Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

been that way forever. Cynical, vocal, negative nancies who seem to thrive on bad news.

If McAsey was a fifth year player not performing then the criticism might be fair.

He’s been in the system a little over 12 months. Be realistic. Talia wasn’t ready to debut until round 15 in his 2nd year at the club, Doedee at the start of his 3rd year, has it held either of them back long term?

Hysterical nonsense from people writing him off at this point. I don’t care what he’s doing in game 1-10, I care what he’s doing in game 50-250. Give the kid time. It’s not his fault the club have cleared out so much experience meaning we’ll probably have to use him this year, even if he might not be 100% ready.

If McAsey was a fifth year player not performing then the criticism might be fair.

He’s been in the system a little over 12 months. Be realistic. Talia wasn’t ready to debut until round 15 in his 2nd year at the club, Doedee at the start of his 3rd year, has it held either of them back long term?

Hysterical nonsense from people writing him off at this point. I don’t care what he’s doing in game 1-10, I care what he’s doing in game 50-250. Give the kid time. It’s not his fault the club have cleared out so much experience meaning we’ll probably have to use him this year, even if he might not be 100% ready.
Agreed, my only concern is that it’s not knocking his confidence around, if so that would be his biggest obstacle

Good to see we still have a limited eye to the future and will be prioritizing a 30-year-old that definitely won't be part of our next premiership.

I expect the same to apply to Mackay who will play over a guy like Hamill because Hamill won't be at the level to push out a 200 game veteran

Good to see we still have a limited eye to the future and will be prioritizing a 30-year-old that definitely won't be part of our next premiership.

I expect the same to apply to Mackay who will play over a guy like Hamill because Hamill won't be at the level to push out a 200 game veteran
Nicks comes off like a bit of a w***er here if I'm being honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing too shocking here, Tex has been our best performing forward thus pre season. Suggests that he will be managed at stages though which is good. Also says nothing about whether Thilthorpe plays round one.
I think his comments might apply more to Fog than Thilthorpe

I think you've missed the point significantly

I wouldn't bother. Just get him right for round 1. Might as well give Berry a go in the midfield and see how that pans out.
Hoping Pedlar & Berry .....Pedlar is going to be one heck of a player ...... Garry McIntosh Mk2

Why ??

In theory the premise is sound. If Walker keeps his form up we all know he's good enough to keep everyone else out. To me he's pushing Tex to perform or he'll miss out.
Because he's talking about not gifting games to the kids when that's exactly what he's been doing with our senior players, Tex included. He just allowed Sloane to retain the captaincy despite his form being absolutely putrid so any talk of meritocracy rings hollow.

I think you've missed the point significantly

Nicks is quoted as saying:

"If a younger player who is 18 is good enough to push Tex out, then goodness me we’d be silly not to play that kid. At the moment that’s not happening."

"We’re not going to gift games, they have got to earn their spot."

So we're not going to "gift" games to young players who may not be at the same level as a veteran player right now, even if they have potential and talent. We will pick whoever is performing at the time and have no eye for the future

Door Opens for Mitch Hinge, who played well on the weekend

View attachment 1068160

43iv8l.jpg

Nicks is quoted as saying:

"If a younger player who is 18 is good enough to push Tex out, then goodness me we’d be silly not to play that kid. At the moment that’s not happening."

"We’re not going to gift games, they have got to earn their spot."

So we're not going to "gift" games to young players who may not be at the same level as a veteran player right now, even if they have potential and talent. We will pick whoever is performing at the time and have no eye for the future
I don't think that was strictly pointed at Walker.

We'll play youth at the expense of anyone. If Tex is playing to his best then he actually helps the young kids in the side.

Because he's talking about not gifting games to the kids when that's exactly what he's been doing with our senior players, Tex included. He just allowed Sloane to retain the captaincy despite his form being absolutely putrid so any talk of meritocracy rings hollow.
Sloane's form toward the back half wasnt putrid, he's just not what he was.

Imagine being Thilthorpe and hearing this s**t after you've just kicked for goals in the reserves. Way to kill a guys motivation Nicksy you bald headed stooge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back