Society/Culture Hypocrisy of The Left - part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call, and if I was painting myself as a True Neutral then I certainly would be a hypocrite. But I'm not neutral. I agree with what's behind the Black Lives Matter movement, as in black lives actually mattering enough not to get killed by police. Let the record show I didn't actually get out there and protest.

The freedom riots. A nucleus of legitimate lockdown pain that was fairly peaceful until it got hijacked by far right f*ckwits and turned violent. That's when my sympathy dried up. If I could have a sworn enemy if would be those arseholes, the far right. Beat them into the ground for all I care.

You're right to question my motivations though. Never be afraid to pull anyone up on hypocrisy if you think it's there.
Nice post...Agreed, still not sure the far right have a mortgage on the anti-vaxxer piece though.

'Cancel culture', like 'woke', is just another meaningless term used in place of an actual argument. Why should comedy be above criticism?

It has a legit definition, whether or not it is constantly misused. Cancel culture can be used by sensitive conservatives as well as progressives, to get uncomfortable material banned, usually by appealing to a social media mob.

It has a legit definition, whether or not it is constantly misused. Cancel culture can be used by sensitive conservatives as well as progressives, to get uncomfortable material banned, usually by appealing to a social media mob.
People wheel out 'cancel culture' to make themselves look like the victim when in reality they've just received a backlash for saying or doing something that deserves a backlash, as has been the case forever. You'll notice that there isn't much offered up in a way of defence of the words or actions, just bleating about free speech and 'cancel culture'.

People wheel out 'cancel culture' to make themselves look like the victim when in reality they've just received a backlash for saying or doing something that deserves a backlash, as has been the case forever. You'll notice that there isn't much offered up in a way of defence of the words or actions, just bleating about free speech and 'cancel culture'.
That's the constant misuse part. But there are other legit aspects to it too. The most famous recent one might be Dave Chappelle.
IDK if review bombing is cancel culture but it has some of the same dynamics. They did this to the Fauci documentary on Rotten Tomatoes

That's the constant misuse part. But there are other legit aspects to it too. The most famous recent one might be Dave Chappelle.
IDK if review bombing is cancel culture but it has some of the same dynamics. They did this to the Fauci documentary on Rotten Tomatoes
Criticism and backlash has always existed, but now Dave Chappelle gets to go around crying 'cancel culture' and making out he's the victim when you can still watch his special and he still getting paid. It's almost as if they think you can say anything at all without any repercussions.

Criticism and backlash has always existed, but now Dave Chappelle gets to go around crying 'cancel culture' and making out he's the victim when you can still watch his special and he still getting paid. It's almost as if they think you can say anything at all without any repercussions.

What if the whole Cancel Culture thing is actually a planned PR stunt to get free advertising? Claim you are being cancelled and then everyone wants to watch and see why you are apparently getting cancelled...

What if the whole Cancel Culture thing is actually a planned PR stunt to get free advertising? Claim you are being cancelled and then everyone wants to watch and see why you are apparently getting cancelled...
Old as the hills. Those movies that got banned in Queensland used to put a big sash in the corner of the VHS cover saying “Banned in Queensland!!!”

So you're back to claiming to not understand what words mean?

And your claim about there being no "defence of the words or actions" is also obviously false.

Take, for example, the professor who was recently hounded out of a job for showing his class the 1965 version of Othello, in which Laurence Olivier blacked up to play the lead role.

Here's an argument against this being so outrageous that he deserved to be forced out of his job.

None of this alters the fact that some folks did indeed try to get his special pulled. That impulse is an example of cancel culture. Why do they want it taken off Netflix? Why isn't it enough for them to criticise/disagree or to simply not watch it? Because they're doing more than simply criticising Chappelle's special. Instead, they want to make sure that no one can watch it. Why?

No one is claiming this illiberal impulse is new.

However, it has traditionally been the wheelhouse of conservatives and religious wowsers e.g. Salman Rushdie, the Dixie Chicks, Piss Christ.

That's changed in the age of social media, where cancel culture has been increasingly deployed in defence of new progressive orthodoxies. That's what's new.

Why don't you try making an argument for a change instead of simply pretending the phrase doesn't describe anything real, when it clearly does?

Last edited:
When do you think we'll ever hear from Dave Chappelle again?

He hasn't been cancelled, they just tried to cancel him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chappelle was cancelled in the same way Andrew Bolt is in that uses his frequent appearances across all media platforms to tell to millions of people how he's being silenced. It's a neat trick but I'm not sure why people fall for it.

He hasn't been cancelled, they just tried to cancel him.

It's a term that normally refers to disrupting someone's career. Don't be deliberately obtuse.
OK, so some people made noise about wanting that show taken off Netflix.

So nobody tried to "cancel" him personally. They just objected to content he created.

Do people not have a right to label him transphobic? Why are you trying to cancel them?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's the attempt partly from Netflix employees and from social media pressure to remove him from Netflix which I cited as a possible example of cancel culture. You can call him transphobic if you want I guess.

OK, so some people made noise about wanting that show taken off Netflix.

So nobody tried to "cancel" him personally. They just objected to content he created.

Cancelling involves an extra push usually via social media to take down someone's business. Cancelling lectures, shows, etc.

Cancelling involves an extra push usually via social media to take down someone's business. Cancelling lectures, shows, etc.

Defunding the ABC? Banning discussion of CRT? Abolishing safe schools?yasmin? McIntyre? Kapaernick? Any criticism of anzacs?

Should I go on?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back