Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I was firmly in the keep Teague camp, not necessarily because I thought he was a good coach but because I felt that injuries, covid and the almost complete loss of the VFL as a development tool should have seen him complete his contract.

I now have come to grips with the decision and see the advantage of having a completely new coaching team to assess through new sets of eyes the real, rather than imagined or hoped for, quality of our list below the standout top tier.

Interesting and hopefully exciting times ahead. BTW, I didn't want Vossy either and hope to be proven wrong.

I think you know my thoughts on coaches, it's a very narrow scale in the level of competence, with the most crucial factor being adaptability

While Teague had areas working against him, that lack of adaptability in the gameplan was his greatest downfall.

Voss wouldn't have been my first choice, but none of us here, would be able to ascertain the best available candidate

I hope Voss draws a line in the sand with all players, as it should not be about talent, but commitment, commitment to team ethos, buy-in, no matter the role

Very direct. Answered the questions, no BS. No waffle.

Voss came across as a coach, not a performing media monkey.

My only concern was that he was asked at least twice what he has learnt since Bris days/in his time at Port..... He gave very general 'it's immeasurable, it's relationships, it's leadership, it's the vibe'. I wasn't expecting him to trot out a laundry list of faults at Brisbane, but a few specific examples would have been nice/reassuring.

It's something the panel must have asked him and he would have had to answer. So either it's something that he never had a good answer to (worrying sign), or the panel didn't ask (worrying sign) or he didn't want to get into specifics in public (that's fine).

He answers that question more directly in his interview for Carlton audio and on SEN.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Voss wasn't my first choice either but I have total confidence in the process and in the people who were involved with determining who the coach will be. Surrounded by quality assistants and with better people in administration, I'm confident that we can improve. Hopefully, they all contribute to driving higher standards. It's over to the players to see how they respond, some may fall away and that's fine, the time for excuses has ended. Excited now to see how we go next year and beyond.

Yep. Just don’t venture into their forum, you’ll come out wet.
Why would I even want to.

Funny thing is, I have ventured in there in past not even knowing in opposing team forum.
Sometimes I just browsing about things like movies or tv shows or music and making comment and find later on it not in general entertainment forum but another club forum. But notice much later. Think I done that a few times. Never had an issue but laughed at myself later, not knowing I ventured into enemy territory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just look at the body language difference between Teague and voss and words used
Teague: we just want to compete
Voss: we want to be the best
I feel a change in Carlton the standards have a increased
Teague doesn’t demand success lacks ruthless edge
Only thing standing in voss way is relationships and if Carlton falls into bad habits

Go Vossy !!!!
This was my pick from weeks ago... Carlton man from way back !!!
We must have been a few of the 30 to 40 to vote for him in poll some time ago.
But I was always torn if I wanted Ross Lyon almost as much but the age of Lyon probably getting on, so a younger coach in his 40's seemed more ideal.
Put a small bet on Ross and Voss on Monday morning, just in case Ross did throw his hat back in the ring.
Ended up 20 cents up on those two bets...

Anyway, it onwards and upwards now. Great to have someone so into their role and showed he had great taste having Dominator and Hunter as his idols as a kid. Voss did have a bit of the Dominator attitude about him so always the player from other clubs I most enjoyed watching play. So much fun watching him fix up Essendon and Pies when we were not up there ourselves.

Voss is an inspired choice because the easy thing would've been to focus on his past and get all gun shy

Rather, they allowed him to go through the extensive process and the panel, with a growth mindset, made the informed decision that he was the man

Go Vossy...I was underwhelmed a few days ago but have gone 180 degrees since. Give him some strong assistants and hopefully a top notch football manager (I'd love Gary Ayres in that role), with Cooky overseeing it all...and off we go!!!!

Set some clear expectations, took ownership of the issues we all know exist and (mostly) didn’t waffle his way through with generic media spin; straight to the point.

Couldn’t really ask for a better first-up presentation. Regardless of his perceived abilities by us, the playing group are aware he’s a three-time premiership captain to arguably the greatest team of the modern era - he will have their initial attention and respect; he’ll just need to maintain it and capitalise on it with his purported relationship building skills and overhauled game style.

"There’s a really exciting opportunity for the players, it’ll be somewhat uncomfortable because the environment is going to look totally different, new coach, new assistant coaches, new game plan, we’ll be trying to integrate and connect our whole football club, which is a real priority for us."

The above caught my attention; acknowledging it won’t be easy and it won’t be comfortable, but also taking ownership of his role in the change.

I expect our midfield setups to be substantially improved; seeing the improvements in Wines, Amon, Drew and the development of Duursma shows what can be done; I look forward to him not just working with Cripps and Walsh, but Dow, Fisher, Setterfield and Stocker.

Just look at the body language difference between Teague and voss and words used
Teague: we just want to compete
Voss: we want to be the best
I feel a change in Carlton the standards have a increased
Teague doesn’t demand success lacks ruthless edge
Only thing standing in voss way is relationships and if Carlton falls into bad habits

Teague still has a better winning record as coach.

Voss needs to weed out those who don't bleed for the club, of which there are many. Teague couldn't trust them on a weekly basis to turn up, defend or run two ways. Neither could the 6 coaches before him.

Very direct. Answered the questions, no BS. No waffle.

Voss came across as a coach, not a performing media monkey.

My only concern was that he was asked at least twice what he has learnt since Bris days/in his time at Port..... He gave very general 'it's immeasurable, it's relationships, it's leadership, it's the vibe'. I wasn't expecting him to trot out a laundry list of faults at Brisbane, but a few specific examples would have been nice/reassuring.

It's something the panel must have asked him and he would have had to answer. So either it's something that he never had a good answer to (worrying sign), or the panel didn't ask (worrying sign) or he didn't want to get into specifics in public (that's fine).
So I just listened to the 17 min interview on our website. Fantastic stuff. There is no hesitation from him when answering questions and it’s not a media generic based answer he’s giving filled with cliches. I will feel comforted more if he’s still doing the same come Jan/Feb and pre season is winding down.

Also we were;
18th in contested possession
15th in clearances
11th in 1 %ers
15th in tackles

I think these metrics will improve vastly if Voss implements what im hearing in these interviews. He really is driving the idea about the contest and players learning to be comfortable being uncomfortable. Knowing he is required to give direct feedback, and it’s about the required collective not individual efforts to win games is important. I hope his words come to fruition.
Yeah the Carlton Media interview was a great reassurance for me, ferrisb. Check it out:

It's great to see and hear that he's really matured from his stint at the Lions, but he's always been a pretty solid game day and midfield coach.

Love this decision!
I understand that being a great player doesn’t always translate into being a great coach. However, Vossy is a competitor. A competitive beast. He’ll bring this, and he’ll implant this into this group.
We have the talent, we have the cattle. We’ve been missing an intangible that Voss has in spades.

Welcome to Carlton, Vossy!

I see Crashy went to the Port page to poo poo the appointment. Made the mistake in saying that he’d rather Hinkley coach Carlton. Should have read the room first.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
wasn't very good at the subtle stuff.............like not being a tool..............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back