AFL Autopsy RND 19: Beaten by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical Essendon moves bringing back Shiel after no conditioning in the reserves and dropping Guelfi for Zaka despite Guelf doing a decent job last week. A real throwback to 2019.

Collective work rate by our midfield was diabolical and Wright was the only guy in the forward line who consistently led at the ball carrier all night. We've gone backwards in the space of 2 weeks and backwards in a big way.

Lost the game at the selection table. Literally the worst side we've fielded all year. Zaharakis, Ham, Cutler & Hooker are not AFL level. The fact that Guelfi who puts in 100% every week didn't get selected over any of them actually makes me sick.
Add Dev Smith to that list, that Durham comes in from the VFL from the mid season draft and is one of our better players in his first 2 games is great scouting but a bit of a concern for our list

Zaharakis, Ham, Smith and Cutler in our bottom few? What a shock.

Look forward to seeing them all stick around in the 1’s next weekend and seeing Archie get dropped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone feel that maybe our players are a little peeved about being stuck in QLD and perhaps lost a bit of care factor? Just a thought. It’s not an excuse for that effort by our midfield though.

I get all the anger and frustration. But for a side tipped to be bottom 4 this year id say we are going ok.

Get around them
this post makes me sick- not personal just the sentiment of it
if you get a chance to play finals you absolutely take it
1993 showed that you take your opportunities
tonight showed
zac Merrett is no Gary odonnell
dyson Heppell is no mark harvey
tippa is no Michael long
cale hooker is no Paul salmon
we have no leadership
we have A losing mentality that seems to permeate through our club
the above statement is symptomatic of this

We have been flat for 3 weeks.

No pressure today. GWS got to space too easily, we didn't push up enough defensively.

Roos & GWS stifled our run through the middle. stop start possession game not our thing.

Lost the game at the selection table. Literally the worst side we've fielded all year. Zaharakis, Ham, Cutler & Hooker are not AFL level. The fact that Guelfi who puts in 100% every week didn't get selected over any of them actually makes me sick.

100% - when’s the last time Zakka played a game as well as Guelfi last week? It doesn’t make sense.

To be fair, Heppel, Ridley and Merrett were our three leading ball winners tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ridley was good the other two were bog average
heppell is shaky with the ball
merrett has not got the size or physicality to influence a game when things are poor
bontempelli is the bulldogs leader and premium midfielder
zac Merrett is ours
no fault of zac but they are the facts

It's not at all why we lost, but after they've got a lot of selections right across the year, I'd really love to know why Smith and Zaharakis are considered walkup starts.
I thought Smith's effort was much higher than previous weeks. He at least tried to chase and pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back