List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the fence with the idea of Lipinski.

I think he's very much a winger rather than on baller. He runs hard offensively and adds a bit to offensive transition. Less so defensively. Good age for us.

We have J Daicos, WHE and Sidebottom for the wing. It's not a glaring list need in the same way a key forward is.

I'm easy whatever way it rolls.
WHE is junk

I think he's very much a winger rather than on baller. He runs hard offensively and adds a bit to offensive transition. Less so defensively. Good age for us.

We have J Daicos, WHE and Sidebottom for the wing. It's not a glaring list need in the same way a key forward is.

We know what we get from WHE I prefer him on a flank pushing up the ground.

Sidey is getting on and can play mostly anywhere.

Daicos in my opinion is a true HFF elite kicking skills and great around goals just doesn't get enough of the footy when playing full time mid, I think he should be taking the Josh Thomas role.

See what happens I guess.

Where’s this interest in Naish coming from?
The fact we wanted to snag him last trade period, but with all the drama going on at the time, there wasn't enough time to get the deal done. And with McRae having developed him at richmond, he might have an interest in snagging him. Easier now, he has been delisted so would be free.

The fact we wanted to snag him last trade period, but with all the drama going on at the time, there wasn't enough time to get the deal done. And with McRae having developed him at richmond, he might have an interest in snagging him. Easier now, he has been delisted so would be free.

I see.
If McRae thinks he has weapons of value, I’ll support it.
But i question why he is delisted at Richmond...

Not sure the similarities re Steele and Lipinski are that meaningful.
Steele is a competitive beast, PL lacks any sort of physicality, sure he is smooth and reasonably skilled.
Steele has always been a very high contested possy player, PL the complete opposite.
If we pursue him we need to be very clear in what we are getting, a very outside, slow skillful player.

Not a chance in hell i would give him 3 years, frankly I would hope we can do far better in the PSD; walk in a solid best 22 player essentially for nothing

So you made that assumption of Steele after two years at the Giants where he averaged 15 touches and 4 tackles a game? I see.

Im fine with Lipinski playing outside midfield, he’s a good ball user (career 76.5% efficiency) and we need smart midfielders.

Novelty value... grass is always greener... he's just been let go by the team that finished 12th...hardly screams 'must have' to me..

Exactly. Don't know why everyone seems so keen on acquiring other teams fringe players like Lipinski, Naish, Constable, Narkle etc. We literally just had to clear the decks last year and give away better quality players in Stephenson and Treloar just to save $500k-600k. Why waste $400k-500k on these sort of players when they will provide marginal additional output over our existing options and deny our young kids games. We're just going to see ourselves in another Clinton Young/Quinton Lynch/Mayne situation overpaying in salaries for average players. Much rather just pump more games into Macrae/Poulter/McCreery/Bianco/Henry.

If we have the salary cap to chase established players, I'd prefer to save it for one quality player like a Luke Parker/Matt Crouch and save the other list spots for some developing youngsters. Better yet, bank the salary cap and go hard in 2023 when the Clayton Olivers, Harry McKays, Jacob Hoppers come up for free agency and we're actually in a position to be contending for finals.

The only exception I would make would be if it was a KPF/KPD like a Weideman/Schache/Talia as we're clearly lacking depth in those areas. But only if we don't have to give up any draft picks higher than a future fourth for them.

So you made that assumption of Steele after two years at the Giants where he averaged 15 touches and 4 tackles a game? I see.

Im fine with Lipinski playing outside midfield, he’s a good ball user (career 76.5% efficiency) and we need smart midfielders.
Not sure what point you are making about Steele after 2 years. He certainly showed he could win a contested footy at GWS.
Lipinski has most certainly not undergone stellar improvement after 2 years in the system that Steele has, he has already been in the system 5 years.

I also don't believe Lipinski has spent much time in the mid field. I have been lucky, if thats the right word, to see every Bulldog game in Melb prior to covid, he simply hasn't appealed to me as guy who screams ' lets get him'
All i am saying is he most certainly is not a dual AA with opportunity, he would a handy addition. I'd hoped the days of 3 years for handy players is past.
Thats just how i see him, appreciate you and others see it differently.

Last edited:
My ideal pickups would be Dyl Stephens and Lipinski.

Lipinski is a moneyball get and is still young. Looked at his stats when he was getting regular senior game time in a strong Bulldogs midfield and am impressed.

If he does turn out to be a decent player he could be another “steak knives” investment.

Our current one that was a free gamble turned out to be good considering he’s played every game since he’s been at the club.

339AF01F-639C-4953-B48F-A765788D3B8A.jpeg

I'm not a a Josh Caddy fan by any means, I just love how over the top people go by suggesting he is the worst player in the league. He was at his prime a very strong half forward who could rotate through mids and kick goals.

You won't encourage fringe players to leave their current clubs for opportunities by offering them 2 years. Lipinski would be a lock for first 22 next year.
Sorry he never lived up to his hype - a good to decent player at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a a Josh Caddy fan by any means, I just love how over the top people go by suggesting he is the worst player in the league. He was at his prime a very strong half forward who could rotate through mids and kick goals.

You won't encourage fringe players to leave their current clubs for opportunities by offering them 2 years. Lipinski would be a lock for first 22 next year.

I couldn’t agree more re him not being as bad as that one poster said. His 2018 tracked every bit as well as JDG’s, but since then he’s struggled to recapture that form due to his lack of pace.

IMO, he’s a better option than Dunstan or Crouch if we’re looking to fill that inside mid role (anyone doubting me watch the replay of the Pies v Tiges VFL match he was dominant) because we could get him as a rookie. The real question though is whether you want him potentially taking minutes from Macrae or McInnes. Basically I’m a no, but if the club pursued him I’d be fine with it and one thing is certain he’s a much better option than Naish!

Lipinski>Sidebottom>WHE. His 2021 was better than those two and he’s still got development in him that those two don’t.

On Krueger he’s only moving for opportunity so is he a lock for our back 7 with everyone fit? I’m a hundred times yes because it frees up Moore and guarantees the demise of Madgen (if he survives the off-season cull), but do others think it’s getting too tall with three 200cm KPD’s + Howe and Maynard potentially up the field?

Lipinski>Sidebottom>WHE. His 2021 was better than those two and he’s still got development in him that those two don’t.

On Krueger he’s only moving for opportunity so is he a lock for our back 7 with everyone fit? I’m a hundred times yes because it frees up Moore and guarantees the demise of Madgen (if he survives the off-season cull), but do others think it’s getting too tall with three 200cm KPD’s + Howe and Maynard potentially up the field?
I depends on footy smarts and mobility with big guys, if that's there 3 are possible.

Seeing as you asked politely, I have no doubt we can play all those talls in the backline, it would free up howe and Moore to be intercepters. Even if teams went small against us, we have heaps of versatility in defense

LIpinkski probably more outside than inside but certainly can play on the ball... just doesn’t get much oppportunity.

In the same vein Treloar is more outside at the Dogs... whereas he was more inside at the pies.

I’d offer Lipinski 3 years. Could probably play several positions and therefore likely to be best 22

I also like the idea of Naish. Wing or even as a rebound defender

Couple of mature body midfield options won’t hurt... as we have Sier possibly gone this year and the Brown bros out of contract at the end of 2022. All Possible delistings.

Krueger, Riccardi, Amartey, Brander, Skinner, Schlensong etc, etc... whichever, just land 2x mature body KPP

3-4 Shrewd pickups on the cheap and we’re back in business.

LIpinkski probably more outside than inside but certainly can play on the ball... just doesn’t get much oppportunity.

In the same vein Treloar is more outside at the Dogs... whereas he was more inside at the pies.

I’d offer Lipinski 3 years. Could probably play several positions and therefore likely to be best 22

I also like the idea of Naish. Wing or even as a rebound defender

Couple of mature body midfield options won’t hurt... as we have Sier possibly gone this year and the Brown bros out of contract at the end of 2022. All Possible delistings.

Krueger, Riccardi, Amartey, Brander, Skinner, Schlensong etc, etc... whichever, just land 2x mature body KPP

3-4 Shrewd pickups on the cheap and we’re back in business.
Add stengle and you got me

Wright was just on RSN. He was mainly talking about McRae as a coach, most of which we heard yesterday.

He mentioned having sat down with Licuria and Hine pre-lockdown for a day and a half looking at the list management side of things.

He did mention salary cap constraints, but as to exactly what he said/meant I'm not sure.

He said whilst they can't fix everything in one year, they'd have to be creative and "bold in a lot of ways"

Asked if this "creativity" would be as headline-grabbing as last year's Trade Period, he mentioned us making some big decisions, and thus this year obviously wouldn't be the same.

He did however say list management is a two-way street; the club and the player. So whilst we didn't have intention to trade a player, a player could look to leave.

Bit all over the shop but I've got a feeling we're going to lose a player or two by player choice. No idea who at this point in time.

"The club made some big decisions last year. From that side of it, I suppose we'll be 'less headline grabby' ... From our perspective I think it'll be pretty quiet" Graham Wright on the trade period coming up #RSNBreakfastClub

What do we make of this?

Wright was just on RSN. He was mainly talking about McRae as a coach, most of which we heard yesterday.

He mentioned having sat down with Licuria and Hine pre-lockdown for a day and a half looking at the list management side of things.

He did mention salary cap constraints, but as to exactly what he said/meant I'm not sure.

He said whilst they can't fix everything in one year, they'd have to be creative and "bold in a lot of ways"

Asked if this "creativity" would be as headline-grabbing as last year's Trade Period, he mentioned us making some big decisions, and thus this year obviously wouldn't be the same.

He did however say list management is a two-way street; the club and the player. So whilst we didn't have intention to trade a player, a player could look to leave.

Bit all over the shop but I've got a feeling we're going to lose a player or two by player choice. No idea who at this point in time.
Fly has made it abundantly clear that no player can fake it from here on . . some will move on to less exacting pastures and we will be a better team and club in the long run because of it.

Exactly. Don't know why everyone seems so keen on acquiring other teams fringe players like Lipinski, Naish, Constable, Narkle etc. We literally just had to clear the decks last year and give away better quality players in Stephenson and Treloar just to save $500k-600k. Why waste $400k-500k on these sort of players when they will provide marginal additional output over our existing options and deny our young kids games. We're just going to see ourselves in another Clinton Young/Quinton Lynch/Mayne situation overpaying in salaries for average players. Much rather just pump more games into Macrae/Poulter/McCreery/Bianco/Henry.

If we have the salary cap to chase established players, I'd prefer to save it for one quality player like a Luke Parker/Matt Crouch and save the other list spots for some developing youngsters. Better yet, bank the salary cap and go hard in 2023 when the Clayton Olivers, Harry McKays, Jacob Hoppers come up for free agency and we're actually in a position to be contending for finals.

The only exception I would make would be if it was a KPF/KPD like a Weideman/Schache/Talia as we're clearly lacking depth in those areas. But only if we don't have to give up any draft picks higher than a future fourth for them.

The players you listed were all old when we got them.
Lipinski is an absolutely ideal target. Class squeezed out of the deepest midfield in the company and we can arguably walk him to the psd if he nominates us. 49 games means he’s about to level up, and would play every game next year.

Matt crouch would be a 1-2 year stop gap in the mould of the older guys you listed. More of a band aid than a solution, and we can’t afford Luke parker.

My main worry is that with lipinski being such a perfect target, we’ll stuff it up somehow.
I would be over the moon if we got him, and would be further convinced that Wright and McRae are going to change our fortunes pretty quickly.

Agree on a KPF, and would look to Riccardi while we load up for a B.King raid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Play him Forward

"The club made some big decisions last year. From that side of it, I suppose we'll be 'less headline grabby' ... From our perspective I think it'll be pretty quiet" Graham Wright on the trade period coming up #RSNBreakfastClub

What do we make of this?
Can't get much more headline grabby than last year, (for the wrong reasons) expecting a less frantic, more thought out process from GW and Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back