Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:

For the MSD I'd like for us to either go for a ruck, a kpd or a midfielder.
Did anyone watch the u23s game?
If so how did Moyle, Bravo, and Raak go?

For the MSD I'd like for us to either go for a ruck, a kpd or a midfielder.
Did anyone watch the u23s game?
If so how did Moyle, Bravo, and Raak go?
Moyle missed the U23 game to play for Collingwood in the VFL. Collingwood fans pleased with what they saw from what I've read, many pleased enough to want to take him in the MSD. Made good taps off both hands and composed with the ball. I didn't see the game myself so can't provide much more than that.

Raak played in the U23 game and was moved forward at half time (metro changed a lot of positions as they were dominating) and kicked 2 goals.

I agree that I wouldn't mind a KPD project on a needs basis but can't think of many names that have come up for that type. Callow as a defender maybe but we've already passed on him once.

Actually, reading back, I quite like the sound of Dominic Akuei from an attribute perspective. I've seen him listed at 192cm and 196cm which might mean he's still growing. He has played forward, back, ruck and even played a half of wing for the U23 game (took some big marks in defense). Sub 3 second 20m sprint and a huge leap. From Carlton's NGA zone. Could get him now while they don't have priority access.

Last edited:
Sonsie looks like the one- 1st VFL game and already a class above. The quality goal kicking mid we need desperately
Pick 1 North - Jason Horne
Pick 2 Pies - Nick Daicos
Pick 3 Hawks - Tyler Sonsie
Davo-27 What is your reason for a thumbs down on Sonsie? I assume you have someone else in mind?? Not judging btw just would like your take on it :)

This is going to be a bolter call but after watching some vision I’m starting to think Neil Erasmus might be someone to seriously consider. I’m really getting shades of Bontempelli who was also considered a small bolter in his draft year.

Pros:
188cm and growing
Fantastic contested mark
Can accumulate the ball but isn’t an accumulator-style player (averaging 28 disposals)
Fantastic kicking skills
Flexibility to rest forward and impact the game
Can play inside/outside
Doesn't mind the physical aspects of the game like tackling
DOB is December which means he’s putting in high level performances at Colts level despite basically being a year of development behind his peers
Only moved to the midfield this year and performing at a high level

Cons:
Doesn’t have explosive speed
Can sometimes be a bit too outside
Needs a good performance at the Championships to catapult him from a 10-20 pick to a top 5 pick

Last edited:
This is going to be a bolter call but after watching some vision I’m starting to think Neil Erasmus might be someone to seriously consider. I’m really getting shades of Bontempelli who was also considered a small bolter in his draft year.

Pros:
188cm and growing
Fantastic contested mark
Can accumulate the ball but isn’t an accumulator-style player (averaging 28 disposals)
Fantastic kicking skills
Can play inside/outside
DOB is December which means he’s putting in high level performances at Colts level despite basically being a year of development behind his peers

Cons:
Needs a good performance at the Championships to catapult him from a 10-20 pick to a top 5 pick
wouldn't it be better if he stayed in the 20's range and we got him there?

wouldn't it be better if he stayed in the 20's range and we got him there?

I hadn't seen him before so thought there was a chance of that. If he continues to play consistently at the level he's shown I don't think there's a chance he lasts to the 20s. Even more so if he has a good championships. The 3-6 range of this draft after Horne & Daicos is very much up for grabs.

Look out for Finn Callaghan to firm his position as a potential top 10 pick as well if you're focusing on players that rise up, has a lot of fans in important places 😉

Sonsie looks like the one- 1st VFL game and already a class above. The quality goal kicking mid we need desperately
Pick 1 North - Jason Horne
Pick 2 Pies - Nick Daicos
Pick 3 Hawks - Tyler Sonsie
I would not be taking Sonsie at Pick 3. That’s a reach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look out for Finn Callaghan to firm his position as a potential top 10 pick as well if you're focusing on players that rise up, has a lot of fans in important places 😉
I like him a lot.

Davo-27 What is your reason for a thumbs down on Sonsie? I assume you have someone else in mind?? Not judging btw just would like your take on it :)

no offense intended, i just dont think at this moment Sonsie is a good pick at 3 for us, he has some good qualities, but im not sure a small midfielder with good goal sense, but limited contested game is for us, i think there might be a more complete inside mid or outside mid we could target, just my opinion.

no offense intended, i just dont think at this moment Sonsie is a good pick at 3 for us, he has some good qualities, but im not sure a small midfielder with good goal sense, but limited contested game is for us, i think there might be more complete inside mid or outside mid we could target, just my opinion.
is this Seamus Mitchell though?

*i don't know enough about him

is this Seamus Mitchell though?

*i don't know enough about him

Seamus Mitchell is more speedy outside player, plays forward, has been injured mostly, i think we picked up a few sml forwards with pace last draft and one has worked out for us in Tyler Brockman, maybe Seamus Mitchell will also work out? but i was referring to Tyler Sonsie in that quote.

Pros:
188cm and growing
Fantastic contested mark
Fantastic kicking skills
Can play inside/outside
Only moved to the midfield this year and performing at a high level

Cons:

theres a bit of Mark LeCras from the Eagles about him tbh, can also play midfield as he is starting to show at colts WAFL level as well, i'm claiming bragging rights on this one :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back