Preview Round 19: Essendon vs Greater Western Sydney, Carrara, Sunday 25/07/2021 @ 6:10 PM

Whomst dost thouest thinketh will have a higher score?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our best 22 is that battered that i think a 60% Dylan Shiel is far better than the alternative 23rd player that would play if he was to play a 14v14 scratch match

Its all very specific to the individual though. He may have got the kms up at training.

Dunkley came back after 12 weeks out

Shiel has more kms and preseasons in him then all these guys

Id rather pick D.Shiel over a Dev Smith or Durham for example i think that gives us a greater chance of winning.

Also dont really see what your going to get out of a 14 v 14 scratch match

Our best 22 is that battered that i think a 60% Dylan Shiel is far better than the alternative 23rd player that would play if he was to play a 14v14 scratch match

Its all very specific to the individual though. He may have got the kms up at training.

Id rather pick D.Shiel over a Dev Smith or Durham for example i think that gives us a greater chance of winning.

Dunkley did a shoulder though, Shiel did a knee, so his running load would have been non-existent for at time. Maybe he's back at an acceptable level, and given his track record, Shiel would be the one ensuring he went about his recovery and preparation at a high standard.

Weird flex mate.

Has drastically increased the value of the broadcast rights, and has improved the youth participation in their regions. Both of which are extremely positive for the AFL long-term.
Congratulations to the game. In doing so have killed a heartland in Tassie by not funding it. Still find watching teams devoid of any soul extremely boring and am surprised that anyone can know who got injured in one of their blockbuster clashes. If you enjoy a watered down commercial version of the game that's totally up to you I guess 👍

Congratulations to the game. In doing so have killed a heartland in Tassie by not funding it. Still find watching teams devoid of any soul extremely boring and am surprised that anyone can know who got injured in one of their blockbuster clashes. If you enjoy a watered down commercial version of the game that's totally up to you I guess 👍

Yeah mate, bring back the VFL I say. All those soulful games at Windy Hill.

I've got a recollection of him suffering migraines, but not sure if / how they relate to concussion at all to even guess whether he's likely to play. GWS will lean towards him playing given their season sits on a bit of a precipice and they need to win if they want to play finals.
Well I heard this info in the context of how long he’d be out for. So I’m guessing it is relevant.

The AFLX was a concept game designed to show how it might work when played on soccer pitches. Weird flex, again.
Coming from a place of wanting proper investment in Tasmanian footy and a local team down there, his position on the matter of investing instead in GWS/GC/AFLX isn't that unexpected?

Coming from a place of wanting proper investment in Tasmanian footy and a local team down there, his position on the matter of investing instead in GWS/GC/AFLX isn't that unexpected?

I get why Tasmanians would be shitted off, and I agree there should be a Tassie side, it's just a weird sequence of criticisms when the business case for both GWS and GCS have been pretty well met, and AFLX isn't really relevant at all.

The AFLX was a concept game designed to show how it might work when played on soccer pitches. Weird flex, again.
Don't wrek with my flex homes. Everyones entitled to have interest or not in something if they like bud. I'd rather go to the ashes that see the kiddy hit and giggle. Sorry but I can't help comment when someone mentions those to powerhouses of the game. Remember that time they played a few years back...

No

I get why Tasmanians would be shitted off, and I agree there should be a Tassie side, it's just a weird sequence of criticisms when the business case for both GWS and GCS have been pretty well met, and AFLX isn't really relevant at all.
It's a vibe thing. Nothing to do with cash money 👍

Don't wrek with my flex homes. Everyones entitled to have interest or not in something if they like bud. I'd rather go to the ashes that see the kiddy hit and giggle. Sorry but I can't help comment when someone mentions those to powerhouses of the game. Remember that time they played a few years back...

No

GWS had more members than Brisbane last year, GCS and GWS average about the same crowd number as North. They're equivalent to the more boutique Victorian sides, or if I was to guess, what Tasmania would settle on being. 15 - 20k crowds, 25k - 30k members. They've brought a truckload of money to the game, increased the youth participation in areas that weren't already AFL areas, and over time, will become very real clubs with very real life-long supporters.

Tasmania should very much be on the menu, but GWS & GCS aren't the reason it's not happened. The State Government was forking out cash to North & Hawthorn, the residents were already members of AFL clubs, from a business perspective, it's easy to see why the AFL went the path they did. The problem they now have is, with the State Government starting to push hard for their own side, do they entertain a 19 club league, find a 20th club somewhere, or relocate an existing side (almost definitely not North Melbourne given they have no debt so can't be forced anywhere).

AFLX has literally nothing to do with anything, it was a concept trial to see how AFL might work on soccer pitches, which are common in places that aren't Australia, and at schools.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS had more members than Brisbane last year, GCS and GWS average about the same crowd number as North. They're equivalent to the more boutique Victorian sides, or if I was to guess, what Tasmania would settle on being. 15 - 20k crowds, 25k - 30k members. They've brought a truckload of money to the game, increased the youth participation in areas that weren't already AFL areas, and over time, will become very real clubs with very real life-long supporters.

Tasmania should very much be on the menu, but GWS & GCS aren't the reason it's not happened. The State Government was forking out cash to North & Hawthorn, the residents were already members of AFL clubs, from a business perspective, it's easy to see why the AFL went the path they did. The problem they now have is, with the State Government starting to push hard for their own side, do they entertain a 19 club league, find a 20th club somewhere, or relocate an existing side (almost definitely not North Melbourne given they have no debt so can't be forced anywhere).

AFLX has literally nothing to do with anything, it was a concept trial to see how AFL might work on soccer pitches, which are common in places that aren't Australia, and at schools.
All of that's very correct but they are still killing the tribal nature of the game and half the matches are unwatchable. They could have at least moved north to GC and when starting new clubs use the Port model. Port have a history therefore less boring. Just my opinion.

All of that's very correct but they are still killing the tribal nature of the game and half the matches are unwatchable. They could have at least moved north to GC and when starting new clubs use the Port model. Port have a history therefore less boring. Just my opinion.

GC should have been Southport, not a relocated NM, not a new club. Would have been pretty similar to how Port came in to the league.

Fremantle worked, because the area itself was a strong AFL area, similar to what Tasmania would be.

I've seen plenty of truly s**t games between Carlton and Melbourne over the last decade, despite all their history and tribal nature, whilst some cracking games between GWS and the Bulldogs, despite the lack of history, so I disagree on whether it's particularly relevant.

We haven't been here for a while but generally teams looking to secure a top 8 spot on the ladder in a must win game bring in top 10 players after long layoffs without a VFL game - Shiel in!

The difference in these things is always the people. Port were a powerhouse state team with a competent administration and passionate supporters. There was nothing like that on the GC on the level that Port had. QLD is viewed as a developing market and so the approach required is different.

Fair enough if you don’t connect with Gold Coast or GWS. I don’t particularly either, and I think GC’s branding is poor, which matters, but that can be developed as time goes on. For example, the Port and Fremantle guernseys are much better now than they were at launch. While Freo’s was kind of cool, it would look outdated by today’s standards. Gold Coast’s red and yellow mix looks pretty bad, but again it can be evolved. The important thing is there’s something established now, and it will take a fair amount of time for the clubs to develop their own DNA or “soul” as you put it.

I don’t watch their games really, but I’m still glad they’re there. I agree Tassie should have its own team too.

Or maybe Marvel if restrictions are lifted in Vic by Sunday, unlikely but not completely out of the picture just yet.
You would prefer the Bombers to fly out on Friday & play an evening game @ Marvel infront of no fans than a half full stadium Bombers crowd just an hour down the road?

:p Sydney isn't playing GMHBA?
Nope

The Sydney-Fremantle game slated for Saturday afternoon at GMHBA Stadium will take its place in the Sunday afternoon slot and be played at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast at 12.30pm EST.

Sydney, Greater Western Sydney and Essendon remain in Queensland given the COVID-19 situations in Victoria and New South Wales with the Bombers-Giants game to be played on Sunday at a venue and time yet to be determined

GC should have been Southport, not a relocated NM, not a new club. Would have been pretty similar to how Port came in to the league.

Fremantle worked, because the area itself was a strong AFL area, similar to what Tasmania would be.

I've seen plenty of truly sh*t games between Carlton and Melbourne over the last decade, despite all their history and tribal nature, whilst some cracking games between GWS and the Bulldogs, despite the lack of history, so I disagree on whether it's particularly relevant.
I'd still watch Carlton and Melbourne over two franchise teams and day of the week. I'm in my 40's you won't convince me 😂

I'd still watch Carlton and Melbourne over two franchise teams and day of the week. I'm in my 40's you won't convince me 😂

Seems you're watching based off some form of emotion, not the quality of the actual game then. GWS v Bulldogs have had some absolutely cracking games the last 5 years. GCS was mismanaged early on, but Rowell will be brilliant to watch if he gets a clear run at it.

If you want to bury your head in the sand, refer to them as franchise teams, and pretend they won't exist, I guess that's your call.

Doing your shoulder and injuring your knee are two totally different things. Last week wasn’t a 14 v 14 scratch, it was a full on game, just two teams making up a side to take on a full side. The same will be organized this week.

Doing your shoulder and injuring your knee are two totally different things. Last week wasn’t a 14 v 14 scratch, it was a full on game, just two teams making up a side to take on a full side. The same will be organized this week.
Where did you see that? I haven't seen any information about who played aside from North Melbourne's twitter, which only acknowledged the existence of one player.

Where did you see that? I haven't seen any information about who played aside from North Melbourne's twitter, which only acknowledged the existence of one player.
We played the lions vfl team, they had a full squad, proper goal and field umpiring used. They had 9-10 blokes play we had Bryan, McBride, Eyre, Brand, bzt, hird, Clarke, Johnson, Cahill, Francis and zaharakis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back