News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

'Usheen' or 'Oh-sheen' depending on regional pronunciation.
I've heard both used for him regularly.
I've never heard him say his own name so I'm not 100% sure what he calls himself!
Substantially easier than many Irish names

I think his nickname could end up being 11. As in oceans 11. Any takers?

Number 11 also recently vacated by Jenkins

Looks physically well developed and seriously quick. It's a great sign that we're attracting the elite Irish talent. First O'Connor was considered a generational talent and now this guy has just won the equivalent to the rising star.

I'd expect him to play at some point next year especially if he shows professionalism off field and some natural talent. O'Connor was far less physically ready but we gave him a debut after just a handful of VFL games and he was in our best 22 for finals in his second year so we're not afraid to throw them in the deep end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always speculative, Irish recruits with their development needs and possible home sickness but very Encouraging footage - very good speed and inclination to take on/line break but also (on limited footage) appears good by foot (nice low pass without the usual Gaelic footy step to the side) and strong hands. Might adapt quickly.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like handpassing is going to be an issue - looks good off the left and right :thumbsu:

Don't disagree at all. But, as always, it's all going to be about whether he can end up kicking the footy proficiently. Okunbor (for all his physicality) never really got on top of this component of the game. And I believe it cost him any realistic chance he might have had of making it as an AFL player.

Look forward to Oisin rounding out what looks to be a compelling array of talents and competitive spirit with an ability to hit targets by foot with the Sherrin. Can certainly see him making it if he gets on top of this facet of the game early in his time with us.

He looks dynamic! Give him the now free 11 for sure. He'd be a great follow up to Corey and Kelly

I hope he has played some rugby union as well. That would help him adjust to AFL.

Don't think he has any rugby background. Not that it makes any difference. None of the successful Irish AFL converts had either.

Definitely as in you know for sure, or Definitely as in you think he looks taller?

I don't know his official height, but 178cm is about 5'10".
Would have thought he was 6' minimum but maybe I'm overestimating because he's also played full-back for Mayo and that's usually a 'big guy' (in relative terms) position in gaelic football.
For comparison purposes, I think he'd be at least the same height as Zach Tuohy.
Could be wrong though.
We don't really have much interest in stats in the GAA (other than scoring) so you pretty much have to guess the players height & weight.

At the 2020 Europe combine Mullin's 20m sprint (2.86sec) agility (8.06sec) and Vertical Jump (70cm) would have placed him as the fastest at the 2020 Australian NAB combine, 3rd in agility and equal 3rd in Standing jump.

He’s athletic.

Fast twitch by the looks of it. Plenty to work with. Cant wait to see him with ball in hand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back