Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee whiz it's like we're contending for a premiership and we have a average age of 26/27...

And I think we have very short memories...

We played one of the most uninspired game plans ever last season and it got to the point we couldn't even score.

The same problem still exists but I'd rather we fail being more exciting rather than giving it up on the wing over and over again.

We need to find a way to make opposition more accountable in a era where dropping back is not as easy.

We really need to make opponents run ragged so it's always on our terms.

Oh thank heavens. For a minute there, I thought our dear friend Snake had had some kind of stroke and lost most of his vocabulary as he was just repeating the same word over and over like some mentally impaired Game of Thrones character. Good to see him bring out the classics once again.
2 words. As nauseum.

Posted this in the game day thread but I'm quite concerned. I like the way Noble carries himself but I hope he's got more up his sleeve in terms of game plan.

We're attempting to play fast break, corridor footy, with an out the back paddock method of scoring goals.

If we want to play like this we need a CHF steaming through the middle hitting up at the ball carrier and a FF who doesn't get sucked too far into the press. Say what you want about him but Snake has been banging on about this correctly.

Well coached teams just crowd the corridor to slow us down, roll each zone line back until they force us to a (usually outnumbered) contest and/or force a turnover by crowding the leading lanes, then run it in waves down the other end where they have 2-3 stretching our zone which is unable to roll back quickly enough on the turnover.

We can add as many #1 picks as we want, this will not win us many. We can have as good kicking skills as we want, we will turn it over with nothing to kick to.

Stop blaming the 'game plan'. That's a fools errand.

You basically have two options this year;

Option #1
Implement your future game plan from day 1, knowing you don't have the personnel to really have it succeed

or

Option 2
Use some stop-gap game-plan that you'll scrap once you've had your first opportunity to really shape the list.

David Noble does #1.
Brad Scott did #2 for 10 years and we went nowhere.

Given the state of our list, I'm more than happy to have a head coach with the confidence to back in his game-plan knowing it'll struggle this year, but with the belief it gives us a head start in 2022 and beyond.

Option #1
Implement your future game plan from day 1, knowing you don't have the personnel to really have it succeed

or

Option 2
Use some stop-gap game-plan that you'll scrap once you've had your first opportunity to really shape the list.

David Noble does #1.

Given the state of our list, I'm more than happy to have a head coach with the confidence to back in his game-plan knowing it'll struggle this year, but with the belief it gives us a head start in 2022 and beyond.

My problem isn't with him choosing Option 1. It's more that the plan and structures do not make sense. As our list improves and sides put more effort into stopping us rather than backing their own system in, as both Essendon and St Kilda have both said they've done, that we won't be winning as many as we should.

There's not a single thing that makes sense about a hard 18 man back half press and fast break corridor footy. It's why we always seem outnumbered going both ways. It invites turnovers, it results in us getting torched the other way, and it results in a lot of over possession and few avenues to goal.

Noble has shown an ability to tweak things mid game and seems like he has a great temperament but this is the most nonsensical structure I've seen us run with. We're holding our shape a bit better in the second half but the Plan A is worrying.

David needs to account for the last 2 weeks.

It's not all explained by personnel or dreams of magic draft beans.

The system and organisation have been deplorable.

Disagree. Think that's exceptionally short-sighted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. Think that's exceptionally short-sighted.

It’s short sighted to expect a coach to take accountability for consecutive poor performances?

He deserved some plaudits for better system against Geelong and Melbourne and it cuts both ways When we dish up drivel.

You can’t defer all expectation of standards for a utopian day when we’re stacked with 44 first round picks.

Option #1

or

Option 2

David Noble does #1.

Did Brad Scott actually do that, though? Because I remember the whole talk around 2010/11 being "we'll play the way we want to play, 'cause that's what the best sides do", or "we don't just want to beat the best, we want to be the best" - i.e., we'll stick to the handball-happy running-and-attacking gameplan, even though it leaves us awfully exposed against the likes of St. Kilda/Geelong/Collingwood, and even though the current list runs out of energy before four quarters are though, because in the end we want to be so good at executing our own gameplan that we don't need to worry about what the other side wants to do, we'll still win. Or, in other words, "trust the process" - i.e., exactly what Noble is doing right now.

I get a bit sick of the revisionist claptrap that floats around on here about what happened in the Scott era. Wasn't it always said - wasn't the major knock - that he had "no plan B"? That is, that we stuck to the same gameplan too much, failing to adapt to what our opponents threw at us?

Realistically, to take a negative view of an era with about as many ups as it had downs, the greatest problem across Scott's whole tenure was an inability to address issues that were present from his first season in charge - the major fadeouts late (those shouldn't-have-been-so-close wins against Adelaide and Brisbane in 2010, through to every last 30-points-up-in-Q2-but-losing-in-the-dying-minutes defeat), inability to stop opposition run-ons, over-reliance on quick handball and running in waves, and so on. Which means the proper comparison with Noble isn't stay-the-course vs. mid-table adaptability, it's whether Noble can do what Scott ultimately couldn't and iron out the obvious problems the current approach is leading to. Obviously the jury is still out on that, but at 1-10 we've hardly started strongly. Come to think of it, the forward line was pretty poor in 2010 too, with Petrie out most of the year and Hale being asked to play a #1 tall role that wasn't really his best position...

I seriously don't get the desire so many on here have to exempt us from scrutiny at the present moment. That's less specifically about Noble, who has mostly said the right things at the right times and been reasonably balanced in his approach, and more about the supporter stupidity that insists youth is always the answer and the future is always bright, no matter what evidence is before them. Plenty who insist we're on the right track no doubt said the same in 2010, and probably again during Shaw's 2019 stint, because clearly for this sort of person, it's more about artificial disposition that any sort of orientation towards reality; history suggests we need to heed these early warnings (those blowouts and fadeouts under Scott, the stodgy ineptitude of the Geelong loss under Shaw) rather than relying on the false comfort of hollow "positivity" every time. That doesn't mean ignoring the silver linings - just that maybe people should factor the giant clouds into their analysis as well.

Last edited:
Did Brad Scott actually do that, though? Because I remember the whole talk around 2010/11 being "we'll play the way we want to play, 'cause that's what the best sides do", or "we don't just want to beat the best, we want to be the best" - i.e., we'll stick to the handball-happy running-and-attacking gameplan, even though it leaves us awfully exposed against the likes of St. Kilda/Geelong/Collingwood, and even though the current list runs out of energy before four quarters are though, because in the end we want to be so good at executing our own gameplan that we don't need to worry about what the other side wants to do, we'll still win. Or, in other words, "trust the process" - i.e., exactly what Noble is doing right now.

I get a bit sick of the revisionist claptrap that floats around on here about what happened in the Scott era. Wasn't it always said - wasn't the major knock - that he had "no plan B"? That is, that we stuck to the same gameplan too much, failing to adapt to what our opponents threw at us?

Realistically, to take a negative view of an era with about as many ups as it had downs, the greatest problem across Scott's whole tenure was an inability to address issues that were present from his first season in charge - the major fadeouts late (those shouldn't-have-been-so-close wins against Adelaide and Brisbane in 2010, through to every last 30-points-up-in-Q2-but-losing-in-the-dying-minutes defeat), inability to stop opposition run-ons, over-reliance on quick handball and running in waves, and so on. Which means the proper comparison with Noble isn't stay-the-course vs. mid-table adaptability, it's whether Noble can do what Scott ultimately couldn't and iron out the obvious problems the current approach is leading to. Obviously the jury is still out on that, but at 1-10 we've hardly started strongly. Come to think of it, the forward line was pretty poor in 2010 too, with Petrie out most of the year and Hale being asked to play a #1 tall role that wasn't really his best position...

I seriously don't get the desire so many on here have to exempt us from scrutiny at the present moment. That's less specifically about Noble, who has mostly said the right things at the right times and been reasonably balanced in his approach, and more about the supporter stupidity that insists youth is always the answer and the future is always bright, no matter what evidence is before them. Plenty who insist we're on the right track no doubt said the same in 2010, and probably again during Shaw's 2019 stint, because clearly for this sort of person, it's more about artificial disposition that any sort of orientation towards reality; history suggests we need to heed these early warnings (those blowouts and fadeouts under Scott, the stodgy ineptitude of the Geelong loss under Shaw) rather than relying on the false comfort of hollow "positivity" every time. That doesn't mean ignoring the silver linings - just that maybe people should factor the giant clouds into their analysis as well.

Far too "adult" for this place.

Needs more Disney.

Totally unfair to compare Noble's first year with Scott's. Scott inherited a list that had only been uncompetitive for a year, making finals 3 of the 5 previous seasons (compared to Noble's which made finals only 1 of the previous 5 seasons, none of the previous 4). He still had great senior players from the Laidley era like Harvey, Rawlings, Petrie, Wells, Firrito, Thompson and McIntosh, and some good young players like Hansen, Swallow, Thomas, Ziebell, Goldstein, Wright and Greenwood. The core of the playing group was already pretty well formed, there was nothing close to the level of disruption and chaos that's come from the 3 coaches in 3 years, culling the oldest list in the competition, and now a run of injuries that rivals 2016. Scott didn't have Petrie for most of the year (I could be forgetting but I don't remember many other significant injuries that season) but that just doesn't compare to losing Tarrant, McDonald, Corr, Anderson and Polec, not to mention Cunnington, Garner, Dumont and now Stephenson have all missed games.

Totally unfair to compare Noble's first year with Scott's. Scott inherited a list that had only been uncompetitive for a year, making finals 3 of the 5 previous seasons (compared to Noble's which made finals only 1 of the previous 5 seasons, none of the previous 4). He still had great senior players from the Laidley era like Harvey, Rawlings, Petrie, Wells, Firrito, Thompson and McIntosh, and some good young players like Hansen, Swallow, Thomas, Ziebell, Goldstein, Wright and Greenwood. The core of the playing group was already pretty well formed, there was nothing close to the level of disruption and chaos that's come from the 3 coaches in 3 years, culling the oldest list in the competition, and now a run of injuries that rivals 2016. Scott didn't have Petrie for most of the year (I could be forgetting but I don't remember many other significant injuries that season) but that just doesn't compare to losing Tarrant, McDonald, Corr, Anderson and Polec, not to mention Cunnington, Garner, Dumont and now Stephenson have all missed games.
Excellent post LB

Posted this in the game day thread but I'm quite concerned. I like the way Noble carries himself but I hope he's got more up his sleeve in terms of game plan.

We're attempting to play fast break, corridor footy, with an out the back paddock method of scoring goals.

If we want to play like this we need a CHF steaming through the middle hitting up at the ball carrier and a FF who doesn't get sucked too far into the press. Say what you want about him but Snake has been banging on about this correctly.

Well coached teams just crowd the corridor to slow us down, roll each zone line back until they force us to a (usually outnumbered) contest and/or force a turnover by crowding the leading lanes, then run it in waves down the other end where they have 2-3 stretching our zone which is unable to roll back quickly enough on the turnover.

We can add as many #1 picks as we want, this will not win us many. We can have as good kicking skills as we want, we will turn it over with nothing to kick to.

It's OK to play this way though, because the short kicking + attempted corridor is going to be a key plank of the game plan for the next 5+ years.

The issue is having no aerial presence because the current forward personnel is physically not up to it.

So when that comes, through draft/trade/maybe Xerri and/or Comben can come on, I don't know - suddenly the short kicking + attempted corridor becomes wildly more effective because teams will be split between whether to defend that or the air, plus there are multiple ways of getting forward.

And when it happens, the team already has a running start with how to play the harder part of the game plan with precision disposal rather than starting from scratch there. Whenever the improvement happens, whether it's 12/18/24 months, it'll come quickly - it's just getting to that part feels like having a root canal every week.

ALL THESE IDIOTS WHO ARE BAGGING OUT NOBLE ON HERE AND SOCIAL MEDIA HAVE FRICKEN LOST THE PLOT EOS.

What you are seeing is frustration.

We are 1-10 and have had games where it has looked for patches (or the whole thing) like we didn't want to be out there.

Individual losses are not really going to impact him because it is pretty clear that the club are looking at a multi year strategy of development, refresh and building.

But losses and frustration wear on people. Especially when improvement is hard to find. We have had back to back losses against teams that are flakey as f***. Flick it to the outside skiddish type play, but it has absolutely torn us apart. If the Saints were any sort of team we lose that game by 10 goals + so many gimme goals missed and took the foot off the gas at the exact time they should have applied it harder.

The club has spoken about process and spoken about nourishment. Well nourishment is not worth as much if you go out the next week and seemingly tip out all you gained.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back