Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Christine is one of the smartest executives going. I know her reasonably well and she is an amazing woman - any club would be proud to have her on their board. She was very much an Ed devotee (and Bucks for that matter) so she maybe on the outer.

With the appalling treatment of her by Aust Post and the government, she may feel now is the right time to step away from the limelight a little. Be a big loss for our club.

i second that. She is an absolute star.

What if the person is the best for the job?
Maybe there should be a members vote every "X" years to give a chance to change or re-elect.

I don't oppose that, it'd still be an improvement upon today.

Ed basically stood unopposed until he stood aside.
Whose fault is that?

Is that the members fault for being lazy?

Was he doing a good job?

Who else put their hand up?

The setup allowed Ed a long tenure, and under that no one would've been popular enough to vote him out anyway.

For all the good things Ed did he had that unique capacity to undo it by saying or doing something equally damaging. And that was how he ultimately left the role. Club governance actively promoting a vote after X number of years would definitely hold someone to account.

I don't oppose that, it'd still be an improvement upon today.

The setup allowed Ed a long tenure, and under that no one would've been popular enough to vote him out anyway.

For all the good things Ed did he had that unique capacity to undo it by saying or doing something equally damaging. And that was how he ultimately left the role. Club governance actively promoting a vote after X number of years would definitely hold someone to account.
I'm not supporting Ed.
I think they are all legitimate questions.
What if we land a genuinely fantastic Pres and he gets booted after 4 years?

So we just going to gloss over the claim that Browne suggested he should be having an input on the cricket team selection just because Channel 9 owned the rights?

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can't even begin to comprehend that. That makes Ed look hands off!

Do members have the right to ask questions at the AGM?

I'd love the opportunity to ask Browne how hands off he intends on being.

Normally yes, one question per member.

It’s not looking like this AGM will be very normal though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been listening to this week's Real Footy Podcast (The Age). It ties in with would Caro alluded to again last night:
* McRae's appointment is a "very modern" Collingwood appointment
* Collingwood "didn't go out of their way" to go after Clarkson. It was reported we were not that desperate to get him
* Browne will likely be president by the end of the year. He has the support of Murphy, Licuria & Sizer
* Browne is "not a politician" he is more a backroom guy
* Murphy's reluctance to be president has contributed to board instability, and assisted Browne's cause
* They want Korda to have a "graceful" exit, and they want it to happen this year, not next year.

she's also given no indication that she wants it..
So we just going to gloss over the claim that Browne suggested he should be having an input on the cricket team selection just because Channel 9 owned the rights?

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I dont often get surprised by reading something and what made it more surprising was that it was so related to the collingwood job. I dont really have any preferences about the personalities involved. I have stronger views about how the job should be done and I am strongly opposed to the President being involved in actual footy decisions. I wasn't too worried about him getting in previously, but this sparks a bit of concern.

I dont often get surprised by reading something and what made it more surprising was that it was so related to the collingwood job. I dont really have any preferences about the personalities involved. I have stronger views about how the job should be done and I am strongly opposed to the President being involved in actual footy decisions. I wasn't too worried about him getting in previously, but this sparks a bit of concern.

Killing to know HFF's opinion.

Nine was angry last summer that the Australian selectors had diminished the TV product by resting so many top-line players under the guise of its controversial "rotation policy''.

Browne said that trend was a "real worry'' for Nine, which has owned Australian cricket's television rights since Kerry Packer's World Series revolution in the mid 1970s.

Browne said Nine understood CA had to rest some players "to give them longevity in their careers, but they also understand we've got to have the best players on the paddock to rate''.

"I understand why sports want to do that, but people at home want to see the best players playing and we urge Cricket Australia to pick the best players every time.

"I think we've got a better understanding on that,'' he said. "Last year that balance was skewed too much in favour of resting some players so from now on there will be a lot more discussion between CA and the broadcaster about that.''

Nine was angry last summer that the Australian selectors had diminished the TV product by resting so many top-line players under the guise of its controversial "rotation policy''.

Browne said that trend was a "real worry'' for Nine, which has owned Australian cricket's television rights since Kerry Packer's World Series revolution in the mid 1970s.

Browne said Nine understood CA had to rest some players "to give them longevity in their careers, but they also understand we've got to have the best players on the paddock to rate''.

"I understand why sports want to do that, but people at home want to see the best players playing and we urge Cricket Australia to pick the best players every time.

"I think we've got a better understanding on that,'' he said. "Last year that balance was skewed too much in favour of resting some players so from now on there will be a lot more discussion between CA and the broadcaster about that.''
Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back