Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Daly was our strategy coach. When he moved upstairs, we brought in Stone as our strategy coach.

As I mentioned before, there are articles about Fagan’s and Noble’s roles in the coaches box.

Fagan talked about when he was head of football at Hawthorn, his role in the coaches box was often to be a calming influence for Clarkson and provide a sounding board, rather than provide direction.

If your head of football has to step up and talk tactics, plan B, etc, you’ve got the wrong head coach and/or assistant coaches.
I get all of that-Noble did come with a highly regarded reputation for game day strategy in the box at Adelaide.

I read an article when Noble first come up here about when he was in the box at Adelaide that his main thing that he concentrated on was data analysis, stats, analytics maybe? to try and see momentum swings in games via numbers before they show on any scoreboard and to pass that info onto the Coaching staff to make adjustments before things get out of control.
I know the article you are referring to. Noble specifically mentions he brought his stats guy with him from Adelaide.

But he mentioned that when stats start showing patterns within the game, it’s often to late to make changes to stem the tide.

Dale Tapping has been linked to the Pies if not as the senior coach as the senior assistant he’ll be a massive loss for the Lions
It has been posted around here that he was planning to make the move back to melbourne in the not too distant future

Good to hear Mark Stone on the Roar Deal - spoke well and was very logical and grounded - he came to us very highly regarded and no doubt will be a better fit in 2022 after a year with us this year.

And yet Noble went to North as a "father figure" type coach instead of more effectively being used as a strategy coach......

Maybe, maybe not but you could use the same logic with Clarko and Fages's departure...Hawks turned to sh*t after Fages left.

No point engaging with trolls who pretend to have the inside scoop but are blatantly lying to seem in the know.

Everyone at the club knew noble was the brains and fagan is the father figure. Noble is a huge loss. Without him we are severely inhibited.

I very much doubt that given coaching was not Noble's day job.

If Tapping leaves this year I think there is scope to bring in a new midfield coach that can add a bit more flexibility to our approach through the middle of the ground. With the cuts last year and the changes this year I think there will be a few good options on the market. With a year in the job I am also hoping Stone feels more comfortable bringing new ideas to the table.

Personally I would be looking at what Sydney did this year and the changes that Pyke brought with him when he came onboard. Get someone in to do a job and listen to them.

Everyone at the club knew noble was the brains and fagan is the father figure. Noble is a huge loss. Without him we are severely inhibited.

I hope you're taking the piss here.

If not, yes, Noble was a big loss but I don't think many others will agree with the rest of what you've said. Unless you have close contacts at the club you really can't make any statements like that can you? We've had a good 3 years, Noble was a part of that but he's not anymore, the club has moved on. We have a good list, our bottom 6 players are getting tested ATM and we're out of form and it sucks but a few bad games doesn't worry me in the context of our last 3 years and where our list is at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not just Coach and plan B. I really like a Plan B, C , D etc

It also having the cattle to do it.. Or the cattle playing well and in the right space.
We have a lot of players down and injured..
Good teams cover.. we seem not to be able to now

Mids
Neale,Clugga and Lyons try although not big or fast and miss tackles. Neale seems pretty banged up.
Bailey young runs more one way.
Zorko had a good year although can go missing.
Was looking for Rayner to float through mid as a impact player.. nope.
Cockatoo got his first game. You think they would of hoped he played earlier.
Sharp was getting games early to give us some run then injured
Berry just back now and out of form
Robbo had good games although goes missing chunks of games.
Dev young although showed something.
McCarthy been ok.. Although he a B-C grade mid and when up field we miss him in forward line.
Then I think they were hoping Charlie do some mid minutes.. Charlie seemed not to want to do them

Backline missing a few players Payne/Dizzy/Adams/Lester not sure every available at the same time
Answerth been gone all year.
Here I say we need to work on coaching wise.. Stagnant out of backline, players upfield seem not to move
we slow to down too much from here then normally down the line.

Forward line
Hipwood gone was our best tall forward. competed brought the ball down
Charlie seems not to have his head in it.. Problems offield he only human
Joe is Joe.. Frustrating sometimes brilliant the next
Both not really doing much defensively the ball just comes out our forward 50 easy
So do you drop one or both? probably not although does not help.
So who is left.. Fullarton young and trying.. AhChee playing more defensive to make up for Joe/Charlie.
Hawks tagged Linc
Which left McStay

Bailey is getting a fair bit of criticism in various threads for one way running. Personally I think this is misguided and think it is more a function of the role he is being asked to play. He has been a goal scoring threat this year and I think the coaching staff have positioned him to play in the front three quarters of the park and push forward hard when we get it.

When he came into the team he played a lot in the defensive three quarters of the park and was often noticeable covering very deep in defence. I am not sure who is covering this role in the current team but I don't think they are doing it as well as Bailey was.

What has fallen away with Bailey lately imo has been his tackling. He is rushing it up and throwing out an arm and getting brushed entirely too often. The whole team and Bailey in particular need to get back to the technique they had earlier in the year. Stick the tackles and the pressure goes up a lot.

Bailey is getting a fair bit of criticism in various threads for one way running. Personally I think this is misguided and think it is more a function of the role he is being asked to play. He has been a goal scoring threat this year and I think the coaching staff have positioned him to play in the front three quarters of the park and push forward hard when we get it.

When he came into the team he played a lot in the defensive three quarters of the park and was often noticeable covering very deep in defence. I am not sure who is covering this role in the current team but I don't think they are doing it as well as Bailey was.

What has fallen away with Bailey lately imo has been his tackling. He is rushing it up and throwing out an arm and getting brushed entirely too often. The whole team and Bailey in particular need to get back to the technique they had earlier in the year. Stick the tackles and the pressure goes up a lot.
honestly I think his role is to run forward of the ball and impact.
Although with Neale, Clugga and Lyon not the speediest. If we do not get the ball
Have no one apart from Zorko with speed to run back.
If we had another mid with some speed it help. Although Neale, Lyons and Clugga all A grade you not dropping them.
Hence the problem is it coaching or cattle.

If we do not get it we just do not have to defensive run from the rest of midfield.
Oscar not at his best carrying a injury as well.. So not always getting first hand on ball

I hope you're taking the piss here.

If not, yes, Noble was a big loss but I don't think many others will agree with the rest of what you've said. Unless you have close contacts at the club you really can't make any statements like that can you? We've had a good 3 years, Noble was a part of that but he's not anymore, the club has moved on. We have a good list, our bottom 6 players are getting tested ATM and we're out of form and it sucks but a few bad games doesn't worry me in the context of our last 3 years and where our list is at.
He’s trolling.

honestly I think his role is to run forward of the ball and impact.
Although with Neale, Clugga and Lyon not the speediest. If we do not get the ball
Have no one apart from Zorko with speed to run back.
If we had another mid with some speed it help. Although Neale, Lyons and Clugga all A grade you not dropping them.
Hence the problem is it coaching or cattle.

If we do not get it we just do not have to defensive run from the rest of midfield.
Oscar not at his best carrying a injury as well.. So not always getting first hand on ball
Mitch and Dev are our two fastest mids, currently in the team.

Dale Tapping has been linked to the Pies if not as the senior coach as the senior assistant he’ll be a massive loss for the Lions
Mods might need change thread title to a simple “Fages”

fu** off. It's a different opinion to yours doesn't mean I'm trolling ffs. Sick of this slander being thrown around here.

There's a difference between slander and calling out someone for blatant lies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back