VFL 2021 VFL R1 v Werribee (Sat 17-Apr 2.30pm @ Avalon Airport Oval) - [live stream links in OP] Pies hold on! 69-62

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure but I saw him come off with a Trainer in last qtr

He looked Gassed to me Dave. He, like a lot of his mates, was really good at the start of quarters but in Reef's case by the 15 minute mark of the quarters he was looking spent.
I had a different perspective to lots of the other posters here.

After watching the whole game I was really excited by lots of our draftees. McMahon was covering heaps of ground for little reward but with his few possessions he showed beautiful disposal and his mark and goal was pure class. He'll take time to get a tank but when he does....look out! He'll be very valuable.

Poulter showed bursts of absolute brilliance, often cutting back inside and delivering with his long left boot. He was one youngster who was really prepared (all day) to take the game on and he also showed some poise in the final minutes when he could have blazed a long kick forward (and handed the ball back to the Werribee defenders) but he instead sought a handball target outside and in so doing, maintained possession at a vital stage. He's no Bont, but he's a lot better than Zannotti and I really hope that Pendles gets in this young blokes head. Poulter is a gun!

Reef was good in patches but I figure he's behind the others in match fitness due to his injuries and he struggled to run out quarters (at one stage in the third quarter he struggled to run off the ground when he was being interchanged! No doubting his intent though and he had several great clearances.

Chugg was prominent throughout the game and was often tasked with delivering the ball out of defence. He has a lovely left foot not unlike Daniel Rich. I'm bullish about this young bloke and think he could settle quite snugly into the senior defence.

Kelly looked good down back and lets face it, thats where he's played most of his junior footy. He attacked the aerial contests and often backed his judgement by leaving his own player to kill another contest. If Moore is playing forward and Keane gets rubbed out (for the trip) then Kelly could slot into CHB pretty well.

Tyler Brown was good in tight but fumbled a bit when he was playing outside. Ruscoe had chances but couldn't capitalise (i'd like to see him play off half back) Murphy was very good in the first half. Ginniver is classy but under-utilised at the present time. Wilson...doesn't seem to get near it much? Tohill however had a couple of really big opponents including Buzza and he was able to spoil, outmark a couple of times and run off them much like Darcy Moore does! He's making strides this season, much like Keane did last year.

Now for the two aerobic beasts. Rantall seemed to be everywhere and as the game wore on he just got more and more involved. He runs, he contests, he tackles, he blocks and shares the ball much like Taylor Adams does. His kicking was no worse than anybody else's and he was able to get clearances from both ruck men.

Which leads to my final review. I've loved watching Max Lynch's home movies and his antics in general would endear him to most of his team mates. But for a while I've wondered if big Max was just there making up the numbers. He's sort've been the 3rd or 4th Rucking banana for years now and I'm not sure that his coaches have ever thought he might succeed. Well today he played like a BIG MAN. Up against Matthew Lobbe and Wylie Buzza (both ex AFL players) Max took on all comers and rucked for 90% of the game and won hands down! He marked around the ground, he palmed the ball well AND SMACKED IT FORWARD when he couldn't find a mid, his attitude was just aggressive right from the start. And his presence around the ground assisted our young mids and they did the rest.

So all in all, I loved today's game. We should have kicked a few more goals, but overall we were desperate, we were courageous and we deserved to win.

Poulter will play senior footy this year. Kicked a beautiful snap goal in the last quarter from about 40, and did it easily. Obviously a classy player, with great ball getting ability. Once he fills out a bit and settles his use of the ball a little by foot, he will be a terrific player. In saying that about his ball use, he is a beautiful long kick of the footy.

Also like how he takes the Game and is Offensive with his Ball Use

That goal unfolded well. Was by himself talking to the runner, from the bench McInnes shouted to stay there. Werribee hack kick straight to him.

Happened right in front of me. The snap of one step was a classy finish. The Werribee kick was smothered, the ball ended up in Poulters vicinity, and he still had to kick it, as he had defenders running towards him, so the snap was a beauty.

Happened right in front of me. The snap of one step was a classy finish. The Werribee kick was smothered, the ball ended up in Poulters vicinity, and he still had to kick it, as he had defenders running towards him, so the snap was a beauty.

Sadly where I was they had the Board Up so I did not see it Properly :mad:

He looked Gassed to me Dave. He, like a lot of his mates, was really good at the start of quarters but in Reef's case by the 15 minute mark of the quarters he was looking spent.

After watching the whole game I was really excited by lots of our draftees. McMahon was covering heaps of ground for little reward but with his few possessions he showed beautiful disposal and his mark and goal was pure class. He'll take time to get a tank but when he does....look out! He'll be very valuable.

Poulter showed bursts of absolute brilliance, often cutting back inside and delivering with his long left boot. He was one youngster who was really prepared (all day) to take the game on and he also showed some poise in the final minutes when he could have blazed a long kick forward (and handed the ball back to the Werribee defenders) but he instead sought a handball target outside and in so doing, maintained possession at a vital stage. He's no Bont, but he's a lot better than Zannotti and I really hope that Pendles gets in this young blokes head. Poulter is a gun!

Reef was good in patches but I figure he's behind the others in match fitness due to his injuries and he struggled to run out quarters (at one stage in the third quarter he struggled to run off the ground when he was being interchanged! No doubting his intent though and he had several great clearances.

Chugg was prominent throughout the game and was often tasked with delivering the ball out of defence. He has a lovely left foot not unlike Daniel Rich. I'm bullish about this young bloke and think he could settle quite snugly into the senior defence.

Kelly looked good down back and lets face it, thats where he's played most of his junior footy. He attacked the aerial contests and often backed his judgement by leaving his own player to kill another contest. If Moore is playing forward and Keane gets rubbed out (for the trip) then Kelly could slot into CHB pretty well.

Tyler Brown was good in tight but fumbled a bit when he was playing outside. Ruscoe had chances but couldn't capitalise (i'd like to see him play off half back) Murphy was very good in the first half. Ginniver is classy but under-utilised at the present time. Wilson...doesn't seem to get near it much? Tohill however had a couple of really big opponents including Buzza and he was able to spoil, outmark a couple of times and run off them much like Darcy Moore does! He's making strides this season, much like Keane did last year.

Now for the two aerobic beasts. Rantall seemed to be everywhere and as the game wore on he just got more and more involved. He runs, he contests, he tackles, he blocks and shares the ball much like Taylor Adams does. His kicking was no worse than anybody else's and he was able to get clearances from both ruck men.

Which leads to my final review. I've loved watching Max Lynch's home movies and his antics in general would endear him to most of his team mates. But for a while I've wondered if big Max was just there making up the numbers. He's sort've been the 3rd or 4th Rucking banana for years now and I'm not sure that his coaches have ever thought he might succeed. Well today he played like a BIG MAN. Up against Matthew Lobbe and Wylie Buzza (both ex AFL players) Max took on all comers and rucked for 90% of the game and won hands down! He marked around the ground, he palmed the ball well AND SMACKED IT FORWARD when he couldn't find a mid, his attitude was just aggressive right from the start. And his presence around the ground assisted our young mids and they did the rest.

So all in all, I loved today's game. We should have kicked a few more goals, but overall we were desperate, we were courageous and we deserved to win.
Agree with most of this mate. Reef was disappointing for mine but you are right he’s lacking fitness. I thought tohill and Chugg were best defenders. Mcmahons hands and kicking are clean, lack of supply for him today. T brown, every time he touches it he seems rushed, dunno.. just lacks composure.. unfortunately like his bro...like he doesn’t want the footy and wants to get rid of asap
Standouts for me were Rantall and poulter, impressed

Nice post. It would also pay to keep in mind that Werribee has a very strong team, who were one of the premiership favourites last year before the season got cancelled. To beat them on their home deck, with a relatively young and inexperienced side was a great effort.

Great insight into our future today 👍 for your post.

Thanks for the report - some great insights.
And pleasantly surprised with your comments on Lynch. I’ve had high hopes he might take the next step, so todays performance sounds promising.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't have many playing well at the moment so a place needs to be found.
Not at the expense of team balance it doesn’t. Witts destroyed all comers in his final year at Collingwood, but he couldn’t fit in the side as a second pure ruck. On the one or two occasions they tried he and Grundy together it was a disaster. It’s great that he looks to be capable depth, but if we lose him then so be it. With Grundy, Cameron and him on the books, it’s a likely scenario.

Not at the expense of team balance it doesn’t. Witts destroyed all comers in his final year at Collingwood, but he couldn’t fit in the side as a second pure ruck. On the one or two occasions they tried he and Grundy together it was a disaster. It’s great that he looks to be capable depth, but if we lose him then so be it. With Grundy, Cameron and him on the books, it’s a likely scenario.

Need Points for N Daicos and Dib

I’d take Poulter over mayne instantly
I wouldn’t. Poulter was great today, but he was also run down several times with the ball. He needs time to find his feet and the pace of the game at VFL level before he plays seniors, which will be another step up in intensity.

I wouldn’t. Poulter was great today, but he was also run down several times with the ball. He needs time to find his feet and the pace of the game at VFL level before he plays seniors, which will be another step up in intensity.

Not to mention a couple of first half clangers that led to opposition scores. I'm on the Poulter train, but maybe needs a bit more time.

Have you seen our team?

Yes but I am not for lambs to the slaughter. Rather see Rantall, Murphy, Tohill, and Kelly given opportunities in the first half of the year. Those with a bit more mature bodies. Poulter will get his chance in a month or so if he builds on that effort.

Oliver is a cautionary tale. I said earlier today that Poulter was the player that excited me the most on draft night. His performance today was pleasing, but think we should give him a bit of time to find his feet at VFL level before throwing into the deep end.

If he keeps improving he’ll go past Cameron - given he also has Grundys aerobic capacity it allows Grundy more time fwd, where he can dominate as we saw last night.
He's been no where until today, and he wasn't that good today either, clutching at straws if you think Lynch will make it

Do not dis my boy The Farm. He’ll be the Bont.

For those that say Reef was disappointing.

This was his 2nd game as a full mid.

Before now? was over 2 years ago in school footy. Didn't play mid in Nab league at all in 2019.

Lets give him time.

I don’t think the pitchforks were out, just stating fact. He was disappointing. If he is still at that level by the end of the year then people will be heading to the shed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back