List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Roughead is contracted beyond next season. You think Cox and JT are going to stay on? No chance I would have thought.
Didn't we just give Cox an extension until end of 2022 in order to reduce his 2021 salary? Or was that just talk that never actually occurred?

I wonder in that Age article whether it is too much to read into what wasn’t said.

Apparently during Essendon’s picks, Hine was worried they might take Henry, moreso than bid on Reef or take Cox, who presumably would fit a need for us. He also said that Zac Reid was a good selection for them... does that mean we didn’t rate Cox?

It might be a bit far fetched, after all, there was conjecture over who we should pick out of Henry and Macrae when it eventually came to our pick...

I must say though; Cox’s video clips brought to mind Noah Balta moreso than a genuine KPP.

I wonder in that Age article whether it is too much to read into what wasn’t said.

Apparently during Essendon’s picks, Hine was worried they might take Henry, moreso than bid on Reef or take Cox, who presumably would fit a need for us. He also said that Zac Reid was a good selection for them... does that mean we didn’t rate Cox?

It might be a bit far fetched, after all, there was conjecture over who we should pick out of Henry and Macrae when it eventually came to our pick...

I must say though; Cox’s video clips brought to mind Noah Balta moreso than a genuine KPP.

Cox and Reid looked very Skinny and I guess the worry about those 2 will there ever get big enough to play as a KPP or more 3rd Tall Flanker/Winger type

Guess you could take out of it is we Rated Henry Higher then Reef.

Well we don't not get an answer about IF we rated Cox or Reid

Anyone done a rolling analysis on the clubs and their past drafting? Graded them and worked out who is the best?

Or do we just let premierships do the talking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'd be an incredibly complex and I'd suggest impossible task.

Games played is the most common objective metric used to judge the success of particular draft choices, but that really pushes up the stats for the s**t teams - they get higher draft picks and these draftees have easier opportunities to break into the team. It also discriminates against teams who recruit well through non-draft methods - as it means there are less games available for draftees. Plus games played doesn't say anything about the quality of those games.

Then you've got to factor in how much of the success is good development of players and how much is the choice on draft night.

When it comes to Premiership success, even then you've got to factor in the extent that coaching, game plan and just plain luck impacted, as well as player development.

My simplistic view is that teams who have regularly been in the top half (and we're one of them) have recruited better than the teams who are regularly in the bottom half.

Personally, I think that drafting and general recruiting has played a massive role in the Hawks and Tiges recent eras of success. But not so much becasue they have been great at picking players, but because they had a very clear view of how they wanted to play and targetted the skillsets that would work well in their style of play. eg. Hawks prioritized kicking and the Tiges prioritized pace and were able to make some pretty middle of the road players be able to contribute significantly to their flags. I think successfully predicting a game style that would be successful and recruiting for it is what separated them from the pack. Or in other words, I think that having strong cohesion between recruiting and coaching is what worked for them.

Last edited:

I read the Cox comment the same way as you originally, but I think it is too much to read into what wasn't said, as I daresay most of what was said hasn't been printed and thus we have no idea what wasn't said.

Cox and Reid looked very Skinny and I guess the worry about those 2 will there ever get big enough to play as a KPP or more 3rd Tall Flanker/Winger type

Guess you could take out of it is we Rated Henry Higher then Reef.

Well we don't not get an answer about IF we rated Cox or Reid
Cox is a player that could go either of two ways

He's an athlete.. Mark Blicavs is probably the best "athlete" type player and he's probably had one genuine great year, Rhys Stanley is the same but is one of the worst big men in the comp.

Theres also Jesse White..

Cox is a player that could go either of two ways

He's an athlete.. Mark Blicavs is probably the best "athlete" type player and he's probably had one genuine great year, Rhys Stanley is the same but is one of the worst big men in the comp.

Theres also Jesse White..
Not sure why you’re referring to Cox as just an athlete. He’s one of the best dual sided players I’ve seen come through at that height. Like, Sam Mitchell level dual sided. And he knows how to play, his dad played AFL, he’s been brought up on the game. The fact that he’s also a freak athlete for his height is just a bonus.

Not sure why you’re referring to Cox as just an athlete. He’s one of the best dual sided players I’ve seen come through at that height. Like, Sam Mitchell level dual sided. And he knows how to play, his dad played AFL, he’s been brought up on the game. The fact that he’s also a freak athlete for his height is just a bonus.
They're their own worst enemy's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm happy that the pies got someone genuinely tall, although i still dont understand the theory of list management. We have a couple of players who might take a contested mark in the forward line, but we have half the list who could do a job in the midfield - i know that's exaggerating a little. And this is done at a time when contested marks in the forward line are like gold nuggets. I dont understand it. I noticed that essendon definitely dont feel the same about talls. I hope we're right. I also noticed that we were going for an indigenous guy but got cut off at the pass.... I think it's pretty clear that we're not going to embrace what richmond has done with their indigenous crew. I hope we're right. I keep wondering if there were NBA teams 50 years ago who swore against drafting black guys, and where are those teams now... and finally, i've seen a lot of back slapping and i have no idea why. We might find out that none of them can play.
You have no idea why? After every commentator in the land has said we’ve done v well from the draft, brought in a large batch of top end talent and Hine hardly put a foot wrong with the hand he had? These are people that have been monitoring these boys for the last 3-4 years, so know what we’ve got... even if there is some ‘wait and see’ to find out the full potential of each one of them.
Don’t forget every phantom draft had us getting Reef and one other top 20 player. Which would’ve meant we kept next years first, which is waisted with Nick Daicos a father / son.

I agree that talls are still a worry, as Roughead is done, and Cox is no certainty.... and no spring chicken. But marks in the fwd fifty are still easier on a lead, rather than beating 2 - 3 tall defenders, in which case bringing the ball to ground (in a position of advantage / threat) is just as important as contested marks. Cox can do both, as can Cameron, just need them to do it more often. Brody and De Goey also v good contested marks, whilst JDG can do it all.
Having 12 midfielders is the modern game now... if you can’t win it, get it out of your back fifty, cover ground, spread, defend fast ball movement, and deliver it into your forward fifty, and have them contribute with goals, you’re nowhere.
Pendles and Sidey will go backwards now, and with Treloar out the door, we needed 3 mids to replace them. Last years picks slow and no certainty, so was time to load up on quality in the guts THAT WERE AVAILABLE from pick 16 onwards.
Henry I think will end up playing mid / forward in a JDG / Stevie J / type capacity. Buckenara had him ranked ahead of Hollands and Phillips, as the best sub 190com player in the draft. Silky.

back to talls and I dare say Hine would’ve loved Cox or Reid, and especially McDonald or barass.. but no one wanted to trade their top 10 picks.

we’ve supposedly got cap space now though, so time to go hard on Naughton or McDonald or Ben king in the next 2 -3 year window, to fix this. V hard obviously, but this is our bed now. I quite like the look of McMahon though, and has all the attributes for the modern game. If you’re saying why didn’t we at least look at Ben Brown or Callow / Baldwin in the rookie draft though, I agree.
You need 5 genuine, high quality, versatile talls these days, for the traditional spine. We have two in Moore and Grundy, with Cox sometimes proving valuable as a third, and high hopes on Kelly as another, and now potentially McMahon. Cameron and Keane backups that need to come through, whilst poaching another gun tall would obv make things a lot easier.

on the indigenous boys, they obv have to be quality... and we did try with Coleman AND also Jetta in the off season. So implying that the club is racist in drafting is stupid. There can’t be 18 Charlie Camerons / Liam Ryans. But have no doubt the club would love to have one. Please don’t forget that Bucks grew up in Darwin, loved playing with indigenous players, and had an indigenous gf when he came to Melbourne...

BTW, as it is, dont think anyone will get close to Suns midfield in 2-3 years time, so that’s what we’ll have to contend with if we want to challenge for a flag. Then obv stopping king, Day and Lukosius at either end.

Last edited:
'They would trade their future first, with Daicos in mind, in a deal with Greater Western Sydney that was – unbeknownst to the broadcasters and other clubs – initially blocked by the AFL and which led to GWS bidding on McInnes to get the swap done. '

I was wondering this draft night, why they bid on Reef then traded their pick and wondered why we didn't jus trade for their pick in the first place before the Reef bid. Why would the AFL have blocked it?

Here is the AFL.com.au Draft Coverage in Full

Remove this Banner Ad

Back