Banter TRTT Part 12: Get Your Bowels Checked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been ambivalent about Metallica for a while but heard a story a couple of weeks ago that warmed my old heart. Brian Tattler of DiamondHead told a story on a podcast about when they released their first album they sold a few copies to friends, family and their very small fanbase and 1 copy to a fan in the States. Turns out the American fan was a 16 yr old Lars Ulrich, pre Metallica. Lars sends them a letter saying he’s coming to England to see them, borrows $1000 from his Dad & ends up seeing a show of theirs in a small club. Stuck for accommodation 17yr old Lars spends a week living in Brian’s parents house, then a few weeks in the drummer’s parents house hanging out with the band. Goes back to America, starts Metallica, the rest is history. Lars made sure they included DiamondHead covers on EPs to repay the favour, all the DiamondHead guys were able to buy houses from the royalties despite having a terrible licensing deal, have been included on Metallica shows when in England & made enough money to re-record their debut album last year with much better production. DiamondHead weren’t a big band by any account back in 1980, just caught the ear of a young fan who got a flexi disc off a magazine.
I reckon the guys from Budgie probably made more coin off Metallica covering their songs than any album sales of their own as well, Lars was/is a true fanatical music fan he had massive drive, dedication & love for the scene he was into.

Have been ambivalent about Metallica for a while but heard a story a couple of weeks ago that warmed my old heart. Brian Tattler of DiamondHead told a story on a podcast about when they released their first album they sold a few copies to friends, family and their very small fanbase and 1 copy to a fan in the States. Turns out the American fan was a 16 yr old Lars Ulrich, pre Metallica. Lars sends them a letter saying he’s coming to England to see them, borrows $1000 from his Dad & ends up seeing a show of theirs in a small club. Stuck for accommodation 17yr old Lars spends a week living in Brian’s parents house, then a few weeks in the drummer’s parents house hanging out with the band. Goes back to America, starts Metallica, the rest is history. Lars made sure they included DiamondHead covers on EPs to repay the favour, all the DiamondHead guys were able to buy houses from the royalties despite having a terrible licensing deal, have been included on Metallica shows when in England & made enough money to re-record their debut album last year with much better production. DiamondHead weren’t a big band by any account back in 1980, just caught the ear of a young fan who got a flexi disc off a magazine.
Diamondhead were fantastic

They allowed this sh*t to be thing

Man I've seen that live.

There was a festival that came to Darwin and that campaigner was playing. My excuse for being there was a mate of a mate was in 28 Days who were also playing.

That Wasabi campaigner came on and almost spontaneously every campaigner in the crowd starting pinging the free water bottles we'd been given at him. Hundreds and hundreds of 600ml Mount Franklin bottles at a time. He was running around like a lunatic dodging them. I think it was the bass player that got sconned on the melon which forced them to stop playing and plea to the crowd to stop.

******* funny day.

Bass in the Grass[edit]
Lee attended Bass in the Grass in Darwin in 2006. While on stage he was "hit by a barrage of full water bottles hurled at him from all sides".[11]

Thank god for that.

That was it Bass in the Grass.

I said something nice about Lars I think I better lay down.

Someone said Francis Leach was high profile.

I'm driving to the West Gate Bridge and jumping off.

Lyrical genius

I was reminded of this contender for worst lyric ever in the car the other day, courtesy of Soul Asylum.

They say misery
loves company
We could start a company
and make misery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the guys from Budgie probably made more coin off Metallica covering their songs than any album sales of their own as well, Lars was/is a true fanatical music fan he had massive drive, dedication & love for the scene
he was into.

When DiamondHead recorded their debut they swapped a week of studio time for 50% of their royalties for 15 yrs, not imagining they’d make any real money. Some old bugger is laughing though.

When DiamondHead recorded their debut they swapped a week of studio time for 50% of their royalties for 15 yrs, not imagining they’d make any real money. Some old bugger is laughing though.
Imagine how many times these music industry crooks did this sort of thing to countless young green artists back in the day.. helps to have one business minded dude in the band.

Imagine how many times these music industry crooks did this sort of thing to countless young green artists back in the day.. helps to have one business minded dude in the band.

By the by, Bill Burr and Joe Rogan have said this shtick is rife with young comedians and podcasts. Kids signing away half their nut and creative control in perpetuity for no real benefit.

The best one I ever heard was John Fogarty getting sued for plagiarism by the ex-Creedence record label exec who said his solo stuff sounded too much like Creedence. He spent 400k on his legal defence.

The best one I ever heard was John Fogarty getting sued for plagiarism by the ex-Creedence record label exec who said his solo stuff sounded too much like Creedence. He spent 400k on his legal defence.

400k so he could make more bland hokey music.

Doesn't seem fair.

I was reminded of this contender for worst lyric ever in the car the other day, courtesy of Soul Asylum.

They say misery
loves company
We could start a company
and make misery

Wasn't the toast ghost lyrics by some *er voted worst ever?

Oh, I get the shivers
I don't want to see a ghost,
It's a sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news

******* kill me.

That seems self-consciously silly though. I think truly bad lyrics need to be sincere.

No mommy, don't do it again
Don't do it again
I'll be a good boy
I'll be a good boy, I promise
No mommy don't hit me
Why did you have to hit me like that, mommy?
Don't do it, you're hurting me
Why did you have to be such a bitch

Why don't you
Why don't you just heck off and die
Why can't you just heck off and die
Why can't you just leave here and die
Never stick your hand in my face again bitch

heck you
I don't need this s**t
You stupid sadistic abusive ******* whore
How would you like to see how it feels mommy
Here it comes, get ready to die