Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the new rule change our need for a big bodied inside mid at all? I feel like Cripps has been shown up by the increased speed of play, and if there's less congestion drafting some manchild to shovel the pill out all day may not be the gamechanger it used to be.

Does the new rule change our need for a big bodied inside mid at all? I feel like Cripps has been shown up by the increased speed of play, and if there's less congestion drafting some manchild to shovel the pill out all day may not be the gamechanger it used to be.

Boak, Wines, Steele, Bontempelli, Dunkley, Oliver, Petracca, Martin are all still killing it. Cripps is struggling cause he's been beat up for years, doesn't really thrive in pressure or physicality and isn't that effective in disposal and Carlton lack the other stars so they can't afford to utilise his size up forward.

Has there ever been a list with as many nothing players as ours?

I mean no disrespect to the guys who Don The Sash but gee whiz we’ve got some guys stealing a wage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlton after losing all their picks?

think we're better off trying to bring in a multitude of B-graders than throwing cash at a big star recruit
most of our list is C, D, E grade right now and bringing in someone like Clayton Oliver isn't enough to turn that around

I mean no disrespect to the guys who Don The Sash but gee whiz we’ve got some guys stealing a wage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fitzroy. The top ups. We have fallen off the cliff. I pity the teams who only get one crack at us. We have actually created a lopsidedness to the competition.

Actually I think the bigger issue is the players not suiting the game plan and vice versa.

And I think we spent too many years prioritising drafting guys who can play multiple positions rather than someone who is elite in one position or aspect of the game.

Actually I think the bigger issue is the players not suiting the game plan and vice versa.

And I think we spent too many years prioritising drafting guys who can play multiple positions rather than someone who is elite in one position or aspect of the game.
Cant think of anyone outside hooker who plays two positions really well
So we failed there too

I don't disagree but I'm fighting the pessimism inside a bit because I think we've corrected the last few drafts. Cox, Jones, Eyre, Bryan, Perkins, Reid, Baldwin plus Caldwell and Hind are all astute selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've lost to Hawthorn by a point in a game we should've won. And Port who are red hot flag chance. Still 20 games to go so bit early to see where we're truly at. We need a goalkicking coach
Results are one thing.
3-4 years of the same issues, no more on display than in that hawks game, it's not that early.
Short of the Roos, i don't see where we get a win. Last time the outlook was this dire was 2016 and we had most our list suspended.

goalkicking, skills, effort, leadership. we need to make a lot of this up
We're also down to a 0 gamer as our sole ruck option, we have no FB (well, we do but he's kicking our goals) and our midfield depth can't cover two injuries.

Results are one thing.
3-4 years of the same issues, no more on display than in that hawks game, it's not that early.
Short of the Roos, i don't see where we get a win. Last time the outlook was this dire was 2016 and we had most our list suspended.

We're also down to a 0 gamer as our sole ruck option, we have no FB (well, we do but he's kicking our goals) and our midfield depth can't cover two injuries.
It is early though, its only round 2. I agree we're bottom 4. Full back and ruck department has been bolstered via the draft. We need mids now.

Results are one thing.

The improvement you want to see doesn't come overnight, that's the problem. Goalkicking will be an issue for a few more years, we've still got a makeshift forward line underpinned by Wright, an undersized Jones and a 32 year old Hooker. Skills will be an issue, we've got a lot of skill-poor footballers on our list because of our drafting and trading over the last few years. Effort, or at least perceived effort, will be an issue this year because our team is full of slight bodied kids who will fade badly the longer the game goes on. Leadership needs to be built, there's a few candidates who might put their hands up as future leaders this year but it won't be something that happens in the early part of the season.

This is going to be a long and tough year, might not be as bad as 2016 but will definitely be a painful year to watch the club if you're expecting wins and competitive performances. But it's the sort of year we need to have if you want to change how things are at the football club, and yes, there have been some slight but noticeable improvements to the gameplan execution and to our team selection so far which gives me confidence that we're going in a different direction to the last three years. Baby steps.

Some key areas I’d like to focus on

- players with good foot skills + defensive nous not leaning too far to either side

- a better mix of size and speed across our 22

- natural leading forwards who present to the ball carrier and don’t just wave their arms wanting the kick long (Kaine Baldwin is exactly the type I’m after so hopefully gets a good run with injury)

- midfielders with good balance between inside and outside. A player like Travis Boak is a good example. Hopefully players 185cm +

- players who excel in drawing in tackles and don’t just want to dispose of the ball as soon as pressure comes their way and that goes for every position on the ground

Last edited:
As unhelpful as this is my guy, chill.

2016 we were turning to guys who'd retired and spent the summer smashing frothies and getting ready* for local footy, as well as others who should have.

This is not a good list but it's not even the worst Essendon one.

*by putting away more beers of course

The improvement you want to see doesn't come overnight, that's the problem. Goalkicking will be an issue for a few more years, we've still got a makeshift forward line underpinned by Wright, an undersized Jones and a 32 year old Hooker. Skills will be an issue, we've got a lot of skill-poor footballers on our list because of our drafting and trading over the last few years. Effort, or at least perceived effort, will be an issue this year because our team is full of slight bodied kids who will fade badly the longer the game goes on. Leadership needs to be built, there's a few candidates who might put their hands up as future leaders this year but it won't be something that happens in the early part of the season.

This is going to be a long and tough year, might not be as bad as 2016 but will definitely be a painful year to watch the club if you're expecting wins and competitive performances. But it's the sort of year we need to have if you want to change how things are at the football club, and yes, there have been some slight but noticeable improvements to the gameplan execution and to our team selection so far which gives me confidence that we're going in a different direction to the last three years. Baby steps.
Overnight no. But it's not like we haven't been waiting for a decade for something else from this club.
List mgmt has been our achilles for some time, and we're going into what is the biggest rebuild of the list since the early 00's with the same team that has failed to deliver year on year.

Hooker (inj. ?)
Zaharakis (inj.)
Hurley (inj.)
Phillips
Ambrose (inj.)
Heppell (inj. ?)
Sheil (inj.)
AMT
Smith
Stewart (inj.)
Stringer
Hind
Merrett
Laverde
Wright
Langford
Parish
Snelling
Francis
Guelfi
Redman
McGrath
Draper (inj.)
Ridley
Caldwell (inj.)

That's 25 players that aren't project players right now. Injuries have thinned it back further, but the group has an injury history that makes our current injury levels expected.

We have some talent, but our list is really thin this year.

Our cupboard is so bare its laughable.

All player over 30 are cooked. Too many perennially injured. Our mid range consists of too many journeyman, role, bit part players.

We need all our unproven kids to come on all once again to be a competitive unit.

Zach Merrett is our only genuine top 50 AFL player and a class above the rest by a fair margin. He's probably the only player on our list that would automatically get a game in our 2000 side, Brisbane flag side, Geelong/Hawthorn teams. etc. We cannot afford to lose him as we'd be seriously rooted.

Pretty bleak. Just hoping for some glimmer throughout the season but even our good decent kids of recent years aren't the A grade game breakers.

All player over 30 are cooked. Too many perennially injured. Our mid range consists of too many journeyman, role, bit part players.

We need all our unproven kids to come on all once again to be a competitive unit.

Zach Merrett is our only genuine top 50 AFL player and a class above the rest by a fair margin. He's probably the only player on our list that would automatically get a game in our 2000 side, Brisbane flag side, Geelong/Hawthorn teams. etc. We cannot afford to lose him as we'd be seriously rooted.

Pretty bleak. Just hoping for some glimmer throughout the season but even our good decent kids of recent years aren't the A grade game breakers.
If you were a new list manager coming in, purely ruthless, who do you re-sign from this considerable list of out of contract players at years end.
Waterman
Phillps
BZT
Ham
Hooker
McBride
Parish
Zaka
Smith
Clarke
Jones
Moz
Stringer
Laverde
Baldwin
Johnson
Gleeson
Redman
Guelfi
Johnson
Cahil
Bryan
Hind
Ambrose
Cutler
Hird
Snelling
Merrett

27 players out of contract.

If you were a new list manager coming in, purely ruthless, who do you re-sign from this considerable list of out of contract players at years end.
Waterman
Phillps
BZT
Ham
Hooker
McBride
Parish
Zaka
Smith
Clarke
Jones
Moz
Stringer
Laverde
Baldwin
Johnson
Gleeson
Redman
Guelfi
Johnson
Cahil
Bryan
Hind
Ambrose
Cutler
Hird
Snelling
Merrett

27 players out of contract.
Cutler
Gleeson
Ambrose
Clarke
Zaka
Hooker
Phillips
Laverde (unless he shows something significant)

Johnson, Ham, Cahill, Hird, Mcbride are young / finding their way. I would expect a few to get another year, but also wouldnt be surprised to see any of them cut. Waterman is a question mark, as he's only been on the list for a couple of weeks.

Moz would want to get himself fit otherwise he would be in danger of getting delisted, has looked in shocking shape whenever he has popped up in footage.

All the rest you'd expect to get offered new deals, whether they take them or not is another story. A few could be trade bait.

This is very hard to disagree with. Maybe Shiel when he is fit and firing but yeah, we are very light on.

This is very hard to disagree with. Maybe Shiel when he is fit and firing but yeah, we are very light on.
I’d argue McGrath and Ridley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back