Review Geelong defeats GCS by 34 points. Rd 10, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeds, as someone with a background in statistics you should well know that a metric is only as reliable an indicator as the make-up of its underlying data set and that the differing measuring points on what constitutes a turnover against a specific player are not mutually comparable.
Yep. There is no perfect statistic to measure this as each turnover is different. But there are better statistics and worse statistics to look at turnovers. We should aim for the best one we can find.

Kolo is our best defender bar none. Yes, Stewart is a multiple AA and gets a lot of the ball, but no one in our side defends as well as Kolo.

It's the reason he kept Corbett to just two disposals on the weekend, and the reason he was given Dusty in last year's GF (even though he was beaten).

It's also part of the reason he's our only player 25 or under to have played more than 100 games.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

It seems to me the above chart - which i do like, incidentally - illustrates the difficulty of getting stats to tell the whole story. The sample is probably too small - it's just this season, right? There are possibly too many variables for a stat like this to consider, such as difficulty of position. Thus Hawkins and Rohan are in the red etc.

Then personal preferences come in to play: personally i would prefer Adam Saad or a clone of him to be in the team rather than Kolo, but we haven't got the former (although we do have Clark).

At my age - 75 - I tend to look at players through the prism of the following question: do they look like the sort of player you need to win a flag? That is why over the last few seasons I've questioned whether we have enough dash and class in our back half. But one player's strengths can compensate for another's deficiencies so it may be that Kolo can be a Premiership player if another genuine and reasonably youthful A-grader defender bobs up.

It’s Blicavs, Henderson, Kolo and Tuohy. Stewart on 155 CDOOOs. Stewart has the best kicking efficiency of the lot but also makes the most turnovers per game (twice as many as Kolo).
So he should given he wins plenty more of the ball.

I see we’ve latched onto the turnovers point, creating a plausible yet unprovable narrative, and conveniently ignored the main point which started this which is that Kolo is selected because he’s a very reliable and effective negative defender.

Has it been proven or disproven that Kolo’s Dad is compiling these stats on him?

Post some proof then.

According to AFL.com.au, Kolo averages just 1.7 turnovers per game. Atkins (3.7), Stewart (3.7), Bews (2.7), Tuohy (2.7), Zuthrie (2.5), Blicavs (2.2), O'Connor (2.2), Henderson (2.1) all average more. In fact, out of all of our defenders, only Jack Henry (1.4) averages less.

Provide me a link for goals conceded by turnovers for individual players.

Kolo is our best defender bar none. Yes, Stewart is a multiple AA and gets a lot of the ball, but no one in our side defends as well as Kolo.

It's the reason he kept Corbett to just two disposals on the weekend, and the reason he was given Dusty in last year's GF (even though he was beaten).

It's also part of the reason he's our only player 25 or under to have played more than 100 games.

C’mon. If you are using the defending of Corbett to illustrate his prowess you are clutching at straws. He’s a reasonable defender at actually initially nullifying a contest who is ordinary with ball in hand. That’s about as generous as I can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C’mon. If you are using the defending of Corbett to illustrate his prowess you are clutching at straws. He’s a reasonable defender at actually initially nullifying a contest who is ordinary with ball in hand. That’s about as generous as I can be.
I think he also has a bit of nouse with quicker players at ground level to be able to get in their way and hide the difference in speed. Underrated skill

Has it been proven or disproven that Kolo’s Dad is compiling these stats on him?
I’ve got to hand it to you, I think this could be a new benchmark. Certainly beats “feels” and demands for stats that don’t exist. :D

If we're reduced now to discussing Josh Walkers scone may I suggest it's time to open the Geelong v Collingwood thread.

I went to the game and ate about 300 scones in the Peroni Lounge for my birthday. Didn't once think of Josh Walker. Though I did walk pat Wojak who was in the lounge too. He may have been having a Johnie Walker.

Of course players are trained to pin the arm so it creates incorrect disposal and wins a free kick.
And he didn’t have much time to think about it. He was travelling fast and wrapped his ar
He does some good things. But his bad normally results in a goal against us.
I may be wrong but I recall that some years ago, Kolo played a game on the wing and there was talk of turning him into a midfielder. Now some want him out the door as not being good enough to be a defender.

Just looking at it from another angle 😉
Heh. When the answer staring us right in the face isn’t to our tastes, presumed nepotism is always in arms’ length. Very handy. ;)

Geelong v Gold Coast
10 Joel Selwood (GEEL)
7 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
4 Sam Menegola (GEEL)
3 Quinton Narkle (GEEL)
3 Touk Miller (GCFC)
3 Mark Blicavs (GEEL)

Joel putting in another fine performance

Putting together a vintage season. I for one thought he might be on his last legs, but this is his best start to a season in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back