Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys, do you know if the Bulldogs hierarchy are going to put an injunction in over the fact that the Brisbane WC game went 24 seconds too long? Because I'm sure that the point that put them ahead was just the last 20 seconds

Hi guys, do you know if the Bulldogs hierarchy are going to put an injunction in over the fact that the Brisbane WC game went 24 seconds too long? Because I'm sure that the point that put them ahead was just the last 20 seconds

Not a chance, I’m sure they are just dealing with the burn that the players will be feeling and hoping it’s used to turn things around next week

I don't want to be that guy but there is somewhat of a precedent set here.

I watched the game again after my melt last night because I ******* hate myself.

One of the things I observed is the only two players on our team that consistently put their body on the line and give it everything are Keath and Duryea. Both imports. It's pretty shameful how squibby some of our efforts are.

I cannot stop laughing at the fact that you watched the replay. Holy s**t. You are something special my dude. You should go on a preseason camp with the Adelaide footy club, I reckon you'd love it.

I hope not. Whilst technically we would be in the right it’s our own fault it came to that and we would look like massive sooks.

Nah, completely different if it was a siren issue. There will be maybe a blanket apology and nothing else, might not even get that

I'd be surprised if we didn't enquire or at least explore it.

Stakes are too high. Hypothetically if the WCE were in a position to make finals and missed out due to percentage and it was a result of a timekeeping error you know they would explore it.

I cannot stop laughing at the fact that you watched the replay. Holy sh*t. You are something special my dude. You should go on a preseason camp with the Adelaide footy club, I reckon you'd love it.
I would almost rather a week at dev camp with Don Pyke and Tex than watching Mitch Hannan get deployed to the ruck again in our final.

Lots of Bailey Smith shutdowns in this thread. He wasn’t great but he is 20 years old…. Probably needs a couple more years to develop. I remember Wallis talking about playing Sam Mitchell at 20 and pouring blood from both boots after the game as Sam stamped on him continuously. It’s a tough game and even kids as talented as Bailey “May” be need to learn to play at the level.
Mitchell was a filthy player who also liked to cork the opposition’s best players with his knee. I remember him doing it to Griffen who had to come off the ground. He got away with it for years until he was finally called out. Expect the Hawks to pick up a few new “habits” in the coming years.

I watched a replay of the last quarter again today. Needed to do so without alcohol.

There weren't any horrendous moments where we stuffed up, it was a game of inches. Gray, boak and wines stepped up and won them the game., we didn't have any of our best players step up at the same time.

I watched the game again after my melt last night because I ******* hate myself.

One of the things I observed is the only two players on our team that consistently put their body on the line and give it everything are Keath and Duryea. Both imports. It's pretty shameful how squibby some of our efforts are.

I did the same this morning. It’s the difference between the 2016 team vs the current team. Picked, Smith, Dahlhaus, Morris, M Boyd, Biggs were all so desperate. Some average efforts across the board.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I did the same this morning. It’s the difference between the 2016 team vs the current team. Picked, Smith, Dahlhaus, Morris, M Boyd, Biggs were all so desperate. Some average efforts across the board.

We lack that mongrel/bit of nastiness in the team atm, Moyd, Smith, Picken, Morris and Dahl all hit bodies, all put their bodies on the line and all flew the flag when needed. Atm you would say Libba does it, hard to find more

A pretty glaring lack of mental and physical toughness.

Has the talent advantage over the 2016 team in spades, but meaningless when the chips are down and they just fold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caleb fined $2,500 for abusing that midget umpire in the 3rd quarter

Don’t recall hearing anything on the TV, but glad at least someone was out there standing up to the bias he was showing Port

Caleb fined $2,500 for abusing that midget umpire in the 3rd quarter

Don’t recall hearing anything on the TV, but glad at least someone was out there standing up to the bias he was showing Port
Razor told him: "don't ever speak to me like that again" or words to that effect

I'd be surprised if we didn't enquire or at least explore it.

Stakes are too high. Hypothetically if the WCE were in a position to make finals and missed out due to percentage and it was a result of a timekeeping error you know they would explore it.

I think we should explore it with the AFL administration, at the very least it would give us closure and it might even be good for the game because it could allow a bit of guidance on how situations like this should be handled in future.

At the same time, however, I think we should be low key about it and have low expectations. Don't make a fuss about it in the media and let the legal professionals deal with the complaint through the proper channels.

I'm having a lot of emotional whipslash rn. I expected the loss but I'm still pretty devestated how badly we've choked this season away. But I'm also finding it hilarious. That just might be the amount of alcohol I've consumed.

On the coaching dicussion I think Bevo is a genius. But by being a genius I don't think he's satisfied playing a simple plan and wants to play high risk high reward constantly. It paid off massively one year and he will always be the greatest bulldogs legend in my mind. Do I think we'd be better with a more conventional coach? Ehhhhhh... No. No, I think our list is pretty sh*t.

I don't think any other team has a worse makeup of key defenders than we do. Keath is fine but I reckon every other team has a better duo than Keath and whoever we'd pair him with. Maybe if it was Keath/Naugton but then I'd say we'd have the worst key forward duo in the league and that's if Bruce isn't injured. And our rucks, fit or unfit, are the worst in the league. Every side has at least 2 rucks better than our best. I reckon most have 3. It's a weak list. And for our star midfield, I reckon there are another 30 mids in the league you could plug into our midfield and they would look like A graders. Our system is our midfield. We handball it to each other and rack up touches, our defence can't mark so we spoil and go for boundary stoppages to get more potential touches for these mids. They are very good players but outside of Bont I think 10-ish sides have a midfielder that matches our best because the difference between the 10th best mid and the 25th best isn't that great. Don't underestimate system.

So is the blame just on the players? fu** no. When Dunkley are Treloar were injured Bevo decided in his wisdom to just put it all on Bont, Macrae and Libba. Any other coach would've brought in Lipinski, Wallis, West, Garcia etc. to share that load. He's worked them until they're cooked. He's persisted with Cordy when he was leaking goals in 2019, gave Bailey Smith more midfield minutes when it 2020 his direct opponent was generating clearances. He's f’ed around with so many structures that I can't blame players for choosing other sides to go to rather than us. I can't count how many times he's hinted that our ruck or our defence or our lack of height is costing us so he knows what the problem is but then doesn't address it. And then on the other hand I don't think any coaching moves saves our players from losing to a bottom 4 Hawthorn, or blowing a 3 goal lead to a honestly average Port side. Blame goes on him, blame goes on players. Truth, as always, lies inbetween.

This year is over, but I don't believe in writing off the future. Next year can be better, it can be the same, it can be worse. We're in a position that with luck any of the next 7 seasons could be ours. The job of the coaches and players is to make the difference between lucky and unlucky as small as possible. Onwards and upwards.
BEVO reminds me a little bit of Jorge Sampaoli, the Argentina coach for the 2018 World Cup. A genius as coach with Chile in two successful America's cup beating Argentina twice in the final. He came home to coach the Argentina team. He totally shat the bed, to the extent that the players took over the coaching... Maybe that is what we should do?????

I get the ruck situation is terrible but at least we went some way in addressing the forward structure by playing English there.
For everyone lamenting not playing Sweet, can you honestly say he would have done significantly better than Young? I thought Young actually played a decent game, he didn't allow many easy hitouts/clearances and followed up at ground level pretty well. 14 disposals, 4 marks around the ground. It's OK considering the choices we have. The clearance stats showed we didn't get demolished there. I very much doubt Sweet would do anything better tbh.

I was pissed about not bringing him in on Thursday night too, but that was because I was expecting Bev to double down on English ruck. When he lined up forward it was a relief. I think the adjustment worked, as it was at least better than the previous week. Young did as well as English had been doing, but at least we had English up forward. While he didn't have a great game, he still kicked 2 and provided an aerial contest all night.

The other thing I was pissed out Thursday night was the re-selection of JJ. He just doesn't want to do any hard work (been saying this for weeks). There was a contest on the wing where he shirked out of it while still being 3 meters from the ball! He didn't even want to put himself in a position where he MIGHT cop some contact. Weak as. Those 3 must go next week, it just sends a horrible message to the group. I've been saying it for weeks to get players in who will at least have a crack.. had been advocating for Scott, but Roarke is similar and last night showed it. Although he's not a perfect player, multiple times he put his his body on the line for the team... this is the mentality every player should have at the minimum.

The other two I wanted out were Cordy and Wood. Friday showed again, they are just liabilities. Cordy's continual selection is just baffling.

Unfortunately after starting the year so well, Macrae has regressed to his mean... Lots more scrubby ineffectual kicks, or just complete miskicks.

Midfield to Forward connection is what lost us this game IMO. With Bruce out, we don't have anyone that wants to lead at the ball. All forwards are trying to get easy goals by running into space over the back but it's to where nobody can actually make a kick. I feel like we could have really used JUH as he knows how to time a lead and which space to run into to make it easier on the ball carrier.

On the plus side, I feel our endeavor was at least there for this game for most players. A large turn around from the week before. I think our best players are just cooked mentally and/or physically so while they tried hard it just wasn't good enough against a decent side in Port.

I still trust we can turn it around further next week. If we beat the Dons it might give the team some confidence going forward.

Josh Dunkley wouldn't have scored only 28 pressure points too many times in the last few years. And Treloar on only 19 - jeez!

No way those 2 are ready to play.
Just shows that they weren't fit enough to contribute defensively - probably explains why we seem to get torched on the rebound so often in the last three weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back