Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

99% of Melbourne and Bulldogs players couldn't give a rats ass about freed from desire and the usual media nuffs (Tom Browne/Tom Morris) who love to sensationalize everything rather then report the truth are pumping it up to make a rivalry when in realisty losing a Grand Final is all the spice needed.
This aged so well. Genuinely.

I don’t know if its popular or unpopular, but deliberate out of bounds rule needs to be scrapped. Its the only rule where the umpire needs to know what a player is thinking. Ridiculous.
Plus the original reason it was brought in - time wasting- is no longer the case. When it was introduced the quarters were 25mins plus time-on but the clock didn’t stop when the ball went out of bounds. So it was time wasting, usually 30 seconds or so as the game clock kept running.
But when they switched to 20mins plus time on they also made the official game clock stop when it went out of bounds. So there is no time wasting anymore. Clock doesnt restart until ball back in play.

So just scrap it. Remove the greyish rule in the book.

I don’t know if its popular or unpopular, but deliberate out of bounds rule needs to be scrapped. Its the only rule where the umpire needs to know what a player is thinking. Ridiculous.
Plus the original reason it was brought in - time wasting- is no longer the case. When it was introduced the quarters were 25mins plus time-on but the clock didn’t stop when the ball went out of bounds. So it was time wasting, usually 30 seconds or so as the game clock kept running.
But when they switched to 20mins plus time on they also made the official game clock stop when it went out of bounds. So there is no time wasting anymore. Clock doesnt restart until ball back in play.

I like the rule makes players more accountable don’t just have a get out of jail free card around the entire oval.

Melbourne at not far ahead of the pack, if ahead at all... They finished top in H&A but it was tight at the top and they certainly weren't a stand out dominant team all year.
I agree it's a close competition and there's a few teams that could win the flag this year, but last season we only lost four games and one of those was by a point. The only other teams to go through a season with only 4 losses in the last ten years were Hawthorn in 2013 and Richmond in 2018. That's pretty bloody dominant.

I dont know if it's unpopular but I don't like the style of the AFL logo for the reigning premiers. It just looks faded. They should either make the letters gold so it stands out or put a premiership cup beneath/above the AFL logo.

I don't think Bailey Smith is particularly good looking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Dermie as a commentator and enjoy his ultra specific stream-of-conscious musings during a neutral game.
I don’t love Dermie, but there’s seriously far worse out there. Especially since he’s only special comments, he rarely ruins the spectacle and can contribute with points that make you consider the game a bit deeper (I mean, that’s his job).

When you have Der-Wayne saying “ALL RISE!!” and JB calling every player a superstar that’s when the game is genuinely ruined for me. It’s genuinely unlistenable. At least BT has an element of unpredictability about him.

The Dogs' GF loss and Tom Morris saga will be the 2022 version of the Crows GF loss and their pre-season camp.
The sky is the limit for the Dogs now that Tom Morris is out of the picture. He was single-handedly destroying the club according to Bevo.

I agree it's a close competition and there's a few teams that could win the flag this year, but last season we only lost four games and one of those was by a point. The only other teams to go through a season with only 4 losses in the last ten years were Hawthorn in 2013 and Richmond in 2018. That's pretty bloody dominant.

You were a dumb 50m penalty and a dumb ruckman away from finishing 3rd. Close at the top. Though I do think over the course of the year the best two teams made it to the GF and the best won.

All three players that Collingwood traded to alleviate the salary cap at the end of 2020 have been irrelevant since joining their new clubs. In another universe if the Magpies kept all three, they wouldn't have saved the club from their dreadful bottom four finish last season.

Tom Phillips - played all 22 games for Hawthorn last season and did not crack the top 10 of their B&F. Wasn't picked to start in their 22 for round one.
Jaidyn Stephenson - couldn't crack the top 10 of the B&F at the bottom side. Will be plying his trade in the VFL in a few weeks if he keeps up his current form. I've been a big backer of him despite his softness and fading in and out of games, but even I can't stick up for him at the moment.
Adam Treloar - clearly the best of the three at the moment but the Bulldogs are wasting their money on a 5th string midfielder who won't give anything defensively. Despite the fact they've tied Collingwood to paying $300k a year to play for them, I still think they shouldn't have traded him in. Increasingly injury prone and getting slower and slower by foot, I think Treloar could be retired by 30 or 31.

That's not to say Collingwood won these trades. The club's inability to get anything of note in return for these players is still a failure.

Adam Treloar - clearly the best of the three at the moment but the Bulldogs are wasting their money on a 5th string midfielder who won't give anything defensively. Despite the fact they've tied Collingwood to paying $300k a year to play for them, I still think they shouldn't have traded him in. Increasingly injury prone and getting slower and slower by foot, I think Treloar could be retired by 30 or 31.

That's not to say Collingwood won these trades. The club's inability to get anything of note in return for these players is still a failure.
I don't think he'll contribute much in his last season (perhaps his last two years) but he was probably our best player on GF day.

I don't think he'll contribute much in his last season (perhaps his last two years) but he was probably our best player on GF day.
He can still play some great football, but I can't help but notice how little defensive football he offers as your 5th or maybe even 6th best midfielder. And I feel that every 10 games he plays is less impressive than the last 10 he played. I watched every game he played for Collingwood, and I've probably seen every game he's played for you guys, and I think his overall game is falling away dramatically, and only his goal sense remains elite for his role.

I don't think he could have it any easier when impacting games by playing with Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Libba and Smith. I'd say he'd be getting absolutely pantsed if he played for a club with poor midfield depth.

All three players that Collingwood traded to alleviate the salary cap at the end of 2020 have been irrelevant since joining their new clubs. In another universe if the Magpies kept all three, they wouldn't have saved the club from their dreadful bottom four finish last season.

Tom Phillips - played all 22 games for Hawthorn last season and did not crack the top 10 of their B&F. Wasn't picked to start in their 22 for round one.
Jaidyn Stephenson - couldn't crack the top 10 of the B&F at the bottom side. Will be plying his trade in the VFL in a few weeks if he keeps up his current form. I've been a big backer of him despite his softness and fading in and out of games, but even I can't stick up for him at the moment.

Phillips is a run of the mill winger who looked good in a good team.
I know we only paid peanuts for him so in theory is a bargain but reminds me of Tom Scully as he runs a lot but then butchers it

Dustin Martin is overrated :)
Nene Leakes GIF

Do you replace it with a last touch or boundary throw guaranteed every time?
If it’s the latter, players will just handball /kick to the line any time there in trouble. It would ruin the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back