Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are smart enough to figure out it means comparatively mild
But what does comparatively mild mean?
In comparison to what?

Death-rate of Chicken pox amongst aborigines was 25%. That is virulent.

Delta strain of Covid 15% in South Africa

Delta strain fatality rate around 3.4%

Spanish flu was approx 2.5%

Omicron is about 0.3%

Increased levels of immunity through vaccinations has clearly reduced the fatality rate of Covid-19.

Nevertheless no time for complacency. Hospitalisations in the US are at a record high, meaning that more people are now being treated for serious COVID than at any point in the pandemic. We are still several weeks behind this juncture.

I am assuming Morrison is hoping the pandemic will transition into an endemic. COVID-19 will continue to circulate, but people will have gained enough immunity to it from vaccinations and natural infection (via the relatively mild Omicron strain) that there would be significantly less transmission.
Overall in Australia based on closed cases we are tracking at 0.4% case fatality rate currently. I know this includes all previous variants

0.3% means an average of around 3k per 1 million cases, we've got over 1 million confirmed active cases currently meaning we've got another 3300 deaths coming, more than we've had during the entire pandemic so far.

So yeah while less people are dying on a per case basis we're going to have more deaths from opening up to Omicron than we had from locking down for previous variants, and that is with high vaccine coverage.

Its also as I've mentioned focusing purely on death as a measure of severity and ignoring long term health issues for people that don't die from it, which can include reduced lifespan

So again what makes us lucky that Omicron is the one that the Governments chose to let it rip on?

Death rate is down compared to reported infections, but surely in itself is a concern.

It’s worse for you in hospital unvaccinated, but the transmission must be among vaccinated, perhaps even unvaccinated. Perhaps the greater likelihood of being asymptomatic means people are transmitting it unawares?

Givien the remaining unvaccinated (and some simply cannot not by choice) would need a couple of months to get the two shots, what then?

In comparison to what?

Overall in Australia based on closed cases we are tracking at 0.4% case fatality rate currently. I know this includes all previous variants

0.3% means an average of around 3k per 1 million cases, we've got over 1 million confirmed active cases currently meaning we've got another 3300 deaths coming, more than we've had during the entire pandemic so far.

So yeah while less people are dying on a per case basis we're going to have more deaths from opening up to Omicron than we had from locking down for previous variants, and that is with high vaccine coverage.

Its also as I've mentioned focusing purely on death as a measure of severity and ignoring long term health issues for people that don't die from it, which can include reduced lifespan

So again what makes us lucky that Omicron is the one that the Governments chose to let it rip on?

They didn’t appear so keen on the ‘let it rip’ when they thought it came from Africa( feds that is)

In comparison to what?

They didn’t appear so keen on the ‘let it rip’ when they thought it came from Africa( feds that is)
Victoria is calling a “Code Brown” for all Metro hospitals, and the 6 large regional hospitals, in response to Covid. Hospitals to defer non-urgent services and ‘talk’ to staff about cancelling planned leave. It’s expected to last 4-6 weeks.

Death-rate of Chicken pox amongst aborigines was 25%. That is virulent.

Delta strain of Covid 15%, in unvaccinated South Africa

Delta strain fatality rate around 3.4%

Spanish flu was approx 2.5%

Omicron is about 0.3%

Increased levels of immunity through vaccinations has clearly reduced the fatality rate of Covid-19.

Nevertheless no time for complacency. Hospitalisations in the US are at a record high, meaning that more people are now being treated for serious COVID than at any point in the pandemic. We are still several weeks from this juncture.

I am assuming Morrison is hoping the pandemic will transition into an endemic. COVID-19 will continue to circulate, but people will have gained enough immunity to it from vaccinations and natural infection (via the relatively mild Omicron strain) that there would be significantly less transmission.

The US has appalling vaccination rates for stupid reasons.

The initial wave appears over (at least not growing). But it's not the last one. Perhaps we're up for bouts of COVID forever now, like Flu season, but more virulent and slightly more fatal?

Either way, systems should be being put in place. Not hoping that in two weeks it's a bit better and we can call it "the other side" until the next outbreak.

I agree with the re calling it mild

1642472196767.png

We keep hearing milder than Delta but no context of where it would sit against Alpha for example

Less likely to cause pneumonia is good if that translates to people the same as in the animal studies, half as likely to need hospitalization is good compared to Delta but we are having so many more cases than we did with Delta that its going to mean more people in hospital anyway

1642472361019.png

ICU numbers are around the same of the peak of Delta in October but less on ventilators which might back up that pneumonia study or could just be evidence of increased vaccination rates from that last peak meaning less severe symptoms.

Code Brown where a hospital can cancel their staff's leave announced while the Health Minister is on leave. Just don't think it is a great look

• During a code brown hospitals can cancel their staff’s leave to ensure an adequate workforce is on hand.

DA came into office on arguably the most financially wasteful platform I can remember. His intrusive form of politics has been beneficial during this health crisis; I am thankful for his seemingly natural tendency to control and curb freedoms. However, after this immediate crisis has passed, but for another similarly severe emergency requiring limitation of civil liberties, I don't ever again want to the State of Victoria under leadership of the far-left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geez, where do you blokes get off. he's entitled to some time off. he's had a tough year. merlino with public service help will b just fine.
Everyone is entitled to leave absolutely. Having leave when a Code Brown is called where hospitals can cancel health workers leave is where I feel it is an issue

DA came into office on arguably the most financially wasteful platform I can remember. His intrusive form of politics has been beneficial during this health crisis; I am thankful for his seemingly natural tendency to control and curb freedoms. However, after this immediate crisis has passed, but for another similarly severe emergency requiring limitation of civil liberties, I don't ever again want to the State of Victoria under leadership of the far-left.
The fact you think Andrews government is far left shows how skewed politics is in this country

Code Brown where a hospital can cancel their staff's leave announced while the Health Minister is on leave. Just don't think it is a great look

More like how identity based political commentary is.
The code brown decision was taken by the hospital professionals a week ago, & its taken a week to clear the bureaucracy.

Far left & far right are trotted out regularly these days. These nutters have nil effect on Government & lose votes during elections.
Dismissing extreme views as unimportant doesn't tend to work well historically

Everyone is entitled to leave absolutely. Having leave when a Code Brown is called where hospitals can cancel health workers leave is where I feel it is an issue
he was on leave pre the call. once the call is made it's the public service etc who give effect 2 it. as merlino has said "health services r well prepared 4 it" if things deteriorated then i'd expect he'd return. unlike scummo who was forced back during the bush fires then came up with uncaring stuff like
'i don't hold the hose"

The fact you think Andrews government is far left shows how skewed politics is in this country
However one prefers to label his politics, I don’t appreciate a Premier proposing to constitutionally entrench policy (insofar as a statutory constitution could be regarded as being entrenched) so as to influence future decision making after he’s gone.

However one prefers to label his politics, I don’t appreciate a Premier proposing to constitutionally entrench policy (insofar as a statutory constitution could be regarded as being entrenched) so as to influence future decision making after he’s gone.
So you don't like governments making laws?
Is that just an Andrew's thing or a general thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back