Review Winners and Losers of the 2020 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Two top five picks is a high price to pay for any player let alone one unproven at AFL level.
The risk is that their 2021/1 isn't top 5.

Adel, North, Essendon, Freo, Hawks, Swans...it's likely to be top 10 in a stronger draft.

I'd like to think Adel looked at this for P1 if Suns can get to pick 4 (Thilthorpe, McDonald, Hollands, DGB) and then another top 10 in the strong draft next year.

Collingwood and Sydney got the same grade as well... also Melbourne as a C? They lost a 25 year old that's played 18 games for pick 31 how is that not great value?
I was wrong with Melbourne, they should 100% be pushed to a B but I still don't think they addressed their biggest needs. Collingwood and Sydney do receive the same value as Collingwood moved on the right players whereas Sydney moved on Aliir which is the wrong player.

A for Essendon

D for the Bulldogs

Seems legit.

Also if Hawthorn acquiring Hartigan baffles you then I assume you think Frawley, Lake, Gibson and Spanger are still on our list.
He is depth but nothing special. You should give games to youth or tried to pry away a Sam Taylor or just anyone. Hartigan doesn't make you a better side. The Bulldogs didn't address any need which is a negative with so many teams around them on the ladder getting better and just added to what they already had. They will regret not trading Dunkley as he will get even less midfield time and lose even more value. Essendon were looking like a basket case coming into the trade period but won every single deal they were involved in. Got pick 8 for Saad, 7 for Daniher, Caldwell at a good price, Wright & Hind for nothing.

He is depth but nothing special. You should give games to youth or tried to pry away a Sam Taylor or just anyone. Hartigan doesn't make you a better side. The Bulldogs didn't address any need which is a negative with so many teams around them on the ladder getting better and just added to what they already had. They will regret not trading Dunkley as he will get even less midfield time and lose even more value. Essendon were looking like a basket case coming into the trade period but won every single deal they were involved in. Got pick 8 for Saad, 7 for Daniher, Caldwell at a good price, Wright & Hind for nothing.

We didn't recruit Hartigan to make us a better side. We recruited him (for nothing) so Ben McEvoy isn't our number 1 defender next season. Sicily out with an ACL, Frawley retiring. We needed a gorilla defender to help stop the bleeding while Kosi (hopefully) develops.

At face value Bombers did very well but will depend a lot on how 6/7/8 turn out and how Wright/Caldwell go.

The risk is that their 2021/1 isn't top 5.

Adel, North, Essendon, Freo, Hawks, Swans...it's likely to be top 10 in a stronger draft.

I'd like to think Adel looked at this for P1 if Suns can get to pick 4 (Thilthorpe, McDonald, Hollands, DGB) and then another top 10 in the strong draft next year.

Exactly.

Last year the thought was Adelaide had traded for a pick 15+ with the GWS deal for Green.

There's no guarantee that the pick is top 5, it could end up 10+ easily with Rowell back.

I think we did reasonably well.

Brown's compensation obviously wasn't ideal.

But we also received a top 30 pick for a 33 year old.

And key, we didn't weaken our draft hand and still brought in 3 young players in Stephenson, Young and Atu.

Take 2,11,30,39 to the draft.

Brown will be pretty quickly replaced in the long term if McDonald or Thilthorpe slot into his position in the next month.

I think Getting Stephenson essentially for Ben Brown is a damn good deal for North.

You have a very strong draft hand too, I probably wouldn't downgrade your pick 2 myself which has been suggested around the place.

]

I know GC do some stupid trade deals at times but that would take the cake.
Remember that 2nd round picks are irrelevant to them as they have too many on their list and can just add academy players without picks.

So from GC's perspective, it's 2 for 5, 2021/1 (maybe 10ish).

Remember that 2nd round picks are irrelevant to them as they have too many on their list and can just add academy players without picks.

So from GC's perspective, it's 2 for 5, 2021/1 (maybe 10ish).

But they can trade those R2s for future picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dogs ended up getting Treloar for an effective second rounder. Was the smart move to go for your future first over Collingwood’s.
If Dogs entertained it, that could be a possibility. Collingwood give us their future first. We give them ours.
Anyway, it is what it is. I don't believe they ever actually intended to trade Dunkley.

Some of my ratings and thoughts:

Dogs - 10/10 (Kept Dunkley and got Treloar for a packet of chips. Also have the picks for JUH)
Dees - 10/10 (Brown for a 2nd rounder, steal of the trade period IMO)
Pies - 1/10 (Hope De Goey is worth it...)
Bombers - 6/10 (Didn't get Dunks but got a good pick for Saady and Caldwell could be a gun)
GWS - 8/10 (Lost Cameron but 3 first rounders for him woweeeeeeeee)
Geelong - Can't rate them yet, if they win a flag it'll be justified but can't see the benefit of 3 firsts for Cameron.
Bris - 7/10 (All based on Daniher's output I guess, he's a good acquisition for them for sure)

Expected a bit more from Port.

Depends. If the kid they think will be pick 2 has said he would love to play in QLD it means they dont keep pick 5 for 2 years then lose them to VIC or SA for bugger all.

A pretty big "if" that could also apply to the pick 5 and next years pick 5/10. Pick 5 and a 2021 pick in the mid teens would be a better deal for the Suns

At face value Bombers did very well but will depend a lot on how 6/7/8 turn out and how Wright/Caldwell go.
7 and 8 look good on paper but draft picks are way overrated.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out for them but with their picks for Saad and Daniher, they have to find players the equivalent for each of them to just break even.

Caldwell looks good value as he was a 1st rounder with 2 years of development.

I don't know enough about Wright.

They could offer it to clubs before they get it though, and then it's not devalued, because they'd only get it on the proviso that a club makes them a suitable offer for it.

"Make us a suitable offer for it and we'll get it for you". Even make it a 3-way trade to make sure of it.

Which they may have tried of course.

You’ve been salty on the dogs since 2016 😎

Which isn't to dissimilar to GWS' trade last year for a 2 pick upgrade. They traded pick 6 & 9 in the end to Adelaide for pick 4 to get Ash.
in fairness, GWS had just lost the Grand Final and it was a very lucky thing for Adelaide that GWS imploded somewhat this year and finished outside the top 8. It could also easily have been 4 for 6 + pick 16-18 (2020)
And its massively misrepresenting GWS's position last year. GWS were never going to be in a position to use pick 6 on anything but matching a bid on Tom Green.

So the end result is GWS swapped Lachie Ash last year, for whoever they could've taken with pick 9 this season. With the added lottery of the draft this season thanks to lack of exposed form, looks like a brilliant end result for GWS. And it worked out for the Crows this year because they only gave up the chance of selecting Ash or Stephens for what has turned into pick 9 this year.

Geelong - Can't rate them yet, if they win a flag it'll be justified but can't see the benefit of 3 firsts for Cameron.
Just remember that yes Geelong gave up 3 firsts, but they received 2 future 2nds in return

The total sum of points for those firsts (13, 15 & 20) is 3236 and if we use 2020's ladder positions for the future 2nds, they would be picks 24 & 27 equaling 1488 points.

The discrepancy is 1748 points, equal to pick 6 (1751) in the draft. I know its not the best metric, but you need to look at the whole trade package.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out for them but with their picks for Saad and Daniher, they have to find players the equivalent for each of them to just break even.
Pick 7 and 8 for Daniher and Saad is a massive win for Essendon. Daniher is a player who couldn't even get on the park and Adam Saad has been massively overrated. He's not much better than the player that Essendon paid a second round pick for.

Just remember that yes Geelong gave up 3 firsts, but they received 2 future 2nds in return

The total sum of points for those firsts (13, 15 & 20) is 3236 and if we use 2020's ladder positions for the future 2nds, they would be picks 24 & 27 equaling 1488 points.

The discrepancy is 1748 points, equal to pick 6 (1751) in the draft. I know its not the best metric, but you need to look at the whole trade package.
Points are the most useless metric unless your club is looking at an Academy or Father/Son prospect. And with the changes to no matching first round bids its an even worse metric.

This isn't really true though. We did OK out of a s**t situation to get currency to at least give us a chance at some long term best-22 players. That's about all you can do in that situation.

Daniher's on-field input in the last few years isn't difficult to replace, but talent-wise we're not going to replace what he once might have been.

Saad is the biggest on-field loss of the departures, but we're not going to draft a player like that at any of our selections. Mostly it seems there's a potential couple of KPD / utility types, or medium sized midfielders, around the mark for those picks in the phantom drafts.

Dodoros incompetence is consistently hilarious.
Then along comes #Collingwood2020tradeperiod
:(
i think yours looks worse, whilst ours was worse.

We lost 4x best 22 players.
At their very best (i.e 2017) Daniher & Fantasia were our best.
104 goals in 2017 from the two of them.
Only really works out well if the two continue to breakdown...but i hope not.

Saad & McKenna should have been sitting on our HBF for the next 4 seasons....now we have no one.
And doubt there is a MSD next year where Conor can come back to us.

Phillips was borderline & there appears to be issues with professionalism from Stephenson
Treloar hurts. He's a gun.

We can only hope Wright can clunk a mark from up high given the way we enter the 22.
And Caldwell is as good as GWS make him out to be.
And we draft proper for once. 6, 7 & 8 really need to be our Rozee, Butters & Duursma moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back