Competitions AFL Mock Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still cannot believe you got both Hobbs and Ward. For all the crap some Richmond nuffies like to pile on us, they would love our draft right about now :tearsofjoy:

I cant either..i wanted either hobbs or ward at 9 but ended up with both so id be super happy both on value but also need. We saw how deficient richmond were in contested ball this year and yes some of thats due to their gameplan but they need a consistent coalface mid as cotchin and edwards are close to done and prestia is injury prone. Hobbs offers that and exudes leadership qualities and his vision in congestion with handball excites me dare i say its sam mitchell like. Ward is equally adept on the inside but also offers real zip away from the contest and delivery inside 50 which is something richmond will need if they play less chaos ball.

I dont think im giving away any secrets that ill need to look taller with my later picks given richmonds list demographic but very happy so far.

I tossed up between Brown and Butler at the previous pick.
I kinda stuffed up with Ward (spinning that Vdubs took JVR so early, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) but do like Butlers' traits and think he'll fit in well at the Lions.

Pick22.
Josh Goater (Calder Cannons)
190cm midfielder/defender

Big-bodied midfielder that should suit the high intesity Melb game style most will be trying imitate. Weakness is probably kicking but can sprint out of the stoppages and use his leap to advantage anywhere around the ground to be a link mid. While he is still considered a raw prospect, probably a touch of boom or bust but has been linked to WA , has some family in WA and possibly top10 value.

View attachment 1267959

Huge get at Freo's last early pick - noice!

Thats fair.

I have to take one of my kids to the dentist in the morning but ill message you my pick in case im not on so im not holding anyone up.

Not to derail the thread but meant to ask, how did your little man go? Having a dentist you trust is major.

The waiting is the hardest part ;)

With Pick Number 24.... Hawthorn selects.

Campbell CHESSER

Ticks a few boxes with plenty of upside

You're Up Shadow89

AWESOME pick...and even better, because you didn't pick my guy 🥳🤩😍!!

If this was actually draft night, this is where I hope he would fall. He's been my favourite in this range for weeks now, and has overtaken several others to go to the top of my draft wishlist.

With our first pick of the draft, the Geelong Cats welcome....

Pick 25. - Zac Taylor

This kid is everything I want and more for our midfield. He's clean - tick. He has decent speed and agility tick. Kicks inside 50 are Duncan'esque. In fact, this is basically Mitch Duncan at the start of his career, except a few kegs lighter and 8cm shorter. Will start off as a half forward, providing plenty of pinpoint attack into our forward half, and will eventually transition as a highly skilled mid come 2023/2024.

Averaged 34+ disposals over 3 games, and took out the Calder Cannons B + F, showing how much talent this kid really has.

AFL Draft Central player summary for anyone who's interested:

POSITION: Midfielder/Small Forward

SNAPSHOT: “A crafty small prospect with outstanding vision, skills and decision making, Taylor has no trouble finding the ball and makes things happen in possession.”

One of the players who hit peak form just as Victoria’s season was shut down, Zac Taylor produced incredible numbers towards the back-end of 2021. Having made a steady start to the year rotating forward from midfield, he began to take full toll around the ball and eventually featured among a stacked Vic Metro centre bounce mix. The 180cm talent took out Calder Cannons’ best and fairest award and was named in the NAB League team of the year, capping a super campaign which has seen him rise into second round contention. With clean skills and one of the best kicks going around, Taylor is a creative player who can hurt the opposition with ball in hand.

STRENGTHS:

+ Skills
+ Smarts
+ Kicking
+ Evasion
+ Work rate

IMPROVEMENTS:

– Strength
– Inside game

While he will likely be made to spend plenty of time in the front half, Taylor arguably does his best work in midfield. He showcased that with a super run of form in the NAB League, where he averaged 34.3 disposals, 7.0 marks, 6.0 tackles, and 5.6 inside 50s across a three-game stretch. In that run, Taylor not only let his strengths shine, but also proved his areas of growth were coming along nicely.

Looking at Taylor’s best traits, he has all the smarts and skills expected of high-level small prospects. He’s the type of player who looks to get creative with every touch, carving space around him and delivering effective disposals by hand and foot. His kicking is particularly notable, with Taylor exactly the man you want sending the ball inside attacking 50.

A handy aide to Taylor’s production is his vision and evasive technique. As a clever and slippery small, he is seldom caught in possession and often looks to navigate through congestion first, before assessing his options and hitting a target. With that ability to manufacture a bit of time, Taylor is able to consistently make good decisions and execute his skills cleanly.

On the flip-side, Taylor has been working on his inside game. It is listed as an improvement but arguably is not a weakness and moreso an area Taylor can continue to enhance. At 74kg, he will likely need to put on a bit of size before experiencing the rigours of AFL-level midfield work, which may see him gain an initiation up forward or on the outside. Though, during the latter parts of 2021, he showed a nice balance in his ball winning and does not play a strength-based style given his ability to escape trouble with agility.

Having spent a good amount of time in the forward half during his Under 16 and 19 representative duties, and in Calder colours, Taylor could also look to impact the scoreboard a touch more. He is certainly capable of finding the goals, but is more often the one assisting inside attacking 50 or working high up the ground. That was shown as he only registered one major score in seven NAB League games this year.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 25-40 (I think it's more likely to be 17-30 at this stage now IMO)

SUMMARY:

A player who suits the modern game with his quick thinking and efficient ball use, Taylor is one of the more intriguing small prospects to consider. With the toughness, ball winning ability, and work rate to play midfield, he may have to find his way in there through other roles but has the versatility to do so. The draft crop is very even around the range he sits, and Taylor looms as a handy second round option who could provide great value given his professionalism and growing ability.

Woooop! Gee Class Loco you're back up for Hawthorn (need to amend the draft board as I realized I still have a Dogs pick in there at 26, but will do that when Owens inevitably gets bid on)

This is Pick 26 now for Hawthorn

Welcome to the team Zac, you're gonna look great in the hoops!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AWESOME pick...and even better, because you didn't pick my guy 🥳🤩😍!!

If this was actually draft night, this is where I hope he would fall. He's been my favourite in this range for weeks now, and has overtaken several others to go to the top of my draft wishlist.

With our first pick of the draft, the Geelong Cats welcome....

Pick 25. - Zac Taylor

This kid is everything I want and more for our midfield. He's clean - tick. He has decent speed and agility tick. Kicks inside 50 are Duncan'esque. In fact, this is basically Mitch Duncan at the start of his career, except a few kegs lighter and 8cm shorter. Will start off as a half forward, providing plenty of pinpoint attack into our forward half, and will eventually transition as a highly skilled mid come 2023/2024.

Averaged 34+ disposals over 3 games, and took out the Calder Cannons B + F, showing how much talent this kid really has.

AFL Draft Central player summary for anyone who's interested:

POSITION: Midfielder/Small Forward

SNAPSHOT: “A crafty small prospect with outstanding vision, skills and decision making, Taylor has no trouble finding the ball and makes things happen in possession.”

One of the players who hit peak form just as Victoria’s season was shut down, Zac Taylor produced incredible numbers towards the back-end of 2021. Having made a steady start to the year rotating forward from midfield, he began to take full toll around the ball and eventually featured among a stacked Vic Metro centre bounce mix. The 180cm talent took out Calder Cannons’ best and fairest award and was named in the NAB League team of the year, capping a super campaign which has seen him rise into second round contention. With clean skills and one of the best kicks going around, Taylor is a creative player who can hurt the opposition with ball in hand.

STRENGTHS:

+ Skills
+ Smarts
+ Kicking
+ Evasion
+ Work rate

IMPROVEMENTS:

– Strength
– Inside game

While he will likely be made to spend plenty of time in the front half, Taylor arguably does his best work in midfield. He showcased that with a super run of form in the NAB League, where he averaged 34.3 disposals, 7.0 marks, 6.0 tackles, and 5.6 inside 50s across a three-game stretch. In that run, Taylor not only let his strengths shine, but also proved his areas of growth were coming along nicely.

Looking at Taylor’s best traits, he has all the smarts and skills expected of high-level small prospects. He’s the type of player who looks to get creative with every touch, carving space around him and delivering effective disposals by hand and foot. His kicking is particularly notable, with Taylor exactly the man you want sending the ball inside attacking 50.

A handy aide to Taylor’s production is his vision and evasive technique. As a clever and slippery small, he is seldom caught in possession and often looks to navigate through congestion first, before assessing his options and hitting a target. With that ability to manufacture a bit of time, Taylor is able to consistently make good decisions and execute his skills cleanly.

On the flip-side, Taylor has been working on his inside game. It is listed as an improvement but arguably is not a weakness and moreso an area Taylor can continue to enhance. At 74kg, he will likely need to put on a bit of size before experiencing the rigours of AFL-level midfield work, which may see him gain an initiation up forward or on the outside. Though, during the latter parts of 2021, he showed a nice balance in his ball winning and does not play a strength-based style given his ability to escape trouble with agility.

Having spent a good amount of time in the forward half during his Under 16 and 19 representative duties, and in Calder colours, Taylor could also look to impact the scoreboard a touch more. He is certainly capable of finding the goals, but is more often the one assisting inside attacking 50 or working high up the ground. That was shown as he only registered one major score in seven NAB League games this year.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 25-40 (I think it's more likely to be 17-30 at this stage now IMO)

SUMMARY:

A player who suits the modern game with his quick thinking and efficient ball use, Taylor is one of the more intriguing small prospects to consider. With the toughness, ball winning ability, and work rate to play midfield, he may have to find his way in there through other roles but has the versatility to do so. The draft crop is very even around the range he sits, and Taylor looms as a handy second round option who could provide great value given his professionalism and growing ability.

Woooop! Gee Class Loco you're back up for Hawthorn (need to amend the draft board as I realized I still have a Dogs pick in there at 26, but will do that when Owens inevitably gets bid on)

This is Pick 26 now for Hawthorn

Welcome to the team Zac, you're gonna look great in the hoops!

Im sure YOTC will approve. Do you consider him ready to play. I haven't really watched him or noticed him so no firm opinion but the 34pos pergame stat is interesting to me. One thing that seems consistant with kids...is if the can fins the ball at lower levels they can often do it higher.

With Pick 26 hawthorn selects....

Cooper MURLEY

A Quick medium Midfielder come Forward. Plenty of toe and upside.

Your Up next Pure_Ownage

Sorry for the delay guys.
Carlton's a tough one as we really only have one decent pick and a few holes that need filling.
For me while i think they could use another key back and fwd long term midfield is still where they are weak compared to top 8 teams so thats the target area. While Cerra will help he is best on the outside delivering insidr 50 imo rather than the coalface stuff and Cripps and Walsh need support at the coalface.
With that in mind im taking the best clearance mid left at pick #27 in Matty Roberts!

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ADU...wqsBegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0K6ahLth_kNK4TvISw5q-2

He is #15 on my board so good value here and while he polarises people i think hes a first round talent..his performances at senior level have been really good and i think he could play round 1. What he brings is fantastic ball winning ability and vision to release runners by hand plus his kicking is very underrated.

Other players i considered; knevitt is the other mid i really like at this pick but i feel roberts is a bit more ready to go given experience at senior level and carlton really need that. I considered aleer and a couple of other talls but i think carlton will go smaller because thats where the depth in this pool is. I considered conway as a ruck but i think talls in 2022 draft is a better option. I was close to taking motlop or clarke as a small forward need but roberts is too good to ignore.

Ill do richmonds oicks shortly just checking my board.
I would auction this pick with live trading if we were allowed as i find that fun but ill take all 3 picks.

Im sure YOTC will approve. Do you consider him ready to play. I haven't really watched him or noticed him so no firm opinion but the 34pos pergame stat is interesting to me. One thing that seems consistant with kids...is if the can fins the ball at lower levels they can often do it higher.

I honestly do. He literally only needs one pre-season with us, and he'll be at a good weight for someone who is 5'11 (74 kegs now, could get up to 77 or so in his first pre-season). I think of someone like Zach Merrett, who was basically drafted at the same pick, who played straight off the bat. That's how good I think this kid could be, and who he most resembles

Turbocat are you matching?

St Kilda match

P28. Mitch Owens Sandringham Dragons

191cm

Kid seem to be elevating up the draft board and that Stkilda get him at 28 may be fortunate.

St Kilda’s Next Generation Academy midfielder Mitch Owens has surged up the draft order to set up a nerve-racking draft night for the Saints, who could lose him to a rival side.
Sandringham Dragons midfielder Owens is available to St Kilda as an NGA prospect only if he falls outside of the protected top 20 selections in the national draft.

But rivals are considering taking him in the late teens given his emerging midfield game because they believe he has a huge upside curtailed by two NAB League seasons impacted by Covid.

As a 191cm midfielder who was just exploding in the back half of the season before the NAB league was shut down, he would perfectly complement the Saints midfield.

Shadow89

see if I have this right ... P28 ... 541 points...

Last edited:
St Kilda match

Shadow89

see if I have this right ... P28 ... 541 points...

Fixed discount of 197 points after R1. P28 677 means you need 480 pts to match .
By my count you lose 52 56 57 and get p60 back as a residual pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back