Review Winners and Losers of the 2020 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

No chance we offer a future first. It’s likely to be a top 3 pick and the top handful of mids next year project as Judd/Hodge level players. Bringing in Dunkley at that price would be detrimental to actually building a premiership caliber team rather than just one that isn’t terrible.
So don’t tell him you can do it when clearly you couldn’t

Dogs smashed it. Last club to get an NGA bargain and played that leverage perfectly.

North cashed in two ageing assets in Brown and Higgins, brought in players that fit list needs at low prices.

Now, if Adelaide call out Elijah Hollands or Riley Thilthore as ppick 1, I reckon we'll be able to absolutely take Essendon to the cleaners for pick 2 and McDonald.
I thought North did really well in a tough set of circumstances

What does having pre dibs on the #1 draft seed have to do with the trade period?

Yes their biggest strength just got slightly stronger.

And? I'm talking about performance in this draft period
Its relevant to what you have available to trade and what you need. We increased our points position as well as the players we picked up.

Yeah, I don't get why the Dogs are being considered a winner based on trade period alone. Sure, they got Treloar cheap, but imo he's the most overrated player in the league and one of two players along with Dylan Shiel that I see as being a microcosm of everything that could be considered wrong in the modern game.

They're both great athletes and can find the footy with ease, but their decision making and disposal, especially under pressure, is ****ing atrocious. I also don't see the fit at all in the Dogs' midfield. They've already got enough blokes there that rack up the pill without being particularly damaging with the ball, and Treloar is just another one of those.

So don’t tell him you can do it when clearly you couldn’t

Pickering said the offer was more than fair. There was even a deal that got you Treloar, Pies future first and still enough second rounders to get JUH. You didn’t want to let him go. I’m happy with a rebuild, Doggies are happy, Dunkleys not but he wasn’t happy before so nothing changes there.

How about making promises he can’t keep that will negatively impact credibility in the future?

Which never happens. Missed on Caddy still got SSSS, missed on Martin still got Caldwell. Players will make the move if the finances and opportunity is there.

Pickering said the offer was more than fair. There was even a deal that got you Treloar, Pies future first and still enough second rounders to get JUH. You didn’t want to let him go. I’m happy with a rebuild, Doggies are happy, Dunkleys not but he wasn’t happy before so nothing changes there.
Pickering is not our list manager and you clearly are unhappy

How about making promises he can’t keep that will negatively impact credibility in the future?

Well he offered overs and still couldn't get the deal done. Dogs made a stand as is their right, but it wasn't through a lack of trying. No way is Dunkley worth what Power wanted, but Dodoro would have done the same so there are no hard feelings there. If he had given up 7 and a future first (likely a top 5 pick in a strong draft) I would say the majority of our supporters will have been filthy. He ain't the Bont.

You’ll take 2 years of pain.
What’s the last 6000 days been for you ?
See you in 5 years ... IF Adrian gets everything right ... good luck !!
Why the toxicity of these posts? What’s wrong with what this post said? Don’t have to be nasty.

What he said sounds right.

The club has had to reset again. It’s gone through a supplements saga many clubs wouldn’t have survived, lost draft pics, lost players and been dragged through the mud for 8 years. It finally got through it, built a strong list, great facility but couldn’t provide an environment to bring it together the last 3 years to deliver on field results.. That’s not Adrian’s fault. It’s a much broader dysfunctional club issue.

It’s now undertaking a significant much needed review and out of it Essendon supporters hope it yields a club prepared to address widespread systemic issues that have existed for years and held the club back. Fix injury management, bed down game plan, clear alignment of coaches, address player development and leadership on and off field.

List management hasn’t been anywhere near the biggest issue impacting the club the last 10 years I can be certain if that. Adrian got quality in the door but the club didn’t provide an environment they could succeed in. As Fantasia said this week in trying to explain what happened amongst other things, the “players didn’t gel”.

Adrian is now pivoting to regenerate its foundation again with high end draft pics to support an already in place raft of talent under 23 years of age. Next year and year after it will then add experienced quality free agents to fill gaps and balance out this list. It tried with Dunkley this year, it will try again next year with others.

This will now take 2 years. Most Essendon people realise and accept that. If you want to throw around cheap shots like 6,000 days rubbish then good luck to you.

I’m not sure how including the bloke from the NGA as part of the argument that Bulldogs ‘smashed it’ is relevant. It was a silver platter-they have done nothing. Not relevant.
Probably not directly relevant to their trade period, however knowing they will draft him shaped their entire trade and drafting strategy. Not often a club playing finals is guaranteed a top pick and KPF via the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with the whole post. Good summary.

Only thing I'd pick at is the 3 way deal if you take out Treloar, and what they got/traded for him then the Dogs only really get the Pies future first right?

It's why they were always saying Treloar is separate. Dodo was always trying to get him in the deal so he could say that they got 'Treloar and...'

Agree with the whole post. Good summary.

Only thing I'd pick at is the 3 way deal if you take out Treloar, and what they got/traded for him then the Dogs only really get the Pies future first right?

It's why they were always saying Treloar is separate. Dodo was always trying to get him in the deal so he could say that they got 'Treloar and...'

Sure and Pies would have got fair value for Treloar. The Dogs did very well but the notion of offering what Dunkley is worth as some moral high ground is a bit absurd considering how they twisted the knife in Collingwood. It would have been overs for Dunkley, but they wanted an outright win as is their prerogative.

Last edited:
Pretty happy with Norths trading.

The net result is that we are stronger than before we went into trade ‘week’, and still have two first round picks.

‘The club obviously has a plan, and they are sticking to it.

Yeah, I don't get why the Dogs are being considered a winner based on trade period alone. Sure, they got Treloar cheap, but imo he's the most overrated player in the league and one of two players along with Dylan Shiel that I see as being a microcosm of everything that could be considered wrong in the modern game.

They're both great athletes and can find the footy with ease, but their decision making and disposal, especially under pressure, is ******* atrocious. I also don't see the fit at all in the Dogs' midfield. They've already got enough blokes there that rack up the pill without being particularly damaging with the ball, and Treloar is just another one of those.

We have a lot of that type because that's our system. We win games by winning clearances and starving the opposition. The way we transition the ball is handballing in traffic while running in waves. Treloar is pretty much perfect for this style. Does increasing our strengths help us or do the weaknesses just become more severe? Remains to be seen but if it does work we did it at a bargin.

We won huge on one particular trade and barely lost on anything else. Didn't do a hell of a lot else so can't come in here saying we went close to winning trade period. But Phillips (especially) and Hartigan instantly improve our list after a pretty big post-season turnover. Happy.

Dogs did some insane work.

St.Kilda as well.

It's funny seeing Essendon supporters mad about not gaining Dunkley. Saad is the only big loss from the Bombers. Taking out Daniher and Fantasia because they never play and Essendon have ended up with Caldwell, Hind and Wright and picks 6, 7 and 8. if Dodoro wasn't hell bent on 'winning' trade period every season I think everybody would be looking at their inclusions and draft position very favourably. I'd argue they're better off with those 3 draft selections than losing 2 just to bring in Dunkley.
I fully agree with your last sentence and I think you will find many other Dons followers are also glad we didn't overpay for a bloke who wants to leave the Dogs cause he can't get a slot in their (admittedly strong) midfield.

So you know as a fact what 'promises' Dodoro made to Dunkley do you? Are you Josh's brother or Liam Pickering posting under an alias? Or maybe just engaging in Trumpian inventiveness?

If you think that’s anyway structured linguistically as an excuse, attempting to reason with you is a fool’s errand.
Mate when you won’t admit to an epic fail it’s hard to take you seriously

The bombers went all out for Dunkley offering a mega contract for him and a charity one for his brother

whatever spin you want to put on it it’s a massive fail. in your arrogance you forgot the most important thing what price would get the seller to sell

Even Dodo himself admitted he would not have accepted the offer

Extraordinary arrogance and epic fail

Well he offered overs and still couldn't get the deal done. Dogs made a stand as is their right, but it wasn't through a lack of trying. No way is Dunkley worth what Power wanted, but Dodoro would have done the same so there are no hard feelings there. If he had given up 7 and a future first (likely a top 5 pick in a strong draft) I would say the majority of our supporters will have been filthy. He ain't the Bont.
You miss the point

if you had done the proper due diligence you would have known the price was to high

As it was Dodo arrogantly thought Power would fold.

Dont promise a contracted player something unless you can deliver because the next one will not believe you

So you know as a fact what 'promises' Dodoro made to Dunkley do you? Are you Josh's brother or Liam Pickering posting under an alias? Or maybe just engaging in Trumpian inventiveness?
Well I know this genius

Pickering would never gone public unless 99% certain Dodo could deliver as it now harms his clien.

Where do you reckon Tom Browne got his 1000% Twitter post it certainly did not come from the Dogs

Total amateurish behaviour

Long post but here are my ratings of every team
Adelaide - B: Get Hately for free. Got overs for Atkins in free agency but didn't get the compensation they were after for Crouch and didn't try and force a trade.
Brisbane - C: Daniher is the question mark. IF they fix his body, they win a premiership and it looks amazing. If they don't this period gets an E as they traded Witherden for peanuts and Cockatoo is also very iffy. Big question marks but, I think Daniher will finally become the best Key Forward in the comp in Brisbane and they win a flag this year.
Carlton - C: Paid massive overs for Williams (I'd pay no more than 500k over 4 years), and Essendon got what they wanted for Saad. These moves make them better but they paid too much to get them IMO. They shoulve targetted an inside mid such as Dunstan or Brodie. Fogarty is a nice addition.
Collingwood - E: I think people are missing the issue, it wasn't the moves in this period that were the issue, yes they were bad but shocking moves in 2018 and 2019 caused this to happen. The club has lied continuously and treated the supporters like morons. The only reason it isn't an F is that the best 22 hasn't changed much as I believe they picked the right players to move on besides Stephenson and Atu. They should've tried to move on Hoskin-Elliot & THomas, even if they would've netted 0 value. Just so many bad moves lead to this. Also, the lying to the players isn't good and morale seems as if it will be affected.. Ned Guy has to leave with Bucks and Eddie on high alert (1 more year)
Essendon - A: Considering how many players wanted to leave, they have done a sensational job. Won every trade they were involved in and didn't bend to the Bulldogs will and pay overs for Dunkley whose value will only go down with Treloar moving to the Dogs.
Fremantle - C: Lost Hogan for unders potential wise IMO but wasn't in Longmuirs plans so that is that. Natural progression wih this team
Geelong - C: Cameron is a big in but caved to GWS in giving up 3 picks. Gave overs for Higgins and the Smith signing baffles me. All I know is they are going all out for a flag and are going to struggle in the mid 2020s with the complete de-focus on youth but for their sake, hopefully they have a flag.
Gold Coast - D: Atkins on that money was baffling, he was getting de-listed I would've thought. Got Markov at a reasonable price but lost Wright for unders.
GWS - A: Like Essendon, did amazing with the hand they were dealt. Got good value for every player leaving besides Caldwell but he wasn't best 22 and fixed their ruck issue and Hogan if fit, should help.
Hawthorn - B: The Kyle Hartigan move baffles me but they got him for good value as he didn't affect the Smith compensation. Tom Phillips is a very good get in my eyes and he is a direct replacement for Smith and stolen at an absolute bargain.
Melbourne - C: Made a bad pick swap with Brisbane in my eyes but got Brown at a nice bargain. Lost Preuss which doesn't change their best 22 but didn't get grea value for him. Didn't address their need for a winger or off-load McDonald.
North Melbourne - B: Got great value for Higgins but lost Brown pretty cheap. Absolutely robbed Collingwood stealing Stephenson and Bosenavulagi for cheap. Lachie Young was received for nothing and the Aidan Corr signing while making them better, does seem overs but they do need to reach 95% of the cap.
Port Adelaide - B: Could very well end up an A depending on how Fantasia recovers but they did pay overs for him IMO. Aliir Aliir was an absolute steal and fixed their one pressing need of a taller defender.
Richmond - C: Didn't do much but they don't need to. I think the loss of Higgins for cheap will come back to bite them like Butler as I can't believe Castagna gets games ahead of him. Markov was lost for cheap but he is just depth.
St Kilda - A: Called the Crows bluff on Crouch having to give up nothing for him. Higgins also is another great get. Didn't fix their need for a key defender but they are in a good spot IMO. Should push for top 4 next year
Sydney - E: Lost Aliir who fits the rebuild massively for virtually nothing and paid overs for Hickey who is a tap ruck and nothing more. Will get the 2 academy players but they were the 2nd worst team over the period.
West Coast - A: Didn't do much but got great value wherever they looked. Witherden is a steal and Langdon could prove to be helpful. Got Sydneys 3rd back for Hickey and lost their 2nd but I think they will only be 5-10 picks away from each other so that is nothing.
Western Bulldogs - D: I didn't like this period from them plain and simple. Great get with Treloar for massive unders but he is just more of what they already have. They got Martin but I don't see how he helps them at all as even though they lost the hit out count most games, their midfield generally won most battles. Hannan is very average and just another average smaller forward which they have so many of. THey didn't address any of their actual needs like a good forward or a key defender or 2. THey held onto Dunkley who now, only loses value as Treloar will be playing which means he gets less midfield time. Why didn't they try and flip him to essendon for one first, a future 2nd and Hurley. Can have as good midfield as you want but when you have a bottom 3 forward line in the comp, will just not convert those inside 50s.

Edit: Melbourne gets pushed to a B as I thought they received less for Preuss.

Last edited:
Mate when you won’t admit to an epic fail it’s hard to take you seriously

The bombers went all out for Dunkley offering a mega contract for him and a charity one for his brother

whatever spin you want to put on it it’s a massive fail. in your arrogance you forgot the most important thing what price would get the seller to sell

Even Dodo himself admitted he would not have accepted the offer

Extraordinary arrogance and epic fail
So an epic fail is walking away from selling the farm for a player when you finish 13th with an elite KPF, a small forward and one of the best HBs in the league walking out of the door? Lol.

Dodoro did the right thing. Dunkley is great for us at a reasonable price so I'm glad we went after him. Dogs' demand wasn't reasonable so we walked away. Dogs can set the price at anything they want, but turning the collective value of Daniher and Saad into Dunkley is way overs for a struggling club, which is what dogs were essentially asking for. No problem walking away from that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back