BBL 2020-21 Big Bash League season

Remove this Banner Ad

If games are rained out / don't go ten overs what happens to the bash boost. Teams just get further penalised for a no result relative to everyone else?

Ridiculous gimmicks.

Give yourself an uppercut CA.
I think they're giving 3 for a win now + the bonus point so a N/R would be 2 each.

Just s**t. Looks like crazy mode in a stupid video game

How do these w***ers get jobs at cricket Australia coming up with such nonsense?

The time outs were stupid enough and now you get dumber?! Trying to be AFLX level stupid?

Honestly, if anyone at CA is reading. You need serious help. I'll work for free to fix the stuff your expensive executives keep ******* up

Bonus points have never made the game more interesting in all my time watching cricket.

If you're going to have them in the BBL, award it to the team that hits more sixes in a given match. CA apparently doesn't even understand the appeal of its own product.

Can someone give an example of how the Super sub will work better than it did in ODI's? It was pretty pointless from memory right?

mickey mouse rules.

i'm not sure what they are trying to achieve.

pick your XI and it is what it is .

so eg. scorchers are batting first and flying at 0/100 (10) with s.marsh listed as captain and to bat @ 3.
he subs himself out to put in a 12/13th man - strike bowler yes ??

or eg. stars have their opposition 9/93 (10) yet zampa hasnt had a trundle. replace him with 12/13th man an out and out batsman yes ??

All these rules seem pointless but the 12 to 13 sub rule is the one I dislike the most. I guess it gives something for the commentators to talk about.

I don't see any of these rules adding any extra interest to the game.

All these rules seem pointless but the 12 to 13 sub rule is the one I dislike the most. I guess it gives something for the commentators to talk about.

I don't see any of these rules adding any extra interest to the game.

don't think the rule is there to just give the commentators something to talk about - it's more tactical.

i mean most teams will probably nominate a strike batsman and a strike bowler as their 12th/13th man, so that all bases are covered - let's see how it evolves.

to me, it just seems it puts the more dominant team who gets off to a flyer is in an even more dominant position?

don't we want close and exciting games?

again pick your XI and back them in - that's ya team. it's not as if they couldn't select the 12th and 13th men in the first place.

Bonus points have never made the game more interesting in all my time watching cricket.

If you're going to have them in the BBL, award it to the team that hits more sixes in a given match. CA apparently doesn't even understand the appeal of its own product.
The fact it's a bonus point after 10 overs can only make the chances of a close result less likely surely? Teams chasing a 10 over bonus point ruining the chances of winning the game by going too hard too early is way more likely to happen than to make the game closer?

Reckon they should also allow a super batter - where the batsman can refuse to be out when their stumps are lying on the ground.

Also - a bowler should have the option to bowl at the stumps and the batsman not allowed to hit it - if they hit the stumps the batsman is out (unless they use their super batter status)

Plus - any balls that go for 6 and are caught by the crowd should be out, and if caught using only one hand - the non striker is also out.

Any multiple boundaries in a row shoiuld accumulate like strikes in ten pin bowling. 4,4,4 would actually be score 12,8,4

These new rules are free to use by the BBL and no marketing required. They also make as much sense

might implement these at my annual xmas lunch family backyard match :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well if I ever feel incompetent in my jobs I can feel better knowing that CA have probably spent a decent sum on people to come up with this crap
In a time when they've either reduced the hours or completely removed a heap of their staff. A lot who dealt with actually on field development.

to me, it just seems it puts the more dominant team who gets off to a flyer is in an even more dominant position?

Seems that way to me too.

The team batting first gets off to a flyer and subs out a lower middle order bat for another bowler / all rounder seems like the most likely thing to happen to me making it even harder for the team batting second.

If you are the bowling team I find it unlikely you tactically pull someone after an over. It would help if you had a bowler break down or maybe if you misread the pitch and decide you want the extra spinner after a few overs.

At the end of the day the 12th and 13th players are not going to be much chop anyway so I can see it barely ever being used.

I think the other two changes are going to make the matches more lopsided as well.

Teams going harder earlier in the first four overs powerplay and losing wickets. Multiple early wickets equals game over in T20.

Teams losing wickets trying to chase the bonus point after 10 and costing themselves the match.

Teams losing wickets when they call the 2 overs powerplay in the last 10. Teams are always going to go hard in the last couple of overs so I expect everyone will just call it for the 17th/18th over unless they are already 5/6 down and they will hold it off until the 19th/20th in that situation.

The fact it's a bonus point after 10 overs can only make the chances of a close result less likely surely? Teams chasing a 10 over bonus point ruining the chances of winning the game by going too hard too early is way more likely to happen than to make the game closer?
Has to be, and there's also the increased potential for the team batting first to overdo it early and have the backend of their innings peter out meekly (possibly the main reason they're messing around with the powerplay too).

Thing is though, TV networks have access to extensive data about viewership and ratings which we don't. For all we know, the research might show that a close match has minimal impact on ratings if the first half of the run chase is 'boring'.

BUT, don't forget, all of this is meaningless if teams just play for the win and ignore the bonus point. That seems just as plausible as any scenario.

Seems that way to me too.

The team batting first gets off to a flyer and subs out a lower middle order bat for another bowler / all rounder seems like the most likely thing to happen to me making it even harder for the team batting second.

If you are the bowling team I find it unlikely you tactically pull someone after an over. It would help if you had a bowler break down or maybe if you misread the pitch and decide you want the extra spinner after a few overs.

At the end of the day the 12th and 13th players are not going to be much chop anyway so I can see it barely ever being used.

I think the other two changes are going to make the matches more lopsided as well.

Teams going harder earlier in the first four overs powerplay and losing wickets. Multiple early wickets equals game over in T20.

Teams losing wickets trying to chase the bonus point after 10 and costing themselves the match.

Teams losing wickets when they call the 2 overs powerplay in the last 10. Teams are always going to go hard in the last couple of overs so I expect everyone will just call it for the 17th/18th over unless they are already 5/6 down and they will hold it off until the 19th/20th in that situation.

i think you will find if a team bowling first you cant have bowled an over in the first 10 - so much harder to sub out a player as several times you see 7 bowlers used inside the first 10.

you are right though it will hardly be used if a batting side are 1/198 after their 20 then they will defintely sub out a player who didnt bat for an allrounder type or a strike bowler. so this heavily favours the team batting first.

what about reduced over matches - do the goalposts move for when a player can be subbed ?

Can someone give an example of how the Super sub will work better than it did in ODI's? It was pretty pointless from memory right?

the super sub made even less sense than the AFL version.

They tried it domestic ODI in australia in the 90s. It sucked then. So they brought it into ODI and it sucked there too.

i think you will find if a team bowling first you cant have bowled an over in the first 10 - so much harder to sub out a player as several times you see 7 bowlers used inside the first 10.

I think they are allowed to have bowled one which doesn't give you a lot of room to move so yeah would expect the team batting first to use it a lot more.

well for starters the odi's super sub rule was different because a player could've batted and bowled and then be subbed out.

this new 20/20 rule, they mustn't have taken part in the came come the 10 over mark in the first innings.

both stupid rules.

i don't mind the concussion rule in test cricket though - especially if i player goes down on day 1.

Reckon they should also allow a super batter - where the batsman can refuse to be out when their stumps are lying on the ground.

Also - a bowler should have the option to bowl at the stumps and the batsman not allowed to hit it - if they hit the stumps the batsman is out (unless they use their super batter status)

Plus - any balls that go for 6 and are caught by the crowd should be out, and if caught using only one hand - the non striker is also out.

Any multiple boundaries in a row shoiuld accumulate like strikes in ten pin bowling. 4,4,4 would actually be score 12,8,4

These new rules are free to use by the BBL and no marketing required. They also make as much sense

I actually like the boundaries in a row rule LOL.

Just throwing a couple more out there (Copyright Belnakor, 2020)

1) Multi ball - This one is an obvious enhancement to the current game, at any point in the game the bowling team can wave their arms for a "multiball" which means they have another ball for 1 minute, with the only restriction being you can't bowl two deliveries at the same time. Any sixes hit during this time period remove the extra ball from play.

2) Coach sub - Stealing this from an AFL idea - once per season the coach from the team is allowed to "ultra sub" themselves into the game. They are an additional player who can bat/bowl and can only be used in the last 5 overs of the match, or when the batting team is at least 8 down. This would also make it strategic in who you pick as coach. Who wouldn't love to see Punter padding up for one last roll of the dice in the final as his team is struggling at 8 down, 20 to make off the last two overs? It's a no brainer.

3) One hand, one bounce - a staple of any backyard cricket matches, this would spice things up during the middle overs. I would make a slight tweak, all fielders during the "Power One" time can only use one hand. This allows for a risk vs reward scenario for the batting/bowling team depending on who calls for it.

4) Boundary creep - During the game the boundary moves progressively further in. This means we get more "sixes" and more "lynnsanity" as by the 15th over the boundary is essentially where the circle is. We all know the crowd loves more sixes.

5) Two batters - One Bowler - For one over you are allowed to sub in an additional batter who can swing at the same delivery. This would allow alot of tactics from the two batsman. Do they stand next to each other? in front of each other? The possibilities are limitless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back