Autopsy Autopsy vs Crows - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Want to give a write-up after seeing the boys put in some effort. Didn't get the result but can't fault the effort. That needs to be the benchmark now.

It is so refreshing to see players being thrown into different positions. Aaron Hall in defence, Kayne Turner a tagger, Bailey scott, ldu, Cunnington forward. Not all of it worked but it's great to see were prepared to change things in game.

Ben McKay - just keeps improving. Has his naysayers but I will always back in those people who show a desire to keep putting their shoulder to the wheel. I see him becoming a bit of a Sam Frost. He is strong and extremely quick - I think we'll see him breaking out if defense more often. It might fail a few times but it's a great skill to develop long term.

Aaron Hall - feel this is the type of game we should be seeing from Polec. Provided good drive out of defense and giving constant guidance to an inexperienced defense. Great leadership and much more team first in his play today.

Powell - we have a gem. He's so smart by hand. For those gamers out there - this guy not only has the mechanical skill (he gets headshots) but also has positional awareness (he knows the shooting lanes, he knows where all players are). He has a 360 degree awareness of his options and usually picks the best one. Easy 200 games.

Thomas - what was the stat? 29 games and only 9 with 12 or more possessions? A few more games like this please. 2 clutch goals. Threw his body around. Some crucial spoils. I hope he uses this game as a benchmark going forward.

Stephenson - the great thing about Stephenson is you can play him midfield, forward, wing, defense. He attacks from all of those positions. Was vital in most of our goals. A constant threat buzzing around. Huge part of our future. Just needs a mentor.

Larkey - that'll give him confidence. Still want to see him get a few more on the lead. The difference today was he hunted the ball when it came to ground. He worked for all of his goals.

Hayden - I think the way the game is being played he can make it. The game demands more accountability and he plays tight on his man. Some good field kicking today too.

Young - I dunno... Something about him. I think he can make it.

Goldy - we take him for granted. So good for us. Needs to go forward more often. Straightens us up.

Will Phillips - that goal... Grabs the jumper. * yeah.

Concerns

Ziebell - I think he's getting better defensively but his kicking was putrid. He loses his head. We get it you can roost the ball long. Don't do it. Hit a target. I don't question that he's a brave warrior but is he a leader? Needs to keep his head. Stevo had a crack at him at one point and I don't blame him.

Cunnington - is a great by hand and foot but he's so slow in transition. Needs to be played forward more often.

The coach

Noble - has the hardest coaching gig in the afl. Not afraid to try players at any position. Got the players believing after 3 bad losses. Did it down zurharr and McDonald in the first quarter. The last 10 minutes shouldnt happen. Persist, trust the process, keep the faith and etc.

Edit: Ben!

Last edited:

I'm struggling to believe the posts around here shitting on LDU. If you're doubting his ability or suggesting he needs to get dropped then you're the lowest common denominator of supporter and can only interpret the game through the most superficial lense.

You're going to feel like morons sooner rather than later for ever doubting him.
This

At least there was 3 quarter effort. Great tackling pressure, loved seeing it. Some of our youngsters really dominated.

Once again though, as soon as the opposition gets on top, we crumble immediately. We lose all confidence and put the cue in the rack.

Crows kicked like 8-9 goals in that last quarter. Tackle count went up and everyone shifted into another gear at the crows. It’s poor mentality

We won’t win a game this year, but I want to see this effort every game.

Oh and our injuries can get f’ed. Every year, the same thing.
Blame Groin Guru (or whatever his current name is now) :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History says teams don't go through the season winless and there was enough in this performance to give us optimism that we won't be the exception. If you take the emotion out of it, we dominated the second and third quarters without getting the return a functional forward line would've given us before running out of legs in the last and getting blown away. It's frustrating to watch at the moment, but this was a big improvement on Good Friday and that's really all we needed to see this week.

McKay excellent overall.
Stephenson good in third.
Goldy good.
Turner good when tagging Laird, but his skills are D-grade. That turnover was unacceptable from a player in a leadership role.
Mahony not AFL standard.
Campbell a total waste of space. Can't even compete in the air. Contract get stuffed, Daw or Durdin should be on list ahead of him.
LDU very disappointing.
The glimpses of Phillips and Powell are very welcome, Lazarro too.
Worry is the kids of other teams look much better than our second, third and fourth year prospects. Development is dire.
Will any of our forwards ever lead up at the ball? It's frigging simple and they never do.
Thomas doesn't go hard for long enough.
We are a very poor side as a whole, the effort was there but we got hammered in the end by a middle of the road interstate side at home. Very sobering.
Can't see a win coming. But if we must get hammered every week I don't want to see some of the usual suspects stinking it up time and again.
Cunners lead up in the last quarter and I can't remember who had the ball, under little pressure but it was one of the young blokes, who kicked over Cunners head, straight to his opponent. Our player has the excuse that he has never seen a lead before.

That number 23 for them twice lead hard at the ball carrier in the last quarter and got shots at goal as a result.

What is our plan when we have the ball going forward?

That’s the one. With a smaller forward line you would think that it would be the obvious play. Only Stephenson consistently lead

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Larkey isn't strong enough to be a stay at home either. He still loses the ball in flight and gets easily outbodied alot, needs to get on the front foot if he's going to be our number 1 option. Spicer should be getting a go for the simple fact that we don't have anyone who covers defensively in the forward 50

I know he had a contract, but the most damning part of our list management during off season was keeping him and delisting both Daw and Durdin.
Just an inexplicable decision.

Durdin was inexplicably still on the list from about 2018 onwards.

Not only that, he is now potting the players on Twitter comparing them to disabled athletes. This is a bloke whose career highlight is getting knocked out by Sandilands and big Sandi knocking himself out in the process, that’s literally it. His personality is below average even for a South Australian.

Last edited:
Fantastic to see them stick with them for 3 quarters. Being up at 3QT almost felt like a win tbh, feels like so long since we were actually up at a late stage of the game. Walker only getting 3 goals is a win and a credit to McKay. To those saying we won’t win a game this year, I think you’re wrong. There’ll be a game where it comes together and we stun someone. Light at the end of the tunnel. It’s a long tunnel and we’re nowhere near the end of it, but it’ll be ok. Taz back will be huge

Cunners did in the last quarter and someone missed the easiest kick possible and put the ball on Cunners opponent's chest
Phillips on his left. Cunners was too quick on the lead ;-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back