VFL 2021 VFL R1 v Werribee (Sat 17-Apr 2.30pm @ Avalon Airport Oval) - [live stream links in OP] Pies hold on! 69-62

Remove this Banner Ad

My take:
- Rantall deserves to be picked next week above all others.
- Poulter has enormous potential but those saying he should play next week are kidding themselves. Needs time.
- McMahon good mark but have concerns when ball hits the ground. Still looks a likely prospect
- Henry showed a bit but like Poulter not ready
- Murphy was okay and I would consider him for next week but didn't bash the door down
- Kelly doesn't look ready to replace Moore as KPD. To be honest I haven't seen anything from him to get excited about. Tough statement given his injury history I know.
- Tohill probably next tall defender in line for promotion
- Wilson meh
- T Brown meh
- Cox meh but would still consider him for next week.
- McInnes big disappointment.
- Roscoe does not impress me.

My take:
- Poulter has enormous potential but those saying he should play next week are kidding themselves. Needs time.
- McMahon good mark but have concerns when ball hits the ground. Still looks a likely prospect
- Murphy was okay and I would consider him for next week but didn't bash the door down
- Kelly doesn't look ready to replace Moore as KPD. To be honest I haven't seen anything from him to get excited about. Tough statement given his injury history I know.
- Wilson meh
- T Brown meh
McInnes was huge let down, didn’t see him. tohill was miles better than Kelly.

My take:
- Wilson meh
- T Brown meh

Pretty much exactly how I saw it. I'd add WHE to the meh list too.

Poulter will play senior footy this year. Kicked a beautiful snap goal in the last quarter from about 40, and did it easily. Obviously a classy player, with great ball getting ability. Once he fills out a bit and settles his use of the ball a little by foot, he will be a terrific player. In saying that about his ball use, he is a beautiful long kick of the footy.

My take:
- Wilson meh
- T Brown meh

- Kelly won’t come in to the senior team as a full back to begin with... that’s Rougheads role. Today he was playing full back on a big forward in Buzza

From here in I’d include Kelly or Keane in the senior back 6. Need to develop the next generation. Howes out for a while. They want Magden up field for some reason. And Allows us to play Moore forward or back...wherever he’s needed

- Poulter will play seniors by the middle of this year. He might be thin for now but brings too many other things like run and a penetrating kick to ignore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly won’t come in to the senior team as a full back to begin with... that’s Rougheads role. Today he was playing full back on a big forward in Buzza

From here in I’d include Kelly or Keane in the senior back 6. Need to develop the next generation. Howes out for a while. They want Magden up field for some reason. And Allows us to play Moore forward or back...wherever he’s needed
Tohill looked better than Kelly today tbh.

- Kelly won’t come in to the senior team as a full back to begin with... that’s Rougheads role. Today he was playing full back on a big forward in Buzza

- Poulter will play seniors by the middle of this year. He might be thin for now but brings too many other things like run and a penetrating kick to ignore

Agree with Poulter, but l would like to see him given a opportunity in games against the Suns and North in the coming weeks.

I reckon * it ay him next week

In poulter out c brown

In cox out Cameron

In tohill out mayne

In Rantall out sier

In Murphy out greenwood

Kicked a beautiful snap goal in the last quarter from about 40, and did it easily
That goal unfolded well. Was by himself talking to the runner, from the bench McInnes shouted to stay there. Werribee hack kick straight to him.

I liked Tohill in defence; it’s something I hoped we’d try in his first season where he hardly touched it as a forward. He’s came a long way with his footy since then though.

Was good seeing Moore standing in the outer give advice about defensive positioning to Tohill and Kelly on a couple of occasions when they came to the bench.

He was competitive in tight. I wouldn't be picking him yet as I think he is a back up for Greenwood, Adams, Sier. I would give him more time in the VFL to develop.
I'd pick him next week. Time to get games in to him and see how he goes. Surely he needs to came in for either C Brown or Mayne.

I think our current circumstance dictate that VFL form is only part of the selection decision making process, the future needs to be considered.

Blood Rantall now he is the most ready. Give him till mid year then if form warrants consider this year's crop and others.

Out of all of this year's draftees Poulter excited me the most on draft night. But I don't think he is ready for senior football.

Rantall is the most ready of any of our midfielder and Mayne, Greenwood and C Brown are not part of our future.

Rantall deserves an opportunity and the club needs to give it to him.

Was disappointing today
What were you expecting? We all knew his tank is incredibly poor, it’s not surprising that he couldn’t maintain the bright start he had to the day.

Probably because Kelly has been playing as a forward for 18 months. He’ll need a little time to find his feet in defence again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back