Autopsy Round 16, 2021: Hawks fall over against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

cegs had 19 disposlas and 5 marks in the ones v's reeves who had less dispaosals and ony 2 marks in the twos. He may be the future, but Cegs does not deserve to make way just yet. He was serviceable last night. Reeves wins the ruck, but nowhere near the player around the ground yet. Shows promise though.

I’d rather a ruck that gives our mids first use of the ball than a guy that shy’s from the contest and accumulates possessions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Game was won and lost in the midfield. Port Adelaide dominated clearances. Ceglar was well beaten by Lycett in ruck contests and Ceglar's work around the ground doesn't make up for that. He wasn't the only one at fault, as the midfielders needed to take responsibility for the ease with which Port Adelaide could walk the ball out of the middle at times in the first and second quarter.

Frost was well beaten by Dixon and I'm bemused that the Hawks didn't switch the match ups of Hartigan on Marshall and Frost on Dixon at any time during the game. In a relatively low scoring game, Dixon's four goals was a standout.

Was pleased with the way Bramble played, especially in the first half. Showing positive signs of development. Newcombe tried hard but I still feel that he is a step too slow for AFL. Hopefully as he gets some attention from the strength and conditioning coaches, he will adapt to the speed of the AFL game.

I'm bemused by the way in which Clarkson chose to use Nash last night. He can't play the half forward role, but languishes there for a half of football before he gets moved onto Aliir in the third quarter then finally given a run on the ball in the last. If he is going to make it, then he needs to be given a chance to play at the AFL level what he excelled at in the VFL. And it isn't exactly like our midfield couldn't use someone with his physical attributes.

Yeah I expected the matchups to be the opposite heading into the match, somewhat surprised me that Clarko went that way.

I’d rather a ruck that gives our mids first use of the ball than a guy that shy’s from the contest and accumulates possessions.

If I was an opposition coach in the lead up to playing Hawthorn I would be saying to my ruck- “run in aggressive and get your knee high and attack Ceglar physically at every moment you can”

Agree. I shudder when he has ball in hand.
He is deadset lazy with his kicking. Had an opportunity in the fourth to drive us forward. Even for a poor kick just needed to boot it long down the line. Instead he chose to do an end over end kick that dropped well short to a Port player.

What a pathetic first half, we were completely exposed on all fronts. The great man deserved much better than that.

The second half was pleasing. Though it did feel as if Port took their foot off the pedal somewhat.

At the end of the day a comfortable (for Port) six goal loss seemed about right given the players we were missing. But that first half effort leaves a sour taste.

I got the feeling that second half was about injury prevention for port rather than us all of the sudden working out some magical formula.

The first half was a nightmare/ horrible. I have read some comments such as “if only we kicked straight or the umpires gave us a better run”.

Honestly Port did not excite me one bit. if we didn’t come out with the intensity and effort that looked like a practice game, that game was there for the taking.

Clarko in the presser suggested we couldn’t handle the occasion...

I reckon Burgoyne would have been flatter than a pancake last night with the overall performance .

cegs had 19 disposlas and 5 marks in the ones v's reeves who had less dispaosals and ony 2 marks in the twos. He may be the future, but Cegs does not deserve to make way just yet. He was serviceable last night. Reeves wins the ruck, but nowhere near the player around the ground yet. Shows promise though.
Maybe we keep Ceglar in the team and partner him with Reeves.

“It looked like we were overwhelmed by the occasion to be fair," Clarkson said.

"We made so many errors with the ball in hand, some of that to do with Port's pressure but some was just to do with us being too frantic with the footy when we had a chance to have composure and keep the ball.

"If anything, strangely enough, it was like our lads were trying too hard and we lost our balance a lot in general play and around stoppage just by playing like bees to the honeypot and trying too hard to go and get the ball.

"They ultimately made us pay because of that but we've learnt some valuable lessons all the time.

"We certainly weren't disappointed with our players though - how can you be disappointed when your players are trying too hard?"

You can put a line through a game when Nash is selected, scrap the Irish experiment.

Ceglar is fools gold, plays a few okay games before returning to the contact fearing ruck we saw again last night.

We need to play Reeves, this also means we need to expect opposition exploit McEvoy’s lack of pace like last night. Unfortunately for Jeka we won’t drop McEvoy, it would be nice to see Kosi & Jeka get a block of games together.

On Cegs - Fools gold pretty much sums it up.

What seems to have run under the radar is that we have two aging rucks with only one young replacement. Then if that young replacement (Reeves) goes down we are in strife. If we are all looking to 2023 as the year we start to challenge with only one viable ruck then we have a serious weakness. Unfortunately a lot of potential young rucks went in the mid season draft so I can see a hole appearing in this space going forward.

Lets get Reeves in for the rest of the year working with Newcome and Bramble, and Jeka in alongside Kosi so they can start to build some chemistry.

Will Day is the backbone of the Hawks and we get a bit squishy without him.

We looked like such a better and exciting team against the Swans, Bombers and GWS when he was in

He not only cuts off opposition attacks, he turns them into damaging rebounds with his run and ball use.

But with him out, it was back to a lot of chip, chip struggles to get out of defence against Port.
Can we play Day and Sicily on the same half back line?

I was actually going to say last night that they were trying too hard to get stuck in...it made us disorganised.

Not to mention how it gave us the worst fumbles we've had this year (or at least on a par with our game against the Tigers)

Can we play Day and Sicily on the same half back line?

Sure why not. Both elite players with high footy IQ (one just lets his emotions spill over at times).

They'll work it out and could be really damaging - Sicily with his marking and kicking and Day with his run-and-carry and decision-making.

Oh man, the same old O'Brien apologists have been reeling out the same, tired, lame-arse old excuses, slogans and cliches about it for almost a decade. It's the old 'repeat the same lie to yourself enough and it'll become truth in your mind' syndrome....
Lol don't be a flog mate.

He was from our worst. Do you disagree? How about providing an actual response instead posting dribble.

I'm not a TOB fan either so your post is pretty crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was an opposition coach in the lead up to playing Hawthorn I would be saying to my ruck- “run in aggressive and get your knee high and attack Ceglar physically at every moment you can”
Cegs game was rated higher than Lycett (if you follow afl ratings). He had more dispaosals than all other Hawthorn mids, except Mitchell and Worpel. That includes Bramble, who people have been pumping up (rightly). I am not a cegs apologist, however, credit where it is due please.

Nash probably wasn't used in the midfield because the midfield pace at AFL level is infinitely faster than VFL level and even more so in the midfield than any other position; something that Nash has always struggled with at AFL level. That in itself makes his selection ridiculous.

As for those bemoaning Rozee's staging, are you always on the toilet or something when Wingard does it because I never hear any complaining about it when it's him.

I haven't posted in a long time but I've started to doubt Clarkson and his decisions and non-decisions.

- Ball movement is slow. He needs to teach everyone behind the ball to develop on both sides, move the ball quicker and shift the defence.
- Midfield and clearances is the source of the problems. He has too much trust in Bolton and does not mix it up more for mine. We need footy brains in the middle not athletes.
- Persisting with Nash and Ceglar. He has lost his ruthlessness. Nice stories but we've moved to the next chapter.
- Mid year has signed a rebuild and development mode. I've like the previous week debutants but he needs to experiment more. Poor selection inclusions.
- 2004-2008 Clarko mentally vs 2020-2021 mentally is different. When he started his theme was we are building and a long way off whereas now its opposition played better than us. Expose the team or players to at least some media scrutiny.
- Cannot get the team up for Burgoyne occasion.
- He needs to be more ruthless even with his assistance coaches.

My other rants
- JOM thinks he has the strength of Dusty and tries to do too much. Keep it simple and move the ball on and be in motion.
- Mitchell should only be the link player and not the quarter back. Does and ineffective job in taking ground position in defence.
- Nash is a liability up forward. Does not tackle only corrales the defender who uses this time to spot a developing target. Has no weapons or not smart enough to use them. Josh Morris, Tyler Brockman, Hanrahan, Jeka or even Callow should've of been given a look in for a forward position.
- Waste of time thinking Nash can develop in the midfield. Does not have a footy brain and does not hurt opponents.
- Daman Greaves is too defensively minded and easily manipulated.
- JK needs to develop field kicking and other aspects of his game.

Re Nash- The club has invested 5 years into bringing a kid over from Ireland.

It has been a tough slog.

16 possessions is his career high.

2 goals as a forward is his career high.

He has never had a set position. Been tried at HB, HF, Wing. Been tried as a midfielder at Box Hill.

When you relocate a kid from overseas there is extra pressure on the club to ensure he is looked after.

You would assume it’s all coming to the pointy end right now about his future.

Hope we remember Connor Rozee next time we play them. Was one of the worst acts of staging I’ve seen. Barely touched across the shoulder and threw his head back like he was shot.
It was a free kick for holding the man not high. Go watch the reply. In any case he got a fist to the face. Both free kicks were there. Massive overreaction from the Hawthorn supporters.

It was a free kick for holding the man not high. Go watch the reply. In any case he got a fist to the face. Both free kicks were there. Massive overreaction from the Hawthorn supporters.

I was quite a few beers deep that night. In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have posted it. Still it is the Hawthorn board and a decent amount of mayo from Rozee. Wingard does similar things (needs to stamp it out) but for some reason doesn't get those frees anymore.

I haven't posted in a long time but I've started to doubt Clarkson and his decisions and non-decisions.

- Ball movement is slow. He needs to teach everyone behind the ball to develop on both sides, move the ball quicker and shift the defence.
- Midfield and clearances is the source of the problems. He has too much trust in Bolton and does not mix it up more for mine. We need footy brains in the middle not athletes.
- Persisting with Nash and Ceglar. He has lost his ruthlessness. Nice stories but we've moved to the next chapter.
- Mid year has signed a rebuild and development mode. I've like the previous week debutants but he needs to experiment more. Poor selection inclusions.
- 2004-2008 Clarko mentally vs 2020-2021 mentally is different. When he started his theme was we are building and a long way off whereas now its opposition played better than us. Expose the team or players to at least some media scrutiny.

My other rants
- JOM thinks he has the strength of Dusty and tries to do too much. Keep it simple and move the ball on and be in motion.
- Mitchell should only be the link player and not the quarter back. Does and ineffective job in taking ground position in defence.
- Nash is a liability up forward. Does not tackle only corrales the defender who uses this time to spot a developing target. Has no weapons or not smart enough to use them. Josh Morris, Tyler Brockman, Hanrahan, Jeka or even Callow should've of been given a look in for a forward position.
- Waste of time thinking Nash can develop in the midfield. Does not have a footy brain and does not hurt opponents.

This a really good post.

the part about picking players up who can use it both sides is crucial.

Day has shown us how you can open up a whole ground if you can use the ball on both feet.

we seem to have a stack of players who get stuck in poor positions on the ground who cannot kick on both sides and end up going backwards or hack kicking it over there head 25 metres to try and get out of trouble.

You part about assistant coach’s is interesting. We need a change in the midfield coaching and structure quick smart.

We play a ruck who never gets first use and a group of players at his feet that cannot work there way through the puzzle. When we actually get it we are always running the wrong way and going backwards 40 metres to try and find some space or blindly hack kicking it forward.

Omeara Worpel and Mitchell is a huge amount of money invested for us to not be much better in this area of the ground.

I think enough supporters have acknowledged there was a free kick. The way he threw his head back is that upsets the opposition supporters.

I think Wingard is guilty of this and would also say he gets a pretty bad run from the umpires. Do you think there is a correlation there? I normally have words at the TV when he does it. Have loved your man’s first few years but surely you couldn’t be happy with him throwing his head back like that?

Lol don't be a flog mate.

He was from our worst. Do you disagree? How about providing an actual response instead posting dribble.

I'm not a TOB fan either so your post is pretty crap.
Can certainly identify with what Roddy is trying to say. It must be disheartening for a midfielder to absorb the punishment in breaking out of a pack then kick to a target with almost a 100% chance of him being rag-dolled or cast-aside in a body-on-body contest. When that target does finally get a metre on his opponent and takes a grab he dually kicks it out of bounds on the full - In defence of Roddy please appreciate 8 years of frustration ....

My other rants
Sometimes the other team are just better then you or in this case us.
Think most tipsters would have selected the Power with a degree of confidence.

Last week we had really good ball movement and played quite an attractive nice brand.
Out of that side we lost some class players who were replaced with depth players.
We just didnt have the cattle to pull that off.

Clarko is a great coach but unfortunately he isnt a magician .
Have seen plenty of sides lose milestone games

Totally agree. Don’t understand why anyone would bother booing a player even if he did stage for the odd free kick.... I would suggest the booing was born from frustration of our own poor performance on the night.

We have had Poppy and now Dylan Moore who both duck under tackles to win the free for high contact and also Wingard who is always jumping around trying to milk a free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back