Autopsy Round 1, 2021: Hawthorn defeat Bombers in a 40pt turnaround!

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how they are complaining infinitely louder than Conner himself.:)
It wouldn't matter if Downie hated it. There's no way someone in his shoes is giving the slightest indication that it was anything but a positive experience. He has to keep a 'team first' attitude.

He was never going to say to Clarko, "Thanks, but no thanks. I'll wait until you're ready to start me in the 22". We'd probably never see him again!

And with how the rule is he couldn't have suggested that he would have liked to be brought on late as that would be either advocating for a teammate copping an injury or his club to intentionally break the sub rules.

Makes perfect sense for the media commentary, particularly the former players, to voice this on his behalf. And even if Downie genuinely doesn't give a rats, I'm sure there's plenty of other potential debutants in the AFL who would.

Anyway, I'm sure Downie will get his chance very soon and in 10 years time he'll look back and remember both his on-paper debut and his on-field debut fondly.

Thing I've noticed is that the captain always seems to sit centre back of the room. And newbies front row.

Be interesting to know if that's intentional or just the natural social dynamics.
There is belief that those in the audience “triangle” front row back to centre of the back row get more value from the speaker because more eye contact is made.

Hahaha!
Brown needs to stfu and so do the rest of the loudmouths *Edit: in the media; yes...THAT was classed as his debut game. So what?
I'm sure Conner is stoked for the TEAM. There is NO CONNER in TEAM!! It would have taken someone getting hurt to get him on the ground, you can be certain neither he or the team 'wanted' that. It was great that Cegs called him in for the song. These pricks still don't get it...we're a happy team at Hawthorn

Last edited:
If you don’t enter the arena as an active player there is no way that should count as a game played. Hope common sense prevails and all medical subs not activated in a particular game don’t receive a game played on their CV. As far as I am concerned Connor is yet to debut.

A minor point but if this counts as a game, then the career averages of any sub will be impacted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily, Frost, Hardwick, DGB, CJ, Scrimshaw, Greaves, Impey and Day. That's definitely got the makings of one of the league's best defences.

Almost feels like one too many when they're all healthy. Some are missing out, or Impey/Day might have to move into forward/wing respectively (not ideal after seeing them dominate in defence v Essendon).

I've always been intrigued by what would happen if part of the match report (or even in game stats) included the three umpires and how many free kicks they'd paid each way... obviously it could open all kinds of worms and some umps could get misrepresented by genuine circumstances... but geez it would be interesting - I wonder if it would lead to a bit more opening of the eyes, or tucking away the whistle when they have a quick review at half time ;)
Don't need to say how many frees each way but just their stats. Stuffed bounces, missed frees, incorrect frees, correct frees etc.

The amount of times we caught Essendon cold htb for no call only for us to be pinged red hot 10 seconds later was infuriating.

Not enough Day love on this thread. The most exciting thing about that game was watching him nail kick after kick out defence all night. No coincidence that he was the one that hit Mitchell up in the match winning play and then finally iced it with a perfect kick to touch which kositschke clunked. The kid has star written all over him.

He actually raised this himself in the coverage. Was pretty funny. Doesn’t absolve him of his terrible commentary though 😂

Must have missed that, I remember hearing about his first game a while ago - did a bit of a search on who else got donuts in their first game of AFL footy and as it turns out Kade Simpson had 3 games in a row of donuts.

1616446769582.png

Must have missed that, I remember hearing about his first game a while ago - did a bit of a search on who else got donuts in their first game of AFL footy and as it turns out Kade Simpson had 3 games in a row of donuts.

View attachment 1083806
Could not have predicted his career based off of that start! 😮

Didn't Kade Simpson go three or four games without getting a touch when he started?

Also - though it's hard to put stock in them, it's interesting to see what Champion Data rates as a good game. Here's the rundown from Hawks v Essendon. Will Day, Dylan Moore (over 10 in the third quarter) and Harry Morrison all logged career best games - Sam Frost logged a score over 20 which is genuinely elite.

1616448066854.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back