Review Round 3 = Collingwood 72-73 Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longer Bucks Stays more he Hurts the Club.

Play the Kids as we are not even close to a Flag or even the Finals

Nor are we if we don't, play the kids in development (the twos), we have to accept we ain't winnin it either way, unless we magically and suddenly turn up with a game and structure that suits our strengths to potential.
  • Develop game
  • Develop kids
That's the only positive we got. that's not pessimism just realism mate.

19 games to go to what Doc? The end of Buckley? Is that the magic bullet, no Buckley?

So who replaces him Clarko, Mitchell? What is the carrot that would make them wanna coach here? Where's the incentive?

Look I'm not defending Buckley one iota, but if you're suggesting Nathan's exit will magically make everything right and the next coach takes us to flag then you're sadly mistaken.

In short, it looks likely that the light at the end of the tunnel right now is very very dim and we've just thrown another window out the window. We need to accept that.

Hope like hell that our game is developed differently and luck falls our way - coz we ain't winnin solely on our say so, that's all we got.

A new coach will have a list with a very good but aging top tier, no depth and a lot of speculative kids. Unless some of those kids look the goods in the second half of this year, I'm not sure that our list is a particularly attractive one to take on - if those speculative kids don't make the grade, we're set for a plummet.

Forgot the spoon in 1999 to 2002? It can turnaround quickly under a new coach who knows what they're doing.
Pies have been treading water since 2018 and Buckley is out of ideas, it's obvious when Mayne is a best 22 lock each week.

I don't disagree with that, a turnaround can be quick - with the right coach and game, the question is why would a coach wanna risk their career coming here?

Say you're a Mitchell, would you risk career suicide with the off field bs that this club has dished up? Why would you when there's other options?

Everyone is desperately hoping for the end of Buckley when that won't solve anything anyway, I don't see some magical coach come in and fix everything - there ain't one that's comin here.

A disappointing result for the first game ive attended in years. Hard to know what to make of it, particularly as I haven't watched it back, but its disappointing to see that we for the large part seemed to revert back to that Rd 1 style of football. I'm sure some will say that it was effective, after all we held off a potential top 4 team for 98% of the game. But the truth is the conservative style hamstrung our ability to put the Lions away when we had the ascendancy. Slow ball movement and the unwillingness to take risks ultimately killed us last night.

No doubt that we were the better side last night and that we shot ourselves in the foot with some missed opportunities. There are a bunch of guys who played last night who really let the side down in crucial moments by either not converting or failing to execute basic skills. A lot of the focus for this falls on the younger guys like the Browns, but the lack of impact from senior players is infinitely more frustrating. Sidebottom, DeGoey, Adams, Maynard.. senior players who made such little impact and so many errors.

A good game from Grundy overall, but which still highlighted his two biggest flaws: contested marking and goal kicking. Daicos played well, but I thought lacked composure at times. IQ is really developing well, genuine two way player. Madgen and Brown absolutely terrify me with ball in hand. Whatever they are in the team for, the amount of ball they get should be limited.

Also, what moron decided to keep the roof closed? Awful conditions for a spectator, but what else should I expect from that dump of a stadium. And music being played after a goal is ridiculous at best. I'm there to watch two teams go to war.. Taylor Swift over the PA kind of ruins that.

A new coach will have a list with a very good but aging top tier, no depth and a lot of speculative kids. Unless some of those kids look the goods in the second half of this year, I'm not sure that our list is a particularly attractive one to take on - if those speculative kids don't make the grade, we're set for a plummet.

That's what I see, and yet we've just wasted another window, and everyone wonders why everyone on here is so pissed off. FM I thought that'd be pretty obvious.

That's what I see, and yet we've just wasted another window, and everyone wonders why everyone on here is so pissed off. FM I thought that'd be pretty obvious.

The flipside of what I said is that if we get a good number of those speculative kids kick on - we're back in the ball game very quickly, as we've got a few stars who should still be stars for a while - just got to build a team around them.

The flipside of what I said is that if we get a good number of those speculative kids kick on - we're back in the ball game very quickly, as we've got a few stars who should still be stars for a while - just got to build a team around them.

I gather you're talking about Moore, Deg, Billy, Crisp, Tay and Bruzzy and co agreed that's something to build on - however I'll say look at the opposition. It's not really any better if you look at 'rebuilders' or even middling teams.

So in that, we're again hoping for things to fall our way, instead of bed in a culture of quality game that realizes list potential - like the current prems have for the last 4 years.

Nah, not as 'hopeful' as you are - unless we have a dramatic shift in system.

I gather you're talking about Moore, Deg, Billy, Crisp, Tay and Bruzzy and co agreed that's something to build on - however I'll say look at the opposition. It's not really any better if you look at 'rebuilders' or even middling teams.

So in that, we're again hoping for things to fall our way, instead of bed in a culture of quality game that realizes list potential - like the current prems have for the last 4 years.

Nah, not as 'hopeful' as you are - unless we have a dramatic shift in system.

I think Grundy and Moore are two of the most valuable players in the game and will be for the next 5 years and Adams has become very good.

I don't disagree with that, a turnaround can be quick - with the right coach and game, the question is why would a coach wanna risk their career coming here?

Say you're a Mitchell, would you risk career suicide with the off field bs that this club has dished up? Why would you when there's other options?

Everyone is desperately hoping for the end of Buckley when that won't solve anything anyway, I don't see some magical coach come in and fix everything - there ain't one that's comin here.
Agreeing to coach anywhere is a career risk. Unless youre Nathan Buckley rarely do you start a career at a successful side/club.

Youre generally having to clean up s**t.

We'd be in a better place if our recruiters were competent enough to draft more consistent talent streams.

The whole club from administration to coaching to list management, has been a pile of sh*t for years, and the smell has only been masked by a few good players keeping on-field results somewhat respectable. So we could point to lots of things that have gone wrong.

But you are always going to draft some duds. It's just that when you do, you're supposed to recognise it and cut your losses.

If anyone can say with a straight face that Callum Brown is an AFL-standard footballer, then I can only assume that a) they've never watched a game of football or b) they've had a lobotomy or c) they are a coach at Collingwood, who I can now only assume satisfy point b as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19 games to go to what Doc? The end of Buckley? Is that the magic bullet, no Buckley?

So who replaces him Clarko, Mitchell? What is the carrot that would make them wanna coach here? Where's the incentive?

Look I'm not defending Buckley one iota, but if you're suggesting Nathan's exit will magically make everything right and the next coach takes us to flag then you're sadly mistaken.

In short, it looks likely that the light at the end of the tunnel right now is very very dim and we've just thrown another window out the window. We need to accept that.

Hope like hell that our game is developed differently and luck falls our way - coz we ain't winnin solely on our say so, that's all we got.

sadly CB - many want change for change sake.
Even if Buckley earns an extension there will be howls of protest led by the “2018 was an outlier” brigade.

I disagree. Sort of...

At least we know the footballer he is now. At the level. He is a known quantity.

The question now for the coaches is whether that kind of output justifies selection.

Unfortunately I think as a club we settle too easily for the known when making selection decisions. There is little appetite for risk in our risk v reward equations.

The problem is that when it comes down to it, that kind of output is all we're liikely to get from Cal or a newbie - probably less in terms of defence from a newbie. So to me, it's all about development - what's the kid like - is he one who will develop quicker in the ones, which to me is the Maynard type who is just going to go harder after every error or failure or does his ego require him to develop confidence in the twos - will a game like Henry's set him backwards?

First time posting here.
First thing in evey game someone is going to lose that's life. We played the Lions I know without their best ruckman but we aren't great at Marvel and they are a top four team. Whose list would you rather have? Yet if Callum Brown had kicked that goal, or Mayne had got that free kick, we would be saying great result.
I think Buckley can coach, he is not the greatest coach of all time, but he got to within a kick of a premiership, a kick of another grand final, 3 more top 8 finishes, you don't achieve that if you can't coach.
The biggest problem with our team is the list, and I actually think he has overacheived with this list. Look at how many rookie listed players are in the team. Look at our forward line, our two key forwards are rookies, Thomas is rookie listed, Callum Brown, no other club would want him.
However, I do think he is not maximising one of our areas of strength, which is Grundy. If you see what Nic Nat can do, there is no reason Grundy can't do the same. If tap downs are no advantage, why give your ruckman $1 million a year? Our list management is atrocious, we have blown so many top 10 picks, and that's why we are in the position we are in, not the coach.

Steele Sidebottom..
9 Clangers!
Frees against.
54% Disposal efficiency.
8 Turnovers
1 tackle
Kicks efficiency of 31%.
He is not the elite ball user commentators have been spruiking for years!!
He can't handle a hard tag
Gets blind on scotch during the season, ignores Covid rules, walks naked in the streets..

And we get rid of Treloar...
Steele doesn't cop flak anywhere near what he deserves for his performances. He is the antithesis of CBrown.

WHE
6 Disposals
3 Clangers
1 Tackle
66% disposal efficiency
3 turnovers
Dropped marks.

And we get rid of Stephenson.

Madgen
A Defender, who registered ZERO tackles..
Pretty much the same as Murphy yesterday!!!

C Brown
At least Callum had 6 tackles.. He is the new Blair (without the premiership).

Sidebottom has been an average kick for a long time. Shows how many people watch were the ball goes as opposed to watching a kicking style.

Roughy's best game in a while, was outstanding. Our backline per usual did stand up strong.

Probably the most angry I have been about a game in quite a while.
Hi Jen, I’m with you, we were so in control in first half and should have had won by a mile, we can’t put opp to the sword. In this day of professionals on big $ for C Brown to miss the sitter of a goal which would have won us the game, that is just not good enough, I’m so angry,

Well, the loss was pretty hard to take. But what really pisses me off is that the media has managed to totally demonize CFC over the past few months. And to all those week minded fans in this place that have gone along with it, I hope you are happy.
Just one of the gems I had to endure is this. " Cricket reporter Dennis Freedman tweeted: “Collingwood losing by a point after the siren is God’s gift to humanity.” Really? There are many more today, not just from fans, but journos who should know better.
Time to get some balls CFC and show the sheep who really rules the flock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back