Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide were putting a premium on him being a SA player. Very odd behaviour from Richmond though, I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to get pick 1 and then on trade it to Adelaide for the deal they offered.

As Orange Agent said, more likely Adelaide see this as possibly the only opportunity they have to get him in his career. If anything it may further enforce the theory that he's an extremely loyal kid and unlikely to leave.

5 & 6 for 1 alone sounds like a no brainer for North to accept. You're overestimating the capabilities of one player.

5 & 6 would have to be in this years draft to even be considered. North need young players now...not split over a couple of years that diminishes the deal from a number of factors. North are picking in a compromised draft. A lot of the Vic kids have missed out on 2 years football (and hence development). I don't reckon there's a talent spotter in this country that could pick the Vic kids with any confidence. At least North know what they are getting with JHF. Obviously Adelaide also rate his as high given their play for #1.

I think there will be a lot of kids late first round, second that will come on once they get games into them at club level. This year isn't the year for North to hand over the pick (unless it literally is a 5 & 6 in the same year...or a 4 & 8).

As Orange Agent said, more likely Adelaide see this as possibly the only opportunity they have to get him in his career. If anything it may further enforce the theory that he's an extremely loyal kid and unlikely to leave.
Yeah but Adelaide wouldn’t try it if he wasn’t from SA, and if they didn’t consistently leak Victorian players. Their greater concern probably is that his stepfather played for Port and given than he just recently adopted said stepfather’s name (in spite of him being convicted and jailed for domestic violence, which indicates they’re very close) he’d probably choose Port over the Crows if he goes back to SA

Yeah but Adelaide wouldn’t try it if he wasn’t from SA, and if they didn’t consistently leak Victorian players. Their greater concern probably is that his stepfather played for Port and given than he just recently adopted said stepfather’s name (in spite of him being convicted and jailed for domestic violence, which indicates they’re very close) he’d probably choose Port over the Crows if he goes back to SA

If you read the article on the topic, he changed his name recently because he had to wait until he was 18 to do so.

He also changed his name because his brother, sister and mother had all already changed their names a while ago to Horne-Francis.

A very long bow to relate it back to Port.

His pull was so strong for Port Adelaide as a kid that he never supported them and he played for the South Adelaide Panthers....

I would have almost taken that Adelaide deal if I was North.

Would North supporters want the club to have taken it if was [1] for [4 + Adelaide and Melbournes future 1st]?
A lot of our board is a bit biased on the matter because we watched the second half of his SANFL season every weekend and he played really well, including both finals.

I would say if we knew Adelaide's pick was another top 5 and Melbourne's was below 15, then we would be really tempted as that is a huge offer.

The thing is that Adelaide is an improving club and Melbourne isn't going to be dropping down the latter for a few years, so there is a bit of risk there.

Bollocks. JHF appears to be a generational player/talent..

Absolutely no doubt players taken at that range will not come close to the impact and ability of Horne-Francis, they would have been fools to take that deal.
Hilarious statement before any of these kids have played an AFL game.

If it was that easy to predict, then the best players in the draft in order would be the 1st pick, then 2nd pick, then 3rd..... etc. in that order.

No draft has ever worked out that way. Both Tom Scully and Jack Trengove were meant to be better players than Dusty. Fyfe was taken much later in the same draft.

If you read the article on the topic, he changed his name recently because he had to wait until he was 18 to do so.

He also changed his name because his brother, sister and mother had all already changed their names a while ago to Horne-Francis.

A very long bow to relate it back to Port.

His pull was so strong for Port Adelaide as a kid that he never supported them and he played for the South Adelaide Panthers....
I think it’s a longer bow to draw to say ‘this 18yo is so loyal that Adelaide know he’ll never leave North’ than to say ‘he’d rather play for Port than Adelaide because his stepfather played for them’

I still can't get my head around North knocking back the Crows offer...

Is the kid really that good?

It's a lot of expectation to put on him too.

I would have almost taken that Adelaide deal if I was North.

Would North supporters want the club to have taken it if was [1] for [4 + Adelaide and Melbournes future 1st]?

Who can say for sure, but JHF seems to be a once in generation type of elite talent, in context Gold Coast offered pick 2 and 6 for pick 1 in the Sam Walsh draft I believe and we rightfully knocked that back.

I am very confident Horne-Francis still be a better player than anyone taken with picks the Crows offered for Pick 1, quality is always better than quantity when it comes to draft picks imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilarious statement before any of these kids have played an AFL game.

If it was that easy to predict, then the best players in the draft in order would be the 1st pick, then 2nd pick, then 3rd..... etc. in that order.

No draft has ever worked out that way.

I think drafting has become more exact and precision based since that.

As I say in my previous post, Carlton were offered a tasty offer for our number 1 pick a few years ago, but I wouldn't trade Sam Walsh for anyone else in this league.

I still can't get my head around North knocking back the Crows offer...

Is the kid really that good?

It's a lot of expectation to put on him too.
1 and a future early 20s pick for 4, Adelaide's pick (could be anything 2-8) and Melbourne (high teens) is not super outlandish.

If they didn't ask for a future second back, we may have bitten.

Guessing Adelaide think so.

For them atleast its a SA talent. Massive risk for North to back in that same horse. He has to be better than 3x first rounders AND also be ok moving his life for the next 12-13years....

I fail to see how this works for North.

Surely 3x first rounders would serve them better than 1x top quality first rounder (no matter how good he is rated).
As a club I would think they'd be better off with the 3 picks.

He must be good......!

Who can say for sure, but JHF seems to be a once in generation type of elite talent, in context Gold Coast offered pick 2 and 6 for pick 1 in the Sam Walsh draft I believe and we rightfully knocked that back.

Rightly knocked it back?

I'd absolutely swap 1 for 2 + 6 in Walsh's draft.

Walsh is good, but Smith is not that far off, and when you add Lukosious on top and it's a no-brainer.

I think drafting has become more exact and precision based since that.

As I say in my previous post, Carlton were offered a tasty offer for our number 1 pick a few years ago, but I wouldn't trade Sam Walsh for anyone else in this league.
Sam Walsh has proven to be elite though, JHF hasn't even touched down for preseason day 1.

No matter how good Walsh becomes, he wouldn't be more beneficial than multiple stars.

Getting one of Ben/Max King/Rozee (current top 5) + one of Luke Jackson/Rowell/Anderson (future top 5) and then a later first round pick is probably more impact than having the best individual player in Walsh alone.

The purpose is to win flags with a team, not have the best individual player.

Sam Walsh has proven to be elite though, JHF hasn't even touched down for preseason day 1.

No matter how good Walsh becomes, he wouldn't be more beneficial than multiple stars.

Getting one of Ben/Max King/Rozee (current top 5) + one of Luke Jackson/Rowell/Anderson (future top 5) and then a later first round pick is probably more impact than having the best individual player in Walsh alone.

The purpose is to win flags with a team, not have the best individual player.
That is all good on paper but multiple draft picks dont always add up to Jacksons Rowells and Kings though Give me 1 Dusty anytime,

For them atleast its a SA talent. Massive risk for North to back in that same horse. He has to be better than 3x first rounders AND also be ok moving his life for the next 12-13years....

I fail to see how this works for North.

Surely 3x first rounders would serve them better than 1x top quality first rounder (no matter how good he is rated).
As a club I would think they'd be better off with the 3 picks.

He must be good......!

Do you think we'd be better off with the three picks?

It's just about showing what could potentially be available, given that JHF is also entirely potential based at this stage.
Yeah i suppose the whole draft is potential based at this stage then. I will just potentially pick Jason and back my judgement.

surprised how many people think that was a great offer. not trying to be snarky but did you read past the headline?

1. sliding 1-4 is a significant downgrade in this draft.
2. adelaides 2022 pick could be anything. its a big gamble.
3. the other pick upgrade is almost nothing.

nowhere near it for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back