Autopsy Round 16, 2021: Hawks fall over against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

When you see the replay you'll feel a tad silly, he actually gets a decent punch in the face.

I've been to Alberton. Nobody I met there would call that footage "a decent punch in the face".

I don't think Hawthorn fans thought there was zero contact. It was his massive overreaction and pitiful attempt to draw the umpire's attention to it that the Hawthorn fans took issue with.

Clearly a stager. Still young, so hopefully he still has time to stamp that out of his game.

Most of you are sleeping on Hartigan, he’s having a great first season for us and was BOG tonight for me. I was at the ground and he did some brilliant stuff, don’t remember him losing a genuine 1v1.

We tend to have a wait and see attitude with ex-crow players. Took many a while to notice Ricky Henderson was actually pretty decent.

Most of you are sleeping on Hartigan, he’s having a great first season for us and was BOG tonight for me. I was at the ground and he did some brilliant stuff, don’t remember him losing a genuine 1v1.
I've noticed he's been playing with a lot more discipline since he's returned from suspension. Still tries to "make them earn it" but he's been far more subtle in doing so.

He also demonstrated a surprising amount of agility and finesse during the 4th quarter when he shimmied his way through traffic and then hit up a target with a low trajectory checkside kick down the line. Had a lot of Stewie Dew '08 GF energy about it.

Love Frosty but thought that was one of his worse games.
Agree. I shudder when he has ball in hand. Unless there is a lockdown role for him, i think he gets pushed out when DGB is ready.

Can he play as a forward or is he set shot rubbish?

Almost O’Brien was back tonight
Not sure what game you were watching but he was in our best 10 tonight. Starved of opportunities in the 1st half but played well in the 2nd half. Aside from the OOF I thought he was solid.

We had only one genuine line breaking run and carry (take the game on) player in our team tonight (Jiath) and that is one of the reasons why we played such slow stagnant footy especially in the 1st half. Day and Impey are huge losses in that area. Hoping Mitchell and Downie can give us a huge boost in that regard next year and why I am so keen on us to draft Josh Sinn.

Agree. I shudder when he has ball in hand. Unless there is a lockdown role for him, i think he gets pushed out when DGB is ready.

Can he play as a forward or is he set shot rubbish?
There is no excuse for hack kicks when you are as quick as he is. I don’t mind the odd turnover when he takes the game on. Thought the Dixon match up was a bit odd. Hartigan was a much better option.

There is no excuse for hack kicks when you are as quick as he is. I don’t mind the odd turnover when he takes the game on. Thought the Dixon match up was a bit odd. Hartigan was a much better option.
I think the problem with Frosty is his decision making. Gets himself into trouble and then panics.

I've noticed he's been playing with a lot more discipline since he's returned from suspension. Still tries to "make them earn it" but he's been far more subtle in doing so.

He also demonstrated a surprising amount of agility and finesse during the 4th quarter when he shimmied his way through traffic and then hit up a target with a low trajectory checkside kick down the line. Had a lot of Stewie Dew '08 GF energy about it.
Yep, thought he was good tonight.
Although, I would've been happy if he made Rozee 'earn it' at some point.

Serious questions regarding their spot on the list at years end for the following:
- Nash;
- Hanrahan;
- TOB (i know i pot him a lot, and that mark was amazing last week but we're playing him on his 'potential' output rather than true output;
- Shiels (maybe give one more but know he would be playing at Box Hill a lot);
- Mcevoy;
- Greaves;
- Cousins.
Big boy??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 2022

IN
Gunston
Sicily
Wingard
Impey
Day
Grainger-Barras
Lewis
Brockman
Reeves
Pick 2 or 3
+Jeka

When you consider that 5 of those guys are among our top 7-8 players + DGB - we're not going too badly.
Not rolling over, seeing a few good things from younger players and tinkering with tactics.

This is a good development year.

The use of Nash was baffling. He’s a hopeless forward, we know that. But he’s big and fast and earned a spot dominating in the midfield. We lack size and speed in the midfield. So we bring him into the seniors and let him rot in the forward line while the midfield gets smashed. Makes no sense. Either don’t play him or give him a proper go in the midfield

Pretty harsh considering we had 13 inside 50s for the first half. Reckon he is gonna be a player.
I’m not commentating on his potential. He plays behind far too much. Almost exclusively. The goal he got was due to him reacting to a kick where he started behind. He didn’t lead, it was just lucky that he was watching the ball and burton was not paying attention. By starting behind he lets defenders take away his best asset, his pace.

The use of Nash was baffling. He’s a hopeless forward, we know that. But he’s big and fast and earned a spot dominating in the midfield. We lack size and speed in the midfield. So we bring him into the seniors and let him rot in the forward line while the midfield gets smashed. Makes no sense. Either don’t play him or give him a proper go in the midfield

The coaching is to blame here for the same results with Nash. Just downright stupid when the midfield was beaten ALL night.
He earned a right to get a run in there, especially in the second quarter when our play was just embarrassing as there was nothing to loose and everything to gain to find out of a 197cm midfielder could get some ball away from Wines and Boak.
Have a look at the clearance numbers for the game and apply that to a 4 quarter stint running through the middle.

Sh1tjouse coaching to the point of ridiculous.

Love what was delivered last week with endeavour and skill from the players and it really does paint a bright future when everyone is healthy.
This week was a bewildering contest where the premium was to defend grass and wait for someone else to do something.
Rank game, rank coaching and all on a night that deserved a * load better for one of the most brilliant players to be at the club.

Thought we look overawed with the occasion and played accordingly .
Our handballing in that first half was as bad as you will see .

They put pressure on us , were cleaner and looked quicker and more physical in the contest .

Bramble was great . Each game he has done a few extra nice things and I thought his first half last night was great amongst the madness going on .
2nd half far better .

No suprise we played like we lacked class and polish when you see who was out .

All part of the rebuild and another reason we need to nail this draft and get a few more jets in .

Was comforting watching Silk highlights for about an hour after the game .
What a legend .

You can put a line through a game when Nash is selected, scrap the Irish experiment.

Ceglar is fools gold, plays a few okay games before returning to the contact fearing ruck we saw again last night.

We need to play Reeves, this also means we need to expect opposition exploit McEvoy’s lack of pace like last night. Unfortunately for Jeka we won’t drop McEvoy, it would be nice to see Kosi & Jeka get a block of games together.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back