Opinion The players you've been wrong about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Always followed AT closely as he came from Marcellin old boys where I played to Collingwood. Murray Browne, ex Collingwood and Jeffs brother was coaching us at time and recommended AT to the Pies as an overager. Reckon after 94 he maybe enjoyed the limelight too much. Remember watching the Footy Show end of year shows and he was enjoying that too much.

Another Marcellin boy I had high hopes for was the Bear. Hopefully one of the Browns or Bianco or all 3 can fly the flag this year.

I was never a big fan of the bear but I'm still hopeful about the Brown boys. I hope Callum gets more spells on the ball this year. He cops his fair share on this site and fair enough but he has been played out of position for years.

I thought John Markov was going to do well when he got drafted but he couldn't break into the seniors. In childhood he was a gifted athlete and a very nice guy.

I will admit that I liked Terry Keays as well. :)

In the last 10 years...

- Josh Daicos. Thought at the end of 2019 that Callum Brown had the brighter future of the two. Then he comes back lean, with much more run and a better burst of pace.

- Chris Mayne. Thought he might be okay as a pressure forward... clearly wasn’t... then thought it was worst trade... in the end it wasn’t... he ended up having some good games through the middle. Great 2018 GF.

- Kyle Martin. Thought he was going to play 100 senior games. Highly skilled, ball magnet who kicked bags of goals. Was Petracca like... in the VFL

- Dayne Beams. The price paid for him aside... Thought off the back of his 2018 form at the lions where he averaged 29 touches, 3 tackles, 5 clearances and nearly a goal a game... that he’d be a solid pick up and help us go one further in 2019/20

Several names on the current list that I’d written off (Ruscoe, Moore) that have since come good... or been bullish on early but years later are yet to make it (Noble, Keane, T Brown)

Will have to revisit it 12 months from now

I had the same high hopes for Beamer V2... Didn't that one bite us on the bum?

I knew Josh was going to come good. :)

Not convinced Noble will get any better than he is now.

Paul Seedsman - Thought we didnt lose much when we let him go. Would love him on the wing currently. Raking those kicks into the forward 50

Years ago, I was watching an Essendon player in the ressies having a good game. I declared to an Essendon supporting friend that he looked good but would just be a flaky flanker in the AFL. I won't ever live that one down - it was James ******* Hird.

A few immediately come to mind.

After 2016 I thought Ben Crocker was going to be a decent forward for us. I'm sure I was one of many who thought Kennedy and Broomhead were going to be great talents. Jono Marsh I was a huge fan of too. Not with us anymore but I suspect Stephenson isn't going to reach the consistent game breaking heights I predicted for him.

Definitely got Howe wrong. Thought moving him down back was a desperate move that didn't show any persistence in the role we recruited him to fill.

I don't know if I can say I was wrong about Ben Sinclair, since his concussions robbed him of the chance to prove me wrong completely. But when he came into the AFL side as a defender, he was definitely on track to do so.

Toovey and Dunn are the big ones for me because I was just completely against them offering us anything. Varcoe was 50/50 because I don’t think he offered us much after year 1 (he was basically 2021 WHE for 16-20), but I was really hard on that decision so I’m not fussed if that’s considered one I got wrong.

Roughead and Mayne were two recruitment decisions I disagreed with, but primarily for what they were originally recruited for. Neither would have lasted beyond their initial contracts in those original roles so I’m thankful they were switched around.

Going the other way there’s Broomhead and Murphy. I was genuinely stoked with those recruitment decisions early days, but neither were/ are AFL talents.

Credit to Roughie and Mayne for being as adaptive as they have. Mayne especially had to pivot as well as overcome emotional hurdles.

Spot on about Toovey and Dunn. Neither struck me as players that would go on to become assets for the club.

Years ago, I was watching an Essendon player in the ressies having a good game. I declared to an Essendon supporting friend that he looked good but would just be a flaky flanker in the AFL. I won't ever live that one down - it was James ******* Hird.
You were right!

Brent Ironbar Tuckey, I waited patiently for quite a few years believing he would one day be a star, but it turned out he was more the aluminium man than Ironman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much youth in the Collingwood senior list and we each have our own predictions for the realisation of their potential.

We like to think of ourselves as astute readers of a player's potential but I'm confident we've all gotten some wrong in the past; comically so.

I probably miss more than most but my biggest blooper would be thinking that Heath Shaw was never going to amount to much. :) No sh*t, all I saw was a skinny bow-legged kid with an awkward running style.

Will remember him as an absolute gun and one of my favourite players of that era.

EDIT: In his first year I also thought Dawes was going to be a gun. :tearsofjoy:

Dawes had a Very Good 2010/2011 Season but sadly a Hand Injury really Buggered him up

In 2010-2011 Daisy was better than Pendles which is saying more about just how good Thomas was.

Pendlebury is now by far the more accomplished player.
Nah not 2010-11. Pendles had left Daisy in his wake by then even though they were Daisys best years. Those 2 years Pendles 45 Brownlow votes to 14, Pendles 2nd B&F, 1st B&F, Daisy 3rd and 6th. Pendles AA x2, Daisy x1. Pendles Norm Smith x1.

Daisy was good, Pendles was ascending to Collingwood legend.

My initial rating was thinking Daisy was going to be better year 1 and 2

Nah not 2010-11. Pendles had left Daisy in his wake by then even though they were Daisys best years. Those 2 years Pendles 45 Brownlow votes to 14, Pendles 2nd B&F, 1st B&F, Daisy 3rd and 6th. Pendles AA x2, Daisy x1. Pendles Norm Smith x1.

Daisy was good, Pendles was ascending to Collingwood legend.

My initial rating was thinking Daisy was going to be better year 1 and 2

I much prefer to argue with your brother but here goes.

In 1990 Liba got more Brownlow votes than G. Wright. Not to tar Pendles with that brush, only to highlight that Daisy's position would never earn him as many umpire points as Pendlebury got.

It's hard to quantify these statements as they're subjective but Ross Lyon's opinion was that Daisy was the best player in the league during those years. I'm not Robinson Crusoe in this view.

So much youth in the Collingwood senior list and we each have our own predictions for the realisation of their potential.

We like to think of ourselves as astute readers of a player's potential but I'm confident we've all gotten some wrong in the past; comically so.

I probably miss more than most but my biggest blooper would be thinking that Heath Shaw was never going to amount to much. :) No sh*t, all I saw was a skinny bow-legged kid with an awkward running style.

Will remember him as an absolute gun and one of my favourite players of that era.

EDIT: In his first year I also thought Dawes was going to be a gun. :tearsofjoy:

I didn't think much of Swan his first few games. I also thought Dunn and Roughead were poor recruits when we brought them in and quickly ate my words.

It took me awhile to warm to Maynard. Loved his intent at ball and player but would tear my hair out at the turnovers. I thought he was gifted games early (I still do) but you can see why they fast tracked his development.

I thought McGough was gonna be a gun after ANZAC day. I thought Anthony was going to be more than a 1 year wonder. I thought Shannon Cox was going to be awesome off half back.

My Major one I can think of Toovey. Thought he was Utterly Usless and a Terrible Kick and I even remember saying we never win a Flag with him in the Team. Glad to be wrong though

I thought Cameron Wood was going to become a Very Good Ruckman but sadly never really got better and was probably too much on the Soft Side

Thought Jarrad Blight had a Bright Future but could not put 100% into playing AFL

False positives: Danny Stanley, Mark McGough, Brad Dick, Chad Rintoul, Tom Hunter, Matt Scharenberg, Andrew Williams.

False negatives: Alan Toovey, Ben Johnson, Leigh Brown.

A few of those false positives were due to injury. You're being harsh on yourself including them. Imagine if Lee Walker, Sean Rusling and Tom Davidson had a clear run at it?

Simon Prestigiacomo - thought he was too skinny and too slow.

Dane Swan - I turned up to watch training. Reckon Harry was new at the club - was keenly observing what drills he was doing etc. About maybe 30 minutes, possibly an hour into the session this guy rocks up to training in casual clothes. He had a chat with MM. It was good ol Dane Swan.

I was like, this guy aint serious.

I had a lot of hope for Damian Adkins which didn't amount to much for us.

He was exciting! Didn't do a whole heap in WC either.

I much prefer to argue with your brother but here goes.

In 1990 Liba got more Brownlow votes than G. Wright. Not to tar Pendles with that brush, only to highlight that Daisy's position would never earn him as many umpire points as Pendlebury got.

It's hard to quantify these statements as they're subjective but Ross Lyon's opinion was that Daisy was the best player in the league during those years. I'm not Robinson Crusoe in this view.
and I would much prefer to argue with you....

Maybe take the Brownlow in isolation but Pendles won more AAs, better in B&Fs, much better in AFLCA awards, won a Norm Smith. For me the evidence is there.

Like the Ross Lyon quote because this is where the Daisy is greater than he is came from. Trouble is I am sure Ross Lyon didnt think Daisy was the best player in the comp, it was just a coach stirring the pot. Ross was the Saints coach and he made the claim a few days before we met the Saints. Also chucked into the quote "everyone goes on about Goddards finals" while pumping Daisys tires to the max.

This was a classic of an opposition coach using the media to fire up his own player. Saying how good Daisy was and at the same time having a dip at his own "best player player in the comp" Goddard, who was struggling at the time, was coaching mind games. Not sure why a coach doing that wasnt as transparent as it should have been. Goddard would have been raring to prove that week who was the "best in the comp".

Probably worked too. Goddard averaged 21 possies in the 9 games leading up to Collingwood. Average 28+ for the next 8 games. Spiked his performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back