Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to watching Horne steam through the middle...

Only for him to realise he's further ahead of the play than all of our forwards, so he stops, props and has to take on three tacklers all so he can handball 6 metres backward.

2021 in a paragraph

He was back last week in the colts

The kid is a big unit, but comparing him with someone like Logan McDonald at the moment is a bit ridiculous, and Logan has hit the wall in the big time (as expected at his age).

Notable performances from ~top 20 prospects today:

WAFL Colts:
Van Rooyen - 24 touches, 6 marks, 3 goals 1 behind
Matthew Johnson - 21 touches, 9 tackles

SANFL Under 18's
Arlo Draper - 27 touches, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 7 clearances

SANFL Seniors
Jason Horne: 19 touches, 6 marks, 5 clearances

Good to see Van Rooyen bounce back and build some form playing against kids his age. I'll watch Horne's game in the next day or 2 and post a recap in here.

3 goals in the wet too for your man Williams, say he isn’t far from a call up to ressies

You tell me mate!

At least Jason is going to come into his first AFL pre-season with two SANFL league level seasons under his belt.
If only we could go back in time and apply this principle in 2006; jack riewoldt was playing in our VFL aligned mens team (Tassie) and we took the boom teenager - Lachie Hansen - on the back of his performances against boys. Worked out well

If only we could go back in time and apply this principle in 2006; jack riewoldt was playing in our VFL aligned mens team (Tassie) and we took the boom teenager - Lachie Hansen - on the back of his performances against boys. Worked out well

If that logic entered our thinking, we may well have called out Mitch Thorp's name.

Were we Tassie aligned back then? I still shake my head at Isaac Smith and North Ballarat
yep

The point re: Isaac Smith is reasonable - on the other hand, the two prominent running players in the Roosters premiership team that year were Smith and Cam Richardson, and truly, my recollection is they were a dead heat in terms of potential, so when we got Richardson via a trade with Gold Coast, I can understand why we went with Shaun Atley

I kinda think Lachie was a fairly good player for us tried his guts out every match and on top of that a real Shineboner in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horne vs Central

- Butchered a short pass from his back pocket to 30m out centrally out front his own goal. Opponent that gathered kicked a behind, should have been a goal. There was another moment later on in the game where he was trying to hit a short 15-20m to a teammate on the lead and it dropped 1m short. Insert comment here about how he's already turning into a North player. His technique is fine, both kicks looked slightly lazy though as he probably checked out due to them being very easy kicks.

- Absolutely ridiculous chase down tackle 4:40 into the first quarter winning a holding the ball free kick. Opponent was streaming through the centre with at least 3-4m on him and he caught him within a few seconds. Think Super Gav chasing Farren Ray.

- Took a really courageous intercept contested mark in defense. Opponent hit him made him earn it - got back up and carried on like it was nothing.

- Did a really good job the whole game of presenting to the ball carrier and getting separation from his opponent to take the mark. Took one mark on the lead with his arms extended and his opponent breathing down his neck and it just stuck. Excellent mark.

- Hit the ball at pace at one stoppage, sold candy and kicked long. Blind freddy could see how explosive he is with his first few steps.

- Can win the ball in so many ways. Stoppage, contested in the air, clunking them on the lead, defensive pressure leading to a turnover, reads it off the pack really well.

Concluding statement: He didn't tear this game apart but the glimpses he continues to show are so bloody impressive. I've said it before but there's no other comparison than Dangerfield - he's so Dangerfield-like it's ridiculous. If anyone tells you Daicos is better than Horne, spit in their face.

Horne vs Central

- Butchered a short pass from his back pocket to 30m out centrally out front his own goal. Opponent that gathered kicked a behind, should have been a goal. There was another moment later on in the game where he was trying to hit a short 15-20m to a teammate on the lead and it dropped 1m short. Insert comment here about how he's already turning into a North player. His technique is fine, both kicks looked slightly lazy though as he probably checked out due to them being very easy kicks.

- Absolutely ridiculous chase down tackle 4:40 into the first quarter winning a holding the ball free kick. Opponent was streaming through the centre with at least 3-4m on him and he caught him within a few seconds. Think Super Gav chasing Farren Ray.

- Took a really courageous intercept contested mark in defense. Opponent hit him made him earn it - got back up and carried on like it was nothing.

- Did a really good job the whole game of presenting to the ball carrier and getting separation from his opponent to take the mark. Took one mark on the lead with his arms extended and his opponent breathing down his neck and it just stuck. Excellent mark.

- Hit the ball at pace at one stoppage, sold candy and kicked long. Blind freddy could see how explosive he is with his first few steps.

- Can win the ball in so many ways. Stoppage, contested in the air, clunking them on the lead, defensive pressure leading to a turnover, reads it off the pack really well.

Concluding statement: He didn't tear this game apart but the glimpses he continues to show are so bloody impressive. I've said it before but there's no other comparison than Dangerfield - he's so Dangerfield-like it's ridiculous. If anyone tells you Daicos is better than Horne, spit in their face.
Souup - what position would Horne play against GWS next week if he was eligible for the MSD and we selected him?

Also when he arrives with us next year how will it work with him and WiPhi - does Horne have the ability to play a forward role (which WiPhi does not seem to have). Is Horne straight into the starting midfield with Cunners and Jed or will he be behind LDU, Powell and Jy?

If anyone tells you Daicos is better than Horne, spit in their face.

I could tell that just by looking at the clips.

I won't be surprised if there's a few others that turn out better than Nick either, not to say he won't be a good player.

Horne vs Central

How does he compare with say Isaac Heeney as a mid sized player who can play mid and forward roles?

How does he compare with say Isaac Heeney as a mid sized player who can play mid and forward roles?

This strikes me as a solid comparison.

Will the kid ultimately be a utility or full time centre square mid.

I suspect North would have him straight in to the middle.

Horne vs Central

Reckon Horne has the op end speed of Danger? He is explosive, but I'm not sure he has top end speed of Danger. Those first couple of steps though...phwoar....

Definitely has similarities his with overhead marking and 1 on 1 ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back