Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

McCrae had the worse game I have ever seen him play, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Disappointed, but not surprised something is not right with this team. Hard questions do need to be asked at the end of the year.

On another note, how disappointing would it be to make the GF this to year with no parade, no game at the G, hell we wouldn’t even be allowed to attend.
Yeah. Obviously you want to win the flag but these f&$@king virus years are definitely not the best years to be winning it all because none of us can be there.

I just can't get myself up to do a full dive through all the stats floating around. But let me just note from OG's stats (which I want to thank him again for providing)....

Tackling efficiency of 51% is right down there. It continues our terrible tackling form during this increasingly poor period over the last month-and-a-half or so. And is the direct opposite of how you win finals.

And the pressure gauge is really all you need to see what's going on:

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 186 (Average)
PA: 175 (Below Average)

Q2
WB: 184 (Average)
PA: 167 (Poor)

Q3
WB: 175 (Below Average)
PA: 207 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 177 (Below Average)
PA: 203 (Elite)

Match
WB: 181 (Average)
PA: 189 (Average)

What that says is that the players DID come out ready to roll. But that they fell off as the game wore on. Whereas Port built as the game wore on. Port are cherry ripe. And we are cooked.

I get the ruck situation is terrible but at least we went some way in addressing the forward structure by playing English there.
For everyone lamenting not playing Sweet, can you honestly say he would have done significantly better than Young? I thought Young actually played a decent game, he didn't allow many easy hitouts/clearances and followed up at ground level pretty well. 14 disposals, 4 marks around the ground. It's OK considering the choices we have. The clearance stats showed we didn't get demolished there. I very much doubt Sweet would do anything better tbh.

I was pissed about not bringing him in on Thursday night too, but that was because I was expecting Bev to double down on English ruck. When he lined up forward it was a relief. I think the adjustment worked, as it was at least better than the previous week. Young did as well as English had been doing, but at least we had English up forward. While he didn't have a great game, he still kicked 2 and provided an aerial contest all night.

The other thing I was pissed out Thursday night was the re-selection of JJ. He just doesn't want to do any hard work (been saying this for weeks). There was a contest on the wing where he shirked out of it while still being 3 meters from the ball! He didn't even want to put himself in a position where he MIGHT cop some contact. Weak as. Those 3 must go next week, it just sends a horrible message to the group. I've been saying it for weeks to get players in who will at least have a crack.. had been advocating for Scott, but Roarke is similar and last night showed it. Although he's not a perfect player, multiple times he put his his body on the line for the team... this is the mentality every player should have at the minimum.

The other two I wanted out were Cordy and Wood. Friday showed again, they are just liabilities. Cordy's continual selection is just baffling.

Unfortunately after starting the year so well, Macrae has regressed to his mean... Lots more scrubby ineffectual kicks, or just complete miskicks.

Midfield to Forward connection is what lost us this game IMO. With Bruce out, we don't have anyone that wants to lead at the ball. All forwards are trying to get easy goals by running into space over the back but it's to where nobody can actually make a kick. I feel like we could have really used JUH as he knows how to time a lead and which space to run into to make it easier on the ball carrier.

On the plus side, I feel our endeavor was at least there for this game for most players. A large turn around from the week before. I think our best players are just cooked mentally and/or physically so while they tried hard it just wasn't good enough against a decent side in Port.

I still trust we can turn it around further next week. If we beat the Dons it might give the team some confidence going forward.
Good points. Lewy was great to start with but was left in the ruck almost the whole match and tired I imagine. It was a good move but strange English didn't do a greater share and very strange having Bonti in the ruck when Timmy was right there to do it!

I get the ruck situation is terrible but at least we went some way in addressing the forward structure by playing English there.
For everyone lamenting not playing Sweet, can you honestly say he would have done significantly better than Young? I thought Young actually played a decent game, he didn't allow many easy hitouts/clearances and followed up at ground level pretty well. 14 disposals, 4 marks around the ground. It's OK considering the choices we have. The clearance stats showed we didn't get demolished there. I very much doubt Sweet would do anything better tbh.

I was pissed about not bringing him in on Thursday night too, but that was because I was expecting Bev to double down on English ruck. When he lined up forward it was a relief. I think the adjustment worked, as it was at least better than the previous week. Young did as well as English had been doing, but at least we had English up forward. While he didn't have a great game, he still kicked 2 and provided an aerial contest all night.

The other thing I was pissed out Thursday night was the re-selection of JJ. He just doesn't want to do any hard work (been saying this for weeks). There was a contest on the wing where he shirked out of it while still being 3 meters from the ball! He didn't even want to put himself in a position where he MIGHT cop some contact. Weak as. Those 3 must go next week, it just sends a horrible message to the group. I've been saying it for weeks to get players in who will at least have a crack.. had been advocating for Scott, but Roarke is similar and last night showed it. Although he's not a perfect player, multiple times he put his his body on the line for the team... this is the mentality every player should have at the minimum.

The other two I wanted out were Cordy and Wood. Friday showed again, they are just liabilities. Cordy's continual selection is just baffling.

Unfortunately after starting the year so well, Macrae has regressed to his mean... Lots more scrubby ineffectual kicks, or just complete miskicks.

Midfield to Forward connection is what lost us this game IMO. With Bruce out, we don't have anyone that wants to lead at the ball. All forwards are trying to get easy goals by running into space over the back but it's to where nobody can actually make a kick. I feel like we could have really used JUH as he knows how to time a lead and which space to run into to make it easier on the ball carrier.

On the plus side, I feel our endeavor was at least there for this game for most players. A large turn around from the week before. I think our best players are just cooked mentally and/or physically so while they tried hard it just wasn't good enough against a decent side in Port.

I still trust we can turn it around further next week. If we beat the Dons it might give the team some confidence going forward.
Sweet would have done better than Young as a ruckman. Sweet is hardened and trained as a ruckman, Young isn't.

Sweet would have done better than Young as a ruckman. Sweet is hardened and trained as a ruckman, Young isn't.
I would have agreed before yesterday but i think Lewy's game was as good or better than any of Sweet's to date. Not to say I would want to see it as a long term move......

For all the doom and gloom. We arent at our best and pushed a top 4 side to 2 points.

I know we thought we'd be in a better position but this weeks game the effort was there. Just some of our better players didnt perform.
We have gone from getting beaten by two lower teams to getting beaten by a top team. Now for the other other plan of beating the top teams.
1629586863675.png

I would have agreed before yesterday but i think Lewy's game was as good or better than any of Sweet's to date. Not to say I would want to see it as a long term move......
I wasn't unhappy with Lewy's efforts. But to say he had any influence is a stretch. He comes from a very low base so when he does 3 good things a game people think he is Simon Madden. He isn't, neither is Sweet. But at least some ruck contests will be won or halved with Sweet in the ruck.
It's pure arrogance and stubbornness that we consider the ruck a dead position.

Beveridge has a huge task getting the players up mentally for the next game. Hell, he looks like he has a huge task of getting himself up mentally for the next game. He and the players looked devastated immediately after the loss.

IMG_2443.jpg That's weird! The table isn't in today's digital edition but is in the print edition and is different from yesterday's! I was surprised to see Bonti had such a low rating yesterday, though I didn't notice him doing much it but still remarkable as it would be the lowest rating he has ever had from my memory. But today they have him on 67 points instead of 29! A few others changed too.

It was fanciful to expect they would come back after injury and simply continue on from where they left off.
Yeah probably. Needed help from the footy gods like in 2016

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't unhappy with Lewy's efforts. But to say he had any influence is a stretch. He comes from a very low base so when he does 3 good things a game people think he is Simon Madden. He isn't, neither is Sweet. But at least some ruck contests will be won or halved with Sweet in the ruck.
It's pure arrogance and stubbornness that we consider the ruck a dead position.
Yeah I think we’ve set the bar so low that anything remotely solid from Young is getting lauded way too much.

Beveridge has a huge task getting the players up mentally for the next game. Hell, he looks like he has a huge task of getting himself up mentally for the next game. He and the players looked devastated immediately after the loss.
yeh agree. 3 weeks ago top of ladder with very winnable games against Ess/Haw would made him feel he had a firm grasp of
the Season's prospects. He now has to weave some magic this week getting the players up to the firecracker level they were.

Yeah I think we’ve set the bar so low that anything remotely solid from Young is getting lauded way too much.
Wow where was that? I think this week was close to his best game which has to be a good thing? I'm not saying he is way better than Sweet but have Sweet's games been better than Lewy's with 14 possies and 13 hitouts? Hope they both come good!

Wow where was that? I think this week was close to his best game which has to be a good thing? I'm not saying he is way better than Sweet but have Sweet's games been better than Lewy's with 14 possies and 13 hitouts? Hope they both come good!

Lewy appears to be really developing as a footballer. He is a good mark, quick, good below the knees and his decision making though not great is getting better. His last quarter against Lycett was excellent.

I look at guys like Crozier, Cordy, Wood JJ and a Wallis whose output is dropping off rapidly.

Why would we want to dump Lewy and keep all these other guys?

For what it's worth Young led the team in score launches too, with 3. I know a ruckman has an advantage in racking up score launches (and I am hellbent on getting Martin in there instead) but still he did it, and we should acknowledge that.

I get the feeling that those who think Sweet is the answer are the people who have watched him play the least. I saw him get absolutely pantsed by some very ordinary opposition in the few VFL games I watched.

Do you think this would not have happened to English if he was not given games, even right now? I mean at lest had he played some more we would have a better picture instead of watching draper ware down English for example. It's harder to try in a finals now though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back