
Lippa is gonna be in the 2s as I think Vandermeer will take his spot on the wing. Hunter owns one wing and maybe treloar or vandermeer rotating on the other. Good problem to have but lots of spots. Dont want to piss of B Smith with lack of mid time as I can see opposition throwing HUGE $s his way

Very happy Blues supporter. Overpaid slightly for Saad but we landed the 3 players we targeted at the start whilst retaining all our draft picks for next season and still have Salary Cap room for Cripps and a gun FA next year

Williams Saad & Fogarty really add to our list and fill some genuine needs. Will make a big difference. Now our younger players need to step up and better development and a dedicated reserves will really help

Importantly not one player was traded or asked for a trade. Says a lot about the club and where it’s heading

Go Blues 😎

Yep. I've been very impressed with the way the Blues have gone about things recently.

Everyone always wants to have their cake and eat it too, but unfortunately for Geelong GWS didn't finish lower enough to not match... Some Geelong supporters thought we would get him for nothing, but a large portion knew that wasn't going to happen. Richmond got lucky with Lynch, because Gold Coast finished down the bottom...

I've never really understood that saying, what is the point of having cake if you can't eat it.

I've never really understood that saying, what is the point of having cake if you can't eat it.
It means if you have the cake and proceed to eat it you no longer have the cake.

So you can have the cake or you can eat the cake. You can not eat it and have it.

Doggies were definate losers.
5 year $3 million contract for a 28 year old mid with mental health issues and sever hamstring injuries. A ruckmen that is finished and a fringe half forward that couldn't get a game at the Dees.
Exactly how did they nail this?

They basically only gave up a future 2nd and 3rd so you cant say they lost on what they paid but i dont think they improved their list as much as people think.

Think the Blues nailed it, yep probably gave up a little more than what Saad is worth and Williams is probably on a little more coin than worth.

However they don't need more kids, they have the cap space and as long as no one tips out the other end next season it was totally worth it.

Two key players to fill needs on the Blues list. They are a finals contender for the first time in years and that is a great result for the club.

Happy with the saints haul, Crouch is exactly what we need and Higgins is an upgrade on Lonie & Kent, McKernan obviously only there as a back-ups back up but I've seen worse players.
Gotta admit I'm also a bit puzzled about the dogs, all year you hear (read) their supporters moan about sh*t delivery into their forward line and then they spend $3mil on a guy who ranks 11th in clangers and 6th for turnovers in the league. I thought they would've been better off just giving that midfield time to Dunkley.
Martin may be old, but he's an experienced ruckman and everyone last year said what a waste it was for us trading for Ryder and that turned out great, so it could work.

Because it just makes their midfield so overwhelming for the opposition to manage. Imagine you are the five or so on-ballers from another side, you play against the Dogs they have ten creditable midfielders they can put up against you. Even if the F50 delivery is s**t weight of numbers eventually wins out most of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it just makes their midfield so overwhelming for the opposition to manage. Imagine you are the five or so on-ballers from another side, you play against the Dogs they have ten creditable midfielders they can put up against you. Even if the F50 delivery is sh*t weight of numbers eventually wins out most of the time.
So with just one less (Treloar) this year, why did they have a percentage of just 66 against the other teams who made the eight and win just one of eight games against them?

Gamble would be does Dunkley added to our midfield lift us from bottom 6 (given the state of our fwd and back line).
If not, i'm happy to wait 12m, revisit next year if possible. And not gamble a potential top 5 pick away on top of another top 10 pick.

I believe Dons dodged a bullet by missing Dunkley. Going to draft with 3 picks inside top 10, keeping 2nd round pick next year (then used on Caldwell) and getting Peter Wright cheap whilst now having Salary Cap money is a massive win and will set them up better for next few years.

They will get some real talent with those picks, Caldwell will be a Gun and Wright will be better than most believe.

Last edited:
I believe Dons dodged a bullet by missing Dunkley. Going to draft with 3 picks inside top 10, keeping 2nd round pick next year and getting Peter Wright cheap whilst now having Salary Cap money is a massive win and will set them up better for next few years.

They will get some real talent with those picks, Caldwell will be a Gun and Wright will be better than most believe.
our 2nd rd pick is gone (Caldwell deal)
We have 2x 3rds though (GWS and ours).

Key now is nail those 3 picks (easier said than done)
Keep Merrett beyond next year
And develop a very young spine (zerk, brand,eyre, wright...might add a Reid, McDonald, Baldwin)

My ideal picks at those 3 are Reid (FB), Perkins (dynamic mid/fwd), O'Driscoll (inside mid)

The saying is actually backwards, technically it should be "eat your cake and have it too" - Thanks to the Unabomber for bringing that in to popular culture.

So with just one less (Treloar) this year, why did they have a percentage of just 66 against the other teams who made the eight and win just one of eight games against them?

Crazy Bevo being crazy.

Dogs are a bizarre side, when they're on they can look like worldbeaters, but some strange coaching decisions usually cost them a game or two each year, plus their KPD and KPF stocks have been lacking. Stef Martin might help as it means one of he or English can be up front along with Naughton, and JUH potentially coming straight in as a third tall.

Likely outcome of Treloar in is that Bontempelli plays more minutes forward too I'd think.

I'm happy with our trade period.

Saad the only real loss considering Fantasia and Daniher hardly played for us, but luckily it's a position we can fill relatively easily.
Caldwell for an appropriate price, Wright for a good price, Hind as a short-term Saad replacement + pick 6, 7, 8 + keeping our future first gives us a strong draft hand.
Yep agree with all of this

Had you gotten Dunkley which is the exact type of player you need I would have said you were one of the winners in the trade period. But 2 first rounders for Dunkley is too much

I believe Dons dodged a bullet by missing Dunkley. Going to draft with 3 picks inside top 10, keeping 2nd round pick next year and getting Peter Wright cheap whilst now having Salary Cap money is a massive win and will set them up better for next few years.

I think you’ve nailed it.

To understand how each club did in trade period top line is superficial because each club has different objectives based on where their lists are at in terms of the Premiership window.

Essendon would’ve loved Dunkley in the club. However it wasn’t going to pay too much.

Losing Daniher, Fantasia and Saad means it’s thinking clearly reverts from entering the window to resetting its foundations.

With this in mind, it’s got a strong core group of 19-23 year olds now to build from. It brings in a young and talented inside midfielder (Caldwell) to improve balance to a young and talented midfield. It brought in Hind at no cost to counter loss of run and speed from backline and it got Wright for basically nothing as a youngish forward / ruck with plenty of upside.

It will build on its base of quality youth with 3 top 10 picks. It can exit 2020 with a strong foundation now in place.

It has lots of cap space and can iver the next 2 years go out and compliment its youth with quality and experience in key positions as required to balance out the rebuild ahead of a potential crack again from 2022 and beyond.

That’s how they’d see it and I think that’s more than sound. Every clubs in a different position with different objectives based on list status. Essendon has had to reset quickly on the run and so far I think it’s doing a decent job of it and would be pleased with where it’s at and how it’s positioning itself.

Now it just needs to fix the broader club.

Go Blues 😎
Blues did well, the only 'criticism' I would say is pick 6 for Saad is a fair way over IMO.

Perhaps could have looked early on to split that for a pick (e.g. 13 and 20 from Cats) and given up 13 for Saad.

Other than that, they have done well, though I'm not convinced on Williams as a mid, unless it's a wing position. Time will tell.

I believe Dons dodged a bullet by missing Dunkley. Going to draft with 3 picks inside top 10, keeping 2nd round pick next year (then used on Caldwell) and getting Peter Wright cheap whilst now having Salary Cap money is a massive win and will set them up better for next few years.

Agree that 2 firsts (top 10s) for Dunkley was way too much to pay, but fair on the Dogs for asking.
I think that was the right play by all.
Caldwell will be a great mid, but I'm surprised Essendon didn't have a go for Will Brodie who might have been able to play that role.

Agree that 2 firsts (top 10s) for Dunkley was way too much to pay, but fair on the Dogs for asking.
I think that was the right play by all.
Caldwell will be a great mid, but I'm surprised Essendon didn't have a go for Will Brodie who might have been able to play that role.
I'm surprised we didn't try to get Brodie or Constable too. Probably had all their eggs in the Dunkley basket.
But then, it doesn't sound like we tried to get either last year, so might just not have any interest for whatever reason.

Blues did well, the only 'criticism' I would say is pick 6 for Saad is a fair way over IMO.

Perhaps could have looked early on to split that for a pick (e.g. 13 and 20 from Cats) and given up 13 for Saad.

Other than that, they have done well, though I'm not convinced on Williams as a mid, unless it's a wing position. Time will tell.

Whilst I agree Pick 8 is high for Saad need to consider from clubs point of view. Blues believe they have enough young players at the moment and didn’t rate or want to go to the draft so trading that pick wasn’t a big deal for them. Also allowed them to keep all next years picks where they rate the draft a lot higher

Remove this Banner Ad

Back