Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

These are the figures said poster outlined, 7-8 wins.

My prediction is 11+
Then offer him that if you're so confident. You can't offer a bet demanding no cushion to someone when you're taking a 3 game cushion on your opinion and then complain they wont stump up.

I wonder what old mate thought of JUH’s first few games.

Sounds like a very simple guy.
7 Goals in 5 games for a first year key forward is pretty impressive for a kid coming off no football in his top age year in under 18s and no pre season. Particularly in a side who played off in a grand final. It took McKay 3 years to kick that many goals in a season. And took Curnow until his second year to kick as many as JUH.

He would have played 20 games if he was unfortunate enough to be drafted by Carlton.

We nailed top picks to build on in Weitering, McKay, C. Curnow (pending fitness), Walsh. Our star power is fine.

Again, opposition supporters will sneer but we have players from mid/later picks who look promising as role players that I won't go into mentioning due to the inevitable back and forth of LOL SILVAGNI!! HAHA FISHER!!!11
Curnow has to have a big Q over him now.

Compared to the to Hipwood, Himmelberg he was behind...but showed more than Scache and the Weed.

You're right in the talent vs. hard work, and of those you mentioned, I'll back Saad and Williams to make the cut. Both have proven themselves at their former clubs. Saad had a decent year for us anyway, despite being completely dysfunctional on the rebound as a squad. If someone like Martin is a bust, then we have plenty of time to fix that - all our best players are 23-25 and we are a few years away from peaking.
More talking the leadership perspective and blokes who are selfless team first footballers.

Most of the Carlton guys I don't view as being team first, certainly talented, but see them more as the cream on the top types.

Which for mine crazy when trying to build a list, to not focus more on bringing in the strong characters and leaders.

Brisbane added Hodge/Birchall but also Neale, Lyons and McCarthy who were in their leadership group in 2021.

Difference between AA squad and making the team. We have had McKay, Walsh and Cripps (you can write him off all you want due to a couple of average years, but by the same token I hope you are happy to write off someone like Grundy) all make the team, with Weitering making the squad twice (arguably should've made the team this year). Our guys are a lot younger than the ones from other clubs as well. Did Saad make the squad once from memory?
As your note re Weiters, is their really that big a difference between squad and team? Just subjective view of the panel.

I only referred to those who made the AA squad in previous 2 seasons, to give some currency...and yes thus excluded Grundy, DeGoey, Howe, Sidebottom.

Saad, no he never been AA....like Jack Crisp from us.

So as you see having just 3 AAs, doesn't really stack up against teams around Carlton's level...let alone the top end.

If we have a decent run with injuries we make the 8 imo. I think Tigers will slip, that's the only one I'm pretty confident on.
Tigers didn't make the 8 in 2021...they were 12th, so them slipping further won't help you get in the 8.

FMD now we are judging whether a team can break into finals based on how many players have won AA honours, what bizarre analysis

2018 No Lions player made AA team, 2019 when they made finals 3 were selected
2020 No Bombers player made AA team, 2021 when they made finals 2 were selected
2020 No Swans player made AA team, 2021 when they made finals 1 was selected
2020 1 GWS player made AA team, 2021 when they made finals 1 was selected

Surely people understand the general correlation

Curnow has to have a big Q over him now.

Compared to the to Hipwood, Himmelberg he was behind...but showed more than Scache and the Weed.

More talking the leadership perspective and blokes who are selfless team first footballers.

Most of the Carlton guys I don't view as being team first, certainly talented, but see them more as the cream on the top types.

Which for mine crazy when trying to build a list, to not focus more on bringing in the strong characters and leaders.

Brisbane added Hodge/Birchall but also Neale, Lyons and McCarthy who were in their leadership group in 2021.

As your note re Weiters, is their really that big a difference between squad and team? Just subjective view of the panel.

I only referred to those who made the AA squad in previous 2 seasons, to give some currency...and yes thus excluded Grundy, DeGoey, Howe, Sidebottom.

Saad, no he never been AA....like Jack Crisp from us.

So as you see having just 3 AAs, doesn't really stack up against teams around Carlton's level...let alone the top end.

Tigers didn't make the 8 in 2021...they were 12th, so them slipping further won't help you get in the 8.

I'm not sure the argument that Carlton lacks top-end talent cuts it.

Walsh
Cripps*
McKay

Weitering will get at least one AA barring disaster.

Arguably Saad should have had an AA somewhere, as I think he's the best two-way small defender in the league but they don't seem to give small defenders who actually defend AA slots.

That's genuine top standard players in each section of the ground, it's the guys around them that need to make it work now.

I also don't think Cripps is done as an elite player, he's too young to have fallen off a cliff the way he has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton was ranked dead last in the AFL for disposals, second-last for contested possessions, third-last for tackles, clearances and disposal efficiency, 12th for intercepts and were one of the most inaccurate teams in front of goal......not to mention losing 1 of the elite defenders

Yeap, in 2020 Demons were last for tackles, 15th for clearances, 13th for efficiency. I am in shock that sides can turn this around in one off season

Lol what... Curnow is light years ahead of all those four.
Not Hipwood. You can argue you think he's better but light years?

Blokes played 4 games at the top level for the better part of 2 and a half seasons, quite simply we don't know how well he'll play 2022.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do, but you just keep looking at the raw numbers

Carlton was ranked dead last in the AFL for disposals, second-last for contested possessions, third-last for tackles, clearances and disposal efficiency, 12th for intercepts and were one of the most inaccurate teams in front of goal.

Do you know why Carlton have these terrible stats?

Carlton was ranked dead last in the AFL for disposals, second-last for contested possessions, third-last for tackles, clearances and disposal efficiency, 12th for intercepts and were one of the most inaccurate teams in front of goal.

Do you know why Carlton have these terrible stats?

You have already rolled this out and yes I know why those numbers were so poor.

Do you know why the Demons had poor numbers in 2020 and how they turned them around in one off season?

You have already rolled this out and yes I know why those numbers were so poor.

Do you know why the Demons had poor numbers in 2020 and how they turned them around in one off season?

Demons were a mixed bag in 2020 narrowly missing finals, I'd be guessing about the specifics. I'm sure you know?

Why was Carlton ranked dead last in the AFL for disposals, second-last for contested possessions, third-last for tackles, clearances and disposal efficiency, 12th for intercepts and were one of the most inaccurate teams in front of goal?

Demons were a mixed bag in 2020 narrowly missing finals, I'd be guessing about the specifics. I'm sure you know?

Why was Carlton ranked dead last in the AFL for disposals, second-last for contested possessions, third-last for tackles, clearances and disposal efficiency, 12th for intercepts and were one of the most inaccurate teams in front of goal?

So you don't even know why your side had poor numbers and how they turned them around. Just another example that a side can rectify their shortfalls in one off season. By the way, you were below us for disposal efficiency, so you really need to put that into more context

Our numbers were poor in those areas due to an overly attacking, longer kicking gameplan.

Less disposal = Kicking longer to targets rather than sharing it more by hand and shorter hit up targets, next to no tempo, resulting in lower average disposals

Contested possessions = Setting up too attacking/wide resulting in us trying to play shootout footy. Cheating by running forward before possession was gained.

Tackles = Similar to the above, wanting a wide setup, so when we did turnover the ball, the setup/ground was way to open, less time to be in the strike zone to tackle

Clearances = See the last 2 points

Efficiency - See Disposal averages, add to that we had a higher kick (generally longer) to handball ratio. Bombers, Hawks Cats, Dog handball more, hence the better efficiency rate in the competition

Intercepts - Gameplan was setup up for when we had possession (wide/open), rather than having extra numbers at and or behind the ball

All the above was gameplan based, which I am confident will change under Voss, but to what degree and how quickly, is unknown

Last edited:
Carlton was ranked dead last in the AFL for disposals, second-last for contested possessions, third-last for tackles, clearances and disposal efficiency, 12th for intercepts and were one of the most inaccurate teams in front of goal......not to mention losing 1 of the elite defenders
Surely this is a gd sign. If they fix all of these in one off season it’s definitely finals.

So you don't even know why your side had poor numbers and how they turned them around. Just another example that a side can rectify their shortfalls in one off season. By the way, you were below us for disposal efficiency, so you really need to put that into more context

Our numbers were poor in those areas due to an overly attacking, longer kicking gameplan.

Less disposal = Kicking longer to targets rather than sharing it more by hand and shorter hit up targets, next to no tempo, resulting in lower average disposals

Contested possessions = Setting up too attacking/wide resulting in us trying to play shootout footy. Cheating by running forward before possession was gained.

Tackles = Similar to the above, wanting a wide setup, so when we did turnover the ball, the setup/ground was way to open, less time to be in the strike zone to tackle

Clearances = See the last 2 points

Efficiency - See Disposal averages, add to that we had a higher kick (generally longer) to handball ratio. Bombers, Hawks Cats, Dog handball more, hence the better efficiency rate in the competition

Intercepts - Gameplan was setup up for when we had possession (wide/open), rather than having extra numbers at and or behind the ball

Right, we'll just ignore the recruiting.

I better warn Richmond that Teague's game plan is kick long to an opponent, don't win contested possession, don't tackle and don't intercept.

My work is done here.

Back