Autopsy Round 16, 2021: Hawks fall over against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched it. Gets clipped in the mouth by Hardwick‘a hand. Literally an entire second later (he didn’t react to the initial impact) he throws the head back like he took a bullet. But the most comical thing about the whole situation was the free kick was for a holding the man decision for an action your players did all night.

10 minutes ago he barely touched his shoulder though?

we got beat by a better team, not much else to say, we're building and we have to be patient, you cant replace so many of the 22 and expect things to be rosey the next year, Bramble showed good signs and we missed Day and DGB, our midfield needs work, but it has improved with more depth.

the reaction to Rozee over acting a little was poor and the Mitchell bump was lame, either smash him or mouth off at him, a little bump for a goal, not long ago Lewis or Hodge would've knocked him into next month, i guess the game has changed.

Mitchell showed some glimpses at Box Hill today. He could be an x-factor.

Brockman put in a solid display and would have to be in the mix to play next week. We desperately need some speed and class inside 50.

Reeves is developing nicely in the VFL. There’s a lot more talent on the list that haven’t been sighted yet.
3 glimpses in total for Mitchell. Needs a lot more game time to blow out the cobwebs.

3 glimpses in total for Mitchell. Needs a lot more game time to blow out the cobwebs.

i cant remember any of his disposals except for a shot at goal in the first couple of minutes, i did see him lay a couple good tackles, but he was not very influential in his first game at the VFL level, just being honest.

I feel like a decision needs to be made regarding Lewis and Jeka as to who would be the better key forward option alongside Koschitzke.

Over the last four weeks, Koschitzke’s output has dropped off slightly because there’s no one taking the heat off him. He’s constantly double teamed having to go up against two defenders.

I feel like a decision needs to be made regarding Lewis and Jeka as to who would be the better key forward option alongside Koschitzke.

Over the last four weeks, Koschitzke’s output has dropped off slightly because there’s no one taking the heat off him. He’s constantly double teamed having to go up against two defenders.
Would like Jeka and Kosi to have a look together before I'd bring Lewis in

Have no idea why he was picked based off good form in the VFL in a different position, then played the same way he's proven he's not good at. Utterly baffling.
I think someone said before that they should have let him build confidence in twos for a wile longer and would have to agree.

I think he was sent to Aliir because he was just too fast and agile for McEvoy in the forward line. But as you say that was not the position he was brought in to play.

Well done to Silk - a player who has given us many memories through the years.

Onto the game and it was as expected: extremely slow and couldn't stick tackles in key parts. Removed the second quarter from my memory. Missed the Day and Scrimshaw partnership. Happy to give up any limb/s to Day for a quick comeback.

Few points from me
- Greaves and Nash are a no
- Love the look of Bramble
- Need some pace and X factor forward of centre
- Cegler too worried about the opposition ruck in the middle
- Hardwick is a star
- Need an explosive mid with good skills (hopefully pick 2)
- Hartigan has been solid and provides good leadership down back
- Scrimshaw gun
Round 1 ins next year Wingard,Day, Sicily, Impey, dgb, Gunston, Mitchell, Jeka, brockman, reeves, pick 2
It’s not all doom and gloom, we will get there but just have to be patient lads and ladettes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port abused McEvoy's lack of speed and agility when in the forward line and ran off him like he was a statue in the 2nd quarter. Same with Kozi and with Toby always being on the ground. They have speed in their defense, and we have none in our forward line.

This game gave a reality check as to how far off we are. Port aren't a premiership threat yet they railed us in just one good quarter of football and did enough to keep us at bay the rest of the way. They have us beaten for talent on all lines and these consolation wins against average sides that take it easy against us like Sydney sides only provide false hope that we're not that far off.

We battled mightily in the 3rd quarter but only put a couple of dents in their armour. While some will list who we have out, Port had plenty of talent in the stands too. We are still void of any serious young talent forward of the half-back line. Bramble was encouraging, Worpel was solid and Newcombe was okay, but these three aren't going to be the catalyst for a quick rise up the ladder without some serious top-end talent around the stoppages and forward of center.

Has to be Jeka. Lewis is far too slow and we can’t play Lewis, McEvoy and cegler/reeves

Real danger game for Port tonight - playing away against a much lower ranked team showing some recent form and a significant milestone game on the line.
They brought the heat early and snuffed out any emotion that the Hawks might have been relying on early.

We got monstered in the middle tonight - particularly in the first half.
TOM, JOM, Shiels etc were simply no match for the bigger bodies of Wines and SPP, and Lycett completely overpowered Cegs.
Made it very hard for our forwards to get a look in.
I would have liked to see CJ get given an opportunity in the center square to give us a bigger body for the center clearance.

To our credit we fought to get back into the game, but the damage was well and truly done.

Cant question the endeavor of the boys - just out muscled.

When you see the replay you'll feel a tad silly, he actually gets a decent punch in the face. Probably no suspension but a free kick for high or holding.
Mitch Lewis got a decent punch to the face and has been out for three weeks.

That was at best getting hit with a lettuce.

Port are a better side and we did well to stay within 6-7 goals. Both sides went in undermanned and both sides could have played a lot better.

Let's not dwell too much on the loss (as much as it stings) and celebrate a great football person in Burgoyne. 400 games is an incredible achievement and we should be proud as a club for being a part of it.

Don't know what was worse, our 2nd quarter or the state of umpiring. It stands out like dogs balls that this game is being poorly officiated.

If the AFL are serious about cracking down on Staging they give Rozee a 30k fine. Would stop things happening overnight.
I still want to know why the ump paid a throw against Frost when he had a direct view a few metres away of him clearly handballing it.

That decision is inexcusable.

Not an unexpected result really. We've played out some 4 quarter games since the bye which has been pleasing to see, but tonight was not one of them.

Our backline was still really good tonight despite having lost Day and Impey from it recently. But they're under the pump so often due to a failure to seize opportunities further up the ground. The defensive efforts from the midfield and forward line were good but when we turn it over going forward we really put ourselves under pressure.

We look so much better with Day because he lowers his eyes and hits up moving targets. Too much bombing it in again tonight. Would like to see Jeka come in to offer a lead in a different direction to Kosi to split the opposition defence.

Spent a bit of time watching Howe off the ball tonight. His value is coming in the form of directing teammates into position out on the wing to help us when we switch the ball across half back, and also in defence when the opposition is trying to switch. Some of our players look a bit lost but he was constantly shouting instructions and pointing out where they needed to move/stand.

Serious questions regarding their spot on the list at years end for the following:
- Nash;
- Hanrahan;
- TOB (i know i pot him a lot, and that mark was amazing last week but we're playing him on his 'potential' output rather than true output;
- Shiels (maybe give one more but know he would be playing at Box Hill a lot);
- Mcevoy;
- Greaves;
- Cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back