List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

This year. He's currently training with Melbourne in the hope of getting picked up in the SPP. They have two spots left on their list to fill.

I saw Jeff Farmer at our church's Christmas concert in Mandurah today. Wanted to ask him about Kobe, but chickened out. Haha.

Has anyone already started a thread on the prospects for the 2021 draft, including outside the NGA?

Would be great to have a pair of Serongs in the side.

Also: judging by this list I put the odds of drafting someone called Josh/Joshua or Lachlin/Lochlin/Lockylynne at 2 to 1.

Has anyone already started a thread on the prospects for the 2021 draft, including outside the NGA?

Would be great to have a pair of Serongs in the side.

Also: judging by this list I put the odds of drafting someone called Josh/Joshua or Lachlin/Lochlin/Lockylynne at 2 to 1.

* this makes me cringe.

Anyway, which WA tall are we fixating on this year? Jacob Van Rooyen?

fu** this makes me cringe.

Anyway, which WA tall are we fixating on this year? Jacob Van Rooyen?

Probably, although that will be balanced up by "start of the year" No.1 pick Jason Horne being a dockers fan and a call for us to bring in "our own" (as ridiculous as that will be). Van Rooyen is undersized in terms of key position forwards at the moment anyway, measuring in at only 194cm you would think unless he can replicate a Logan McDonald year in the WAFL seniors he is destined to fall down the order, only for us to get upset when he gets overlooked by us.

This draft at a national level is dominated by top quality midfield prospects at the top end and few good ruck / forward choices. Names to watch out for in this regard are:
  • Jason Horne (South Australia)
  • Josh Rachele (Vic Country)
  • Josh Sinn (Vic Metro)
  • Tyler Sonsie (Vic Metro)
  • Sam Banks (Tasmania)
  • Matthew Johnson (Western Australia)
If we lost Adam Cerra (hopefully not) then I would want one of these guys above in return (They are probably all tracking equal if not better than Cerra at the same kind of time period).

Also watch a lot of the media salivate over Josh Daicos (also a midfielder) who is a F/S for Collingwood.

WA probably has the best talls (Van Rooyen and Bazzo at either end) but saying that whether they project as quality AFL level material is another thing; they are certainly not ideal in terms of what recruiters are looking for athletically (ie. not 200cm players that can ruck, lead out at sub 3 seconds for 20m and do massive jumps) but they have been okay footballing wise to date. The other notable tall for mine is Alex Lukic (Vic Metro) who is very fast and I would have had him last year as a better prospect than Van Rooyen, but obviously he hasn't had the chance to show his wares for a bit. It wouldn't surprise me though if these players were all taken after pick 10. Taking state bias out of it I would probably prefer Lukic over Van Rooyen at this stage even though Van Rooyen has been preferred over him for the national academy.

Probably, although that will be balanced up by "start of the year" No.1 pick Jason Horne being a dockers fan and a call for us to bring in "our own" (as ridiculous as that will be). Van Rooyen is undersized in terms of key position forwards at the moment anyway, measuring in at only 194cm you would think unless he can replicate a Logan McDonald year in the WAFL seniors he is destined to fall down the order, only for us to get upset when he gets overlooked by us.

This draft at a national level is dominated by top quality midfield prospects at the top end and few good ruck / forward choices. Names to watch out for in this regard are:
  • Jason Horne (South Australia)
  • Josh Rachele (Vic Country)
  • Josh Sinn (Vic Metro)
  • Tyler Sonsie (Vic Metro)
  • Sam Banks (Tasmania)
  • Matthew Johnson (Western Australia)
If we lost Adam Cerra (hopefully not) then I would want one of these guys above in return (They are probably all tracking equal if not better than Cerra at the same kind of time period).

Also watch a lot of the media salivate over Josh Daicos (also a midfielder) who is a F/S for Collingwood.

WA probably has the best talls (Van Rooyen and Bazzo at either end) but saying that whether they project as quality AFL level material is another thing; they are certainly not ideal in terms of what recruiters are looking for athletically (ie. not 200cm players that can ruck, lead out at sub 3 seconds for 20m and do massive jumps) but they have been okay footballing wise to date. The other notable tall for mine is Alex Lukic (Vic Metro) who is very fast and I would have had him last year as a better prospect than Van Rooyen, but obviously he hasn't had the chance to show his wares for a bit. It wouldn't surprise me though if these players were all taken after pick 10. Taking state bias out of it I would probably prefer Lukic over Van Rooyen at this stage even though Van Rooyen has been preferred over him for the national academy.
Four goals up forward for Bazzo. Do you see that as a realistic move for him?

Also, you mentioned ruck/forwards; who are you liking, and what kind of draft range?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four goals up forward for Bazzo. Do you see that as a realistic move for him?

Also, you mentioned ruck/forwards; who are you liking, and what kind of draft range?

On Bazzo - yes I do actually; could be a good forward.

On ruck / forwards; I don't like anyone at this stage; whilst it is a need for our club I am not sure that this is the draft to chase one.

May as well rip the bandaid off with this one...

So this is the Freo and Fyfe fan, who we won't be drafting because he'll be pick #1 this year, getting 31 disposals and 3 goals in SANFL as a bottom ager to win the MVP for the round last year. He's ok I suppose :rolleyes:

And here's his league debut game.

So this is the Freo and Fyfe fan, who we won't be drafting because he'll be pick #1 this year, getting 31 disposals and 3 goals in SANFL as a bottom ager to win the MVP for the round last year. He's ok I suppose :rolleyes:

not even going to look. Like going on realestate.com to look at houses I'll never be able to afford.

The Geelong kit just adds to the image of him being the next player like GAJ

not even going to look. Like going on realestate.com to look at houses I'll never be able to afford.
Except you know this is that house that everyone is going to be talking about a lot and asking you over and over again if you've seen it.

"Yes I had a look a few weeks ago, very nice. Now we're done with that can we look at some more in my price range?"

Except you know this is that house that everyone is going to be talking about a lot and asking you over and over again if you've seen it.

"Yes I had a look a few weeks ago, very nice. Now we're done with that can we look at some more in my price range?"
or you develop that weird justification like, if we continue to injure our players at the current rate, we should end up bottom of the ladder with some Peel players from the MSD getting smashed week after week. Maybe he will be ours...bring on November

that second goal he kicks is a bit special. He won't get that much space in the big time but damn he's got some moves.

‘Confidence and swagger’: Nick Daicos wows recruiters in VFL debut
Daniel Cherny
By Daniel Cherny

March 22, 2021

Potential No. 1 pick Nick Daicos has been likened to Greater Western Sydney star Lachie Whitfield after the Collingwood father-son prospect made an impressive debut for the Pies in a VFL practice match on Friday.

Daicos, the son of Magpies great Peter and younger brother of current Pie Josh, is set to be one of the first players taken in the national draft later this year, with a club to force Collingwood’s hand with a bid on the mid-size youngster inside the first handful of selections.

Having not played last season because of the shutdown of junior football in Victoria, teen Daicos lined up for the Pies’ reserves against Footscray, wowing rival club recruiters.

The Age spoke to several recruiters about Daicos, who agreed to share their thoughts on the condition of anonymity.

“The other day, I was super impressed. The confidence and swagger. You’ve got to remember, that would have been the first time he’s ever played a senior match. He’s only ever played school footy and juniors as far as I know. By 20 minutes in he’s taking the kick-outs, he’s baulking blokes out of half-back. Clearly he’s got the skills, but it was more that he’s got a lot more speed than his brother as well. I haven’t seen a 17-year-old kid play with that sort of swagger for a long time,” one recruiter said.

The recruiter compared Daicos to Giant Whitfield, the No. 1 draft pick in 2012 and an All-Australian in 2018.

“He’s played half-back at school and he looked pretty good there the other day. I sort of look at Lachie Whitfield. He was probably a bit similar coming through. He probably doesn’t have the elite endurance of Lachie but just his skills and run, and Lachie’s obviously looked pretty good off half-back, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts there and ends up maybe on a wing,” the recruiter said.

The recruiter added that Daicos would be close to getting a game for Collingwood’s senior side now if he was eligible, and that he would also handle the triple-fronted pressure of being an early draft pick with a famous name at a big club.

“He’d be in the mix [for Collingwood’s team now]. On that game, there was a lot of AFL guys playing and in the first half I would have had him in the top few on the ground. He fell out of it a little bit, but he’d be close,” the recruiter said.

“Knowing his personality, I think he’s the type of person that [the pressure] won’t bother him. He sort of plays like he almost enjoys that.

“There hasn’t been any player in the pool that’s been able to do that at this stage, so he’d have to be right up there. If he’s not one he’s going to be two or three [in the draft].”

Another recruiter said Daicos had “elite game IQ”.

“His ball use and vision [is] in the top echelon of any junior through the last few years,” the recruiter said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back