Beyond the GF – Why the MCG Contract doesn’t pass the Stink Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
New contract should be from 2022-37, not later than that, in case Tassie etc., join the league.

22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34 & 36 MCG
23, 31 Adelaide Oval
25, 33 SCG
27, 35 Gabba
29, 37 Optus

8 at the MCG and 8 interstate, but swap if there's a Sydney-GWS, Freo-WC, GC-Suns, Adel-Port GF. They should be in their home states, i.e. 25 GF Adel-Port at Adelaide Oval, so SCG gets 31 instead of AO.

Except it doesn't get rotated to every city in the NFL though does it.

The NFL has a specific check list in place that determines who will hold the Superbowl which rules out some cities of ever being in contention.

Part of that list is a section that states a stadium MUST have at least a minimum of 70,000 seats.

So your suggestion that crowd capacity is irrelevant is obviously very relevant to the model you want to base it on.
That Superbowl min attendance number includes temporary grandstand seating I'm fairly sure.

Adelaide Oval could get to 70K I reckon.

Optus will be due for expansion around 2057. When Gills over here for the granny McGowan should see if we can get 35 grand finals chucked in as an added bonus

There's an argument that the current SCG and Gabba facilities are old and outdated. That and their lower capacity, some say, should render them ineligible for the GF.

But we all know the Gabba will be demolished and rebuilt for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic games. So until then, why not a contract that goes:

22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34 MCG
23, 27, 31 Adelaide Oval
25, 29, 33 Optus

The new Gabba can host a GF in 2035, and then maybe Sydney gets one in 2037 if they upgrade or rebuild.

You'd have to pay out the current contract, though. Come on, Twiggy.

Way to leave out the biggest commitment.

The MCG's Great Southern Stand will be upgraded to ensure the ground's capacity is maintained above 100,000 as a state-of-the-art venue.

AFL.com.au understands a complete rebuild of the Great Southern Stand is the MCG Trust's ultimate plan, but it could still be several years, even a decade or more, away.

Completely rebuilding the Southern Stand will probably cost over 1 Billion and result in a stand that on it's own has more capacity than any other aussie rules stadium in the country apart from Optus. The MCC can pick up the vast majority of that cost and pay the loans on the back of the grand final and other big games, with the state and feds probably chipping in for infrastructure works linking the MCG to the tennis centre and Richmond/a new station.

It sounds like the MCG has been built to be too big to make it financially viable to maintain and operate. The MCC needs the allure of access to the AFL grand final to convince people to get MCC memberships to help their revenue streams.

I understand the MCC has a massive wait list now, but how big was that wait list before the VFL became the AFL?

There was suggestions before Optus Stadium was built that it should be bigger (70,000-80,000), but then it would have cost more to build, and more to operate and maintain. But why increase the financial strain? It sells out for Eagles games and other National events but it results in a massive atmosphere.

Meanwhile, whilst the MCG reaches that magical figure of 100,000, it only sells out once a year, and needs this AFL/MCC/VIC contract to keep it afloat.

Without the contract would the MCC refuse to upgrade their own facilities? Would they perhaps reduce the capacity to something that is more manageable?

I mean a Showdown hasn't ever been on a Friday night FFS.
Just on this
I already knew this as a fact.

But I just wanted to double check something

Did you know that Port Adelaide is the ONLY team in the AFL we have never played on a Thursday or Friday Night stand alone game?

(Had to say that just to disclude GWS who we have played on Thursday but not Friday)

We got given Brisbane in 1997 off a pathetic 12th placed finish
We got Fitzroy in 1993
We got Fremantle in 1998
We even got Gold Coast in 2021 (in the opening 6 games from the pre-set fixture, and there was no changes caused by covid)

Yet no Showdown?

That's bs

I
It sounds like the MCG has been built to be too big to make it financially viable to maintain and operate. The MCC needs the allure of access to the AFL grand final to convince people to get MCC memberships to help their revenue streams.

I understand the MCC has a massive wait list now, but how big was that wait list before the VFL became the AFL?

There was suggestions before Optus Stadium was built that it should be bigger (70,000-80,000), but then it would have cost more to build, and more to operate and maintain. But why increase the financial strain? It sells out for Eagles games and other National events but it results in a massive atmosphere.

Meanwhile, whilst the MCG reaches that magical figure of 100,000, it only sells out once a year, and needs this AFL/MCC/VIC contract to keep it afloat.

Without the contract would the MCC refuse to upgrade their own facilities? Would they perhaps reduce the capacity to something that is more manageable?
Reckon if the AFL stumped up $10-20m per year plus a yearly GF for 40 years Adelaide & Perth would have 100K stadiums too.

Previously I reckon SA asked and the AFL said "GF"!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be dribbling in the corner of the rec room in an aged care facility by the time the current contract is done with so it won't bother me but watch this space - it will never leave Victoria. The AFL will make a bucketload but no Victorian politician will ever want to be the premier that lost the AFL Grand Final. They will continue to pay whatever it takes to ensure that never happens.

I wish we had State Of Origin.
Just so the Vics can show these sideshow clowns who the Bosses are.
(Hint- Any inhabitants from the landmass east of the South Australian border and south of the Murray River.)

Corrupt Contract deez nutz...
In the AFL era

South Australia 3 - 4 Victoria
West Australia 1 - 2 Victoria

am I meant to cower in fear at you?

Maybe we'll go back a little further, 1983-present

South Australia 8-6 Victoria
South Australia 7-5 West Australia
Victoria 7-4 West Australia

hmmmmm

Last edited:
Come back when you have a 100,000 seat stadium that you can fill every year for it.

Or, by the way, a stadium that can take those numbers you’re listing for the big games. Because right now Richmond have 100k members, Collingwood have around that, Carlton have 80k.

The benefits of having a huge supporter base for the code in Melbourne.
Pretty much sums up the argument.

Chuck in Essendon who will crack 100k membership in the next two years after hitting 80 this year.
We want 100k fans at the G for GFs

the home of Australian Rules Football.

If the crowd number is such an important factor as some like to say then wouldn’t logic dictate that it would be written into the contract?

In that were the case the MCG/Victorian government can’t fulfil their contractual obligations so why do they get extra games/years added onto their existing contract?

I’ve been to two winning grand finals (2006 and 2018) and there’s absolutely nothing special about it being in Melbourne. Other non-MCG finals have even had a better atmosphere despite having less fans in attendance.

The contract stinks.

Nothing special?

What a boring campaigner you must be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back