Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton vs Essendon* Sunday 2 May 3:20PM @ MCG - Team Post #1104

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sps dropped on the eve of Teagues biggest game of his career, tells you something. šŸ„±
No one mentioning Kennedy. I guess je was really bad last week?
Pretty obvious Teague is not his biggest fan.
Welcome back Parks.

Back when Bolton was coach he played the kids before they were ready, yet players like Murphy were still valuable and contributed.
That time has passed now.
The ā€œkidsā€ are a few years older now, and need to sink or swim, and the game has passed Murphy by.
I expect Eddie and Levi will be gone before to long when some players come back from injury.

Yeah, I like Teague and the match committee are making the younger guys earn it and not just give them games cos younger.

Itā€™s not like these younger guys havenā€™t given given chances, itā€™s just they have generally failed to take them.

Really surprised at the reaction to SPS omission.. in what world has he been playing to a standard that warrants a guaranteed first 22 selection?? ... I can understand the desire to see the older players making way for the young players, but that doesnā€™t change the fact that SPSā€™s form is simply not up to scratch - that includes desire...

Unfortunate that Smurph is injured, but ZW the only out that disappoints me. Obvious that heā€™s been labouring a bit so hopefully the week off helps him get his body right.

Iā€™d have gone Setters and Honey, but Owies/Honey much of a muchness.

Hope weā€™re up and about tomorrow - have a feeling we will be.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like Teague and the match committee are making the younger guys earn it and not just give them games cos younger.

Itā€™s not like these younger guys havenā€™t given given chances, itā€™s just they have generally failed to take them.
It not really making them earn it when the old guys donā€™t have to though. You still need selection integrity

No one mentioning Kennedy. I guess je was really bad last week?
Pretty obvious Teague is not his biggest fan.
Welcome back Parks.

Kennedy is just backup at this point, probably gone at years end (he was put on rookie list for a reason).

We have struggled with forward pressure and when we donā€™t have the ball, not enough defensive running etc.

Kennedy wouldnā€™t make us better in any of those areas.

Really surprised at the reaction to SPS omission.. on what world has he been playing to a standard that warrants a guaranteed first 22 selection?? ... I can understand the desire to see the older players making way for the young players, but that doesnā€™t change the fact that SPSā€™s form is simply not up to scratch - that includes desire...

Unfortunate that Smurph is injured, but ZW the only out that disappoints me. Obvious that heā€™s been labouring a bit so hopefully the week off helps him get his body right.

Iā€™d have gone Setters and Honey, but Owies/Honey much of a muchness.

Hope weā€™re up and about tomorrow - have a feeling we will be.

For mine the issue with SPS isnā€™t his form not warranting a spell. More so that the coach decided to do it after playing SPS one week in his more natural position, after playing him 1.5 years out of his natural position.

the amount of rope some players in this team have is unbelievable - long and short.

I 100% agree, Bolton stuffed a lot of these guys because games were gifted and winning games wasnā€™t even a metric for performance.

So if we remain a middling side for ages, so be it. No more of these scorched earth rebuilds which give the coaches and players an out, where every failure can be dressed up as ā€œgreen shootsā€, ā€œdevelopmentā€, ā€œplaying the kidsā€ etc.

Not sure how long it will take but picking sides which we feel give us the best chance of winning is the way to go, get a bit of resilience back into the club, get them used to the external pressure of having to actually win games to avoid scrutiny, itā€™s been missing for far too long.
Two more drafts

It not really making them earn it when the old guys donā€™t have to though. You still need selection integrity

Well when you say older ones who do you mean?

Murph is out (for one reason or other)

Betts I think stays because he can actually apply forward pressure and Owies has come in to add more to that.

Levi, though struggling still works hard and puts in, and with omac and TDK injured, no one exists on the list to replace him.

Now there are others like Newnes who I believe should be put on notice as well, even Doch if he doesnā€™t start playing more accountable football and stop butchering the football.

I am tempted to suggest we should put in Owies as bit of a wildcard/x factor selection.

Not one to put tickets on myself but

tumblr_lt6hiogx5J1r14o02o1_500.gifv

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So happy to see Murphy omitted. Let him earn his 300th game, he has 17 rounds left and certainly doesnā€™t need to play week after week when he isnā€™t playing well.
Only, he wasn't omitted........people will claim anything when they're after blood. So, you think they dropped him to make him earn his spot then named him as injured so that he can't earn his spot as he won't be playing at all. Makes sense.

Williams sore again FMD

Turning out to be a poor investment thus far. Suspended, injured and looks unfit. Add to that not offering much in terms of consistent footballing, without providing much needed skills to the line-up. Game#7 and absent for 3.

Hope weā€™re getting some dollars back in match payments, as not acceptable for a big signing and conditioning.

I donā€™t think Murphy is part of our best 22.

But Jesus, some of the comments on his omission (injured) is bloody disgraceful and you should be ashamed to call yourselves ā€œsupportersā€. Keyboard warriors
Ironic, keyboard warrior having a go at others for being a keyboard warrior

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Two thoughts....

First, great to get Parks back in. Hard to believe how structurally important a two gamer is to us.

Second, wouldn't have Honey been the better replacement for Murph both in terms of position and most recent form (compared to Owies)?
I suspect we are going to see Betts buzzing around up the ground while Owies plays deep in the pocket. It might work against bombers whose defence is traditionally loose, but only if we dominate in the middle. Won't be the answer against better sides though, and I'd love to see Eddie teaching the kids to kick bags in the twos throughout the second half of 2021.

For mine the issue with SPS isnā€™t his form not warranting a spell. More so that the coach decided to do it after playing SPS one week in his more natural position, after playing him 1.5 years out of his natural position.

the amount of rope some players in this team have is unbelievable - long and short.

I donā€™t really see the issue with the positional change to swift omission. Iā€™m guessing that theyā€™re either sending him to the 2s with a view to bringing him back on the ball, or theyā€™re unhappy with him as a defender so he doesnā€™t deserve his spot. I would argue that SPS has been granted a lot of patience. Hereā€™s hoping he can come on as a midfielder.

Everyone has been calling for a ā€œstatement droppingā€ SPS gets dropped I love him but he chooses when to go and when not to. This is the statement doing it to a Murphy or Betts has no effect on the younger players
Having Murphy in the side as a leader who chooses when to go and when not to hasnt been great teachings to younger players either

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Turning out to be a poor investment thus far. Suspended, injured and looks unfit. Add to that not offering much in terms of consistent footballing, without providing much needed skills to the line-up. Game#7 and absent for 3.

Hope weā€™re getting some dollars back in match payments, as not acceptable for a big signing and conditioning.

.. very early doors.

Sorry for the intrusion. I have my doubts we can back up 2 weeks in a row at the moment, so believe Carlton will win in a close game.

Wishing you good luck tomorrow.

I don't doubt our consistency at all, looking forward to more half arse efforts from our senior players that are undroppable.

You guys will win.

Well when you say older ones who do you mean?

Murph is out (for one reason or other)

Betts I think stays because he can actually apply forward pressure and Owies has come in to add more to that.

Levi, though struggling still works hard and puts in, and with omac and TDK injured, no one exists on the list to replace him.

Now there are others like Newnes who I believe should be put on notice as well, even Doch if he doesnā€™t start playing more accountable football and stop butchering the football.

McKay lays more F50 tackles per game than Betts.

Itā€™s honestly astonishing to me that people think heā€™s doing anything to justify a game right now.

Selection is a weekly exercise in malpractice at this club in 2021.

SPS has had 4 pre seasons to build up his tank to play midfield but has failed to do so. That should tell you why he doesn't get a gig in there. He only ever wears long sleeve guernseys and has admitted because Melbourne is too cold. The guy needs to work out if he really wants to be here and if he does then needs to stop playing on cruise control.

On Williams he is starting to look like recruiting him will play out like most of our so called gun recruits since Judd.
Injury prone and getting paid handsomly to sit in the stands. Daisy Thomas, McGovern, .Newman, Marchbank, Martin.
We've also had Docherty miss two years and even Betts coming back strained his calf. Any new recruits should not be injury prone. Williams from memory missed a lot of Footy at GWS and so did Martin at Goldcoast. Luckily Saad doesn't have a history.
Donā€™t think Williams tank is much more than SPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back