Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

On the subject of female board members, shame we haven’t heard more from Amanda Cameron.

I’m a bit surprised that in the year 2021 that candidates who are going for election aren’t putting themselves out there more.

We’ve seen Callinan, Febbraio and MacDonald around on the socials.

AFAIK there’s been just the one rather perfunctory mainstream media piece on Sal Perna, and also Neil Wilson.

Browne is obviously working the mainstream media, and by proxy that has included Carp and Roberts. I’m totally confused where Holgate stands with all that, she’s sometimes mentioned in Browne statements, and sometimes not. Holgate has said nothing herself.

I’ve seen absolutely zero from Cameron and Moorhouse,

Seems as though Holgate is part of Browne's ticket.

It’s a reasonable and pragmatic reaction from Browne to the situation at hand. Got that?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's making a unilateral decision based on money. It's undemocratic.

I don't think it's showing good governance to agitate members to shoehorn his way in to the Board by trying to appeal to claims of being undemocratic and then turning his back on that kind of democracy when he's in power. It's an abuse of it.

There have been no other takers for the Board Nominee Talkback.
Jeff Browne responded initially but has not relplied since asking how we could set up a Q&A

This makes Chris Macdonald and Sean Callanan's willingness to chat even more outstanding and appreciated.

Regardless of their politics I would urge all members who can vote to seriously consider both of the nominees who took the time to speak with us before doing so.

There have been no other takers for the Board Nominee Talkback.
Jeff Browne responded initially but has not relplied since asking how we could set up a Q&A

This makes Chris Macdonald and Sean Callanan's willingness to chat even more outstanding and appreciated.

Regardless of their politics I would urge all members who can vote to seriously consider both of the nominees who took the time to speak with us before doing so.
I have held off voting until I hear more from the candidates.
I’m shaping my dream team Gradually.
Will vote later next week.
I might even post a photo of myself voting…

To those who received a CorpVote email this morning, the link in that email contains a vote pertaining to the waving of the clause that would prevent the election of Neil Wilson due to him not being a Social Club member for 24 months.

They should have made this clearer.

Click and cast your vote.

1637817843315.png

To those who received a CorpVote email this morning, the link in that email contains a vote pertaining to the waving of the clause that would prevent the election of Neil Wilson due to him not being a Social Club member for 24 months.

They should have made this clearer.

Click and cast your vote.

View attachment 1287113
You’re correct, they should have made that clearer.
I just voted on that resolution (Wilson)

Trying to work out if it's CorpVote's error or general sneakiness!

In one of McGuire's Footy Calcified rants that he had heard about some ''branch-stacking" and other "shenanigans".

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/eddie-m...cs-as-collingwood-hits-new-low-023300498.html

Korda has a ticket and Wilson's on it.

My take was that this was going to be done by vote at the AGM if necessary (that’s what it says on the nominations page on the club website)

Running elections like this appears to be Corpvote’s core business and it’s in their own interests to run a fair election that is compliant with all the statutory requirements, and there is confidence in the result. It’d be bad for business if they didn’t ensure this integrity.

Obviously that doesn’t mean that they’re above making mistakes, but I’d imagine any candidate could have a chat with them if they thought something wasn’t being handled properly.

My take was that this was going to be done by vote at the AGM if necessary (that’s what it says on the nominations page on the club website)

Running elections like this appears to be Corpvote’s core business and it’s in their own interests to run a fair election that is compliant with all the statutory requirements, and there is confidence in the result. It’d be bad for business if they didn’t ensure this integrity.

Obviously that doesn’t mean that they’re above making mistakes, but I’d imagine any candidate could have a chat with them if they thought something wasn’t being handled properly.
Browne at the top of the voting page was as dodgy as hell

Browne at the top of the voting page was as dodgy as hell

I had a bit of a squiz at their website. I would have thought that a company that provides those services would declare their ownership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In one of McGuire's Footy Calcified rants that he had heard about some ''branch-stacking" and other "shenanigans".

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/eddie-m...cs-as-collingwood-hits-new-low-023300498.html

Korda doesn't have a ticket - he's already said he won't be putting his hand up for the Presidency. I get that you hate the guy but quit with the conspiracy theories.

He's making a unilateral decision based on money. It's undemocratic.

I don't think it's showing good governance to agitate members to shoehorn his way in to the Board by trying to appeal to claims of being undemocratic and then turning his back on that kind of democracy when he's in power. It's an abuse of it.

So you think he should not take steps to mitigate the potential loss of $15m in funding? I would call that uncommercial.

I have no feelings in particular about Browne but I wouldn’t be hanging him on this potential action.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Holy s**t...in other RECENT news Dustin Martin will miss the rest of the season with a kidney injury!!!!

That was in July FFS.
What did Donald Trump have to say?

Holy sh*t...in other RECENT news Dustin Martin will miss the rest of the season with a kidney injury!!!!

That was in July FFS.
What did Donald Trump have to say?
I'm not presenting this as news, sunshine!

I'm providing evidence of what McGuire said about "branch stacking". With our structure, that may involve free memberships and random membership upgrades from standard to Social and Legend Club memberships.

Korda doesn't have a ticket - he's already said he won't be putting his hand up for the Presidency. I get that you hate the guy but quit with the conspiracy theories.
Korda did say that when he assumed that Browne was going to get all 4 of his candidates in without any issue, but that might not happen.

This CorpVote email with the unannounced Neil Wilson voting link doesn't exactly inspire confidence that something dodgy isn't happening.

Yes, I assume the same.
Can either vote early on that resolution (now) or vote at the AGM?
Corpvote wouldn’t have a dog in the fight.
They just want to manage a proper & fair process.

So you think he should not take steps to mitigate the potential loss of $15m in funding?

I reckon you could make a good case that this was the job of the current board when they set up terms of reference for this election.

Not sure what they could have done - negotiated with the state government to secure the funding regardless of the democratic result? Set up a program to encourage female candidates? Advise the voting members of the situation at the nomination stage? Election stage? Etc, etc.

There are probably no easy answers, but would have thought the current administration would have more options than the next administration. And that the current admin should do everything they can to give the next administration an easy time of things.

I'm not presenting this as news, sunshine!

I'm providing evidence of what McGuire said about "branch stacking". With our structure, that may involve free memberships and random membership upgrades from standard to Social and Legend Club memberships.

I’ve seen evidence of the opposite.

I’ve literally seen the Legends Membership packs gifted to certain members free of charge.

Cui Bono?

Who gains? There are only two incumbents up for re-election, one is on Browne’s ticket. The other is not being supported by Browne. I don’t see the point of the incumbent board branch stacking?

And as I said, CorpVote seem to be in the business of ensuing election integrity - if a candidate has integrity concerns, then why aren’t they taking it up with Corpvote?

Who gains? There are only two incumbents up for re-election, one is on Browne’s ticket. The other is not being supported by Browne. I don’t see the point of the incumbent board branch stacking
It happened mid year, not recently, so you’d need to look at it through that lens and not after recent events.

Was strange behaviour to be honest! Sometimes people I knew just got random free memberships and upgrades. Especially weird when standard members got offered no discounts, something most other sporting organisations did, including my local tennis club.

As McGuire’s comments above show, it’s not something that I’m making up. It happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back