Review Winners and Losers of the 2020 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice little cheap shot. So we are going to nosedive heavily from 13th?? Great call.

Essendon did the best they could out of a sh*t situation. Going to the draft and getting 3 top 10 talents is the forced rebuild we have needed for years.

Daniher is finished as an elite forward and Raz never got on the park. Saad is the big loss.

Caldwell is a great get for our list and somewhat offsets the disappointment missing out on Dunks.

As a Carlton supporter, it's very rich to suggest we've done poorly when we can now reload with elite young talent. Your aide has done it, and are now on the cusp of playing finals. I'll take 2 years of pain whilst blooding great talent then finishing 8-12 as we've done for 15 years.

You’ll take 2 years of pain.
What’s the last 6000 days been for you ?
See you in 5 years ... IF Adrian gets everything right ... good luck !!

Some solid talent and I really rate Parfitt & Clark but not enough to replace Selwood Ablett Danger Hawkins Taylor Duncan Guthrie over next 1-3 years. That is way too much top end talent to lose. Bit like Hawks a couple of years ago.

A lot can happen in 1-3 years. People said the same when we had to replace Scarlett, Enright, Johnson, Chapman, Ling, Harley, Mooney etc. While we haven’t won a premiership since, we’ve been a genuine contender every year bar 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about the Dees. To effectively trade Pruess for Brown was great work but the exchange in picks in Brisbane is an odd one, particularly as Im not confident about us making the eight next year.
I thought it was a bit odd at first glance as well.

My guess is they will use them to get a pick inside the top 15. There are a few punters who are saying the draft falls away after that.

We should take Hollands if he's available.

If we take McDonald the second after we drafting him the "jungle drums" start beating about going back west.

I don't know why Crows wouldn't take McDonald at 1.

Just my take and pretty early days still but I'd say:

I wouldn't be surprised if Crows bid on JUH (matched) then call McDonald's name.
Hollands would be a very good choice at 2, as would Phillips. IMHO they're the two best mids in the draft and both ready to play R1.
Sydney could take whoever North don't, or if they go tall take DGB or Tillthorpe.
Hawks should go with either of DGB or Tillthorpe. (but would be mad to pass if one of Hollands or Phillips is still available).
Then Suns take whoever is left of the 5 names I've mentioned - they will be hoping it's one of Phillips or Hollands as well).
Essendon will bid on Campbell, Sydney will match.
Then it's pretty wide open from there.

Last edited:
How did the Dogs do well?

While I agree they got Treloar for a steal, all things considered it's going to go down as a stuff up in a couple of years time when they lose Dunkley for a second round pick.

His value is diminishing and he will be seeing even less midfield time - the only place he shines - with Treloar's arrival.

Offered pick 7 and a future 2nd from the team that some would expect to finish last next year is just overs in general for a player like him.

They've had ongoing problems with having a surplus of inside mids for years now and it hasn't got them anywhere in regards to finals action, so this can't necessarily be expected to be any sort of panacea.

Dunkley had to start last year out of the midfield and at half forward after killing it in there towards the end of 2018, and did nothing until put in there from the game against Richmond, and then this year with Smith's emergence he was back to being almost exclusively out, and having next to no impact.

It's just not going to work.

There's only so many onballers you can play; and yeah they can spend time elsewhere, but they are usually just a shell of themselves, especially when it's not a permanent role that they can get accustomed to and have to keep chopping and changing; leading to them getting disgruntled due to not being played in their favourite "fun" spot and leaving on the cheap themselves anyway.
lol. General consensus is the Dogs won trade period. In what world does Dunkley ever go for a 2nd round pick?

Unless he’s traded out when he’s over 28. Far more valuable and dynamic than Crouch

Last edited:
Did Geelong overpay for Cameron?
Doubt it. Tell me the exact trade and will be able to think more about it but given did not see any really early pick get to the Giants I think GWS have done poorly in having Cameron and Caldwell go for nothing top notch coming back to them.
Geelong did well to not have to trade a quality player for Cameron.
I would be unimpressed with Jason McCartney right now if I was a Giants fan and content if I was a Cats fan.
Wells rarely gets them wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why Crows wouldn't take McDonald at 1.

Just my take and pretty early days still but I'd say:

I wouldn't be surprised if Crows bid on JUH (matched) then call McDonald's name.
Hollands would be a very good choice at 2, as would Phillips. IMHO they're the two best mids in the draft and both ready to play R1.
Sydney could take whoever North don't, or if they go tall take DGB or Tillthorpe.
Hawks should go with either of DGB or Tillthorpe. (but would be mad to pass if one of Hollands or Phillips is still available).
Then Suns take whoever is left of the 5 names I've mentioned - they will be hoping it's one of Phillips or Hollands as well).
Essendon will bid on Campbell, Sydney will match.
Then it's pretty wide open from there.

Agree that Crows take McDonald. Good analysis.

Collingwood DO look after their PAST players very well though....

Did you see the smile on Graham Wrights face when Hawthorn got Phillips for pick 63

We were ranked 12th. I do have a fear that Higgins will turn out to be a very good player.
Lol
Would love Wright at the pies.

Higgins...
Can't keep them all though!
Testament to everything about the RFC atm when quality is traded out for more opportunity. Winning club is winning.

Your funny

If we do lose Dunkley in the future it will be on our terms and not dictated by Dodo

If he had properly done his due diligence he would have known draft picks in this year were next to useless to us

Major stuff up by them and will hurt their credibility with players and managers going into the future

There is a new sherif in Trade Town
Dodoros incompetence is consistently hilarious.
Then along comes #Collingwood2020tradeperiod
:(

How did the Dogs do well?

While I agree they got Treloar for a steal, all things considered it's going to go down as a stuff up in a couple of years time when they lose Dunkley for a second round pick.

His value is diminishing and he will be seeing even less midfield time - the only place he shines - with Treloar's arrival.

Offered pick 7 and a future 2nd from the team that some would expect to finish last next year is just overs in general for a player like him.

They've had ongoing problems with having a surplus of inside mids for years now and it hasn't got them anywhere in regards to finals action, so this can't necessarily be expected to be any sort of panacea.

Dunkley had to start last year out of the midfield and at half forward after killing it in there towards the end of 2018, and did nothing until put in there from the game against Richmond, and then this year with Smith's emergence he was back to being almost exclusively out, and having next to no impact.

It's just not going to work.

There's only so many onballers you can play; and yeah they can spend time elsewhere, but they are usually just a shell of themselves, especially when it's not a permanent role that they can get accustomed to and have to keep chopping and changing; leading to them getting disgruntled due to not being played in their favourite "fun" spot and leaving on the cheap themselves anyway.
I’m not convinced Dunkley will see less midfield time. If games go back to the normal length then rotations will go back to normal. Dogs having greater midfield depth will be a big advantage. While most teams rotate their B & C grade mids into the middle the dogs will be adding players like Dunkley.

Not sure the dogs care to much about what may or may not happen in 2 years time.

Winners:

1. Dogs. Amazing really. Landed an A grader in exchange for a draft pick that was worthless to them. Stef Martin to assist in ruck. Kept Dunkley and kissed on the dick with JUH in draft.

2. Melbourne. Basically traded a VFL player in Preuss for one of the games most prolific goalkickers of last 5 years in Brown. Brown massively undervalued.

3. Saints. Keep adding to their list with value trades. Well placed to improve

4. Port. Top 4 side improved their list with two best 22 additions. I rate Allir and think he can become a very good player.

5. West Coast. Strong list improved by value picks in Witherden and Langdon. Well placed next year with less threat of players sooking it up in hubs.

6. Hawks. Didn’t do a lot but got a pick we didn’t expect to get for Smith and added a good player in Phillips for nothing.

7. Geelong. They added the best player of the trade period as well as two other experienced good players. They paid through the nose and their medium to long term future looks grim but they are right in the frame for 2021-2022. They are all in and this trade period will be judged on whether they win a flag. If they do, it’s a success.

8. north. Great value on Stephenson and Corr for free. Took a lousy deal on Brown but otherwise good, especially with no coach

9. Carlton. Free agent wins and improved their list. Overpaid for Saad but he’s a good player. Should improve in 2021.

10. Brisbane. This is a big if but if Daniher gets fit, they improve. As free agent no real loss.

OK
Essendon. Got good value for players who formed mass exodus but the exodus will see them a worse team in 2021. They were not planning to rebuild but that’s where they are at. Culture of mass walkouts a concern.

Richmond Freo GC Adelaide Sydney all pretty quiet.

Losers:
Giants. Got decent return for exodus but this is a club that should be contending not rebuilding - and they have lost star players. Their flag hopes from long running AFL gifts now looking slim.

Toxic:
Collingwood. Wow. Culture killer. Treated players like crap. Got bent over horribly in trades. Lies, lies and gaslighting in response. Hard to doubt what Lumumba says about this workplace - utterly disrespectful, insular and full of dishonesty and lack of accountability. Reminds me of the Trump administration. Wouldn’t be surprised if players walk out next year. You wouldn’t want to sign a long term deal there, that’s for sure.

I’m not sure how including the bloke from the NGA as part of the argument that Bulldogs ‘smashed it’ is relevant. It was a silver platter-they have done nothing. Not relevant.

I’m not sure how including the bloke from the NGA as part of the argument that Bulldogs ‘smashed it’ is relevant. It was a silver platter-they have done nothing. Not relevant.
It’s relevant because it made the pick 14 they traded for Treloar basically worthless to them. So they basically got him for free from their own perspective. Agree they were kissed on the dick with it and dealt a ripper hand but they played the ripper hand to perfection to get even more from it

Conversely the fact the pies may see a bid before that pick 14 for McInnes (which will become pick 17 or so) makes the debacle even worse for them. A 0/10 doesn’t cut it for Collingwood. This was in the negatives

True but the difference I see is that the Pies were aiming for a Premiership and came close.

After circa 15+ years of failures who knows what look at me Dodo is doing but it clearly isn’t aiming for a Premiership!
You are right though I reckon you should take a bigger picture view of things as well
wewill never know how successful essendon could have been if the whole supplements scandal didn’t happen.
to be fair this wasn’t dodoros fault. Though it was pure incompetence from the efc.
i just reckon you need to think about the historical success of your club which is minimal before you criticise other clubs.
essendon is at a low point and I think there is more pain to come but the cycle will turn eventually.
just look at Richmond.
‘in the meantime I can console myself with the fact that I have been at the g and watched my team win 4 premierships in my life
how many have you seen and how many have your club won?
it has been ordinary being an essendon supporter for 15 years and listening to and reading comments from supporters who have experienced much less joy from their club gets a tad annoying. But perspective is everything.
‘hopefully we will get some more good young players and slowly build our list.
‘hopefully your team goes well next year and can win a premiership.
‘perhaps even do so without getting an armchair ride in the grand final from the umpires this time around 🤗

As Billyc said above, flipping pick 14 into a surplus of points as part of the Treloar deal was a masterstroke and is definitely relevant to how Power's work should be rated. A gun NGA prospect can be a blessing and a curse as it limits your options and managing the required points is an additional constraint with every deal you do. Power nailed it perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back